Apple's 'Carpool Karaoke' TV Series to Debut on August 8

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 30, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today announced that its first original television show, "Carpool Karaoke: The Series," will debut on Apple Music on Tuesday, August 8.

"Carpool Karaoke: The Series" is based on the popular Carpool Karaoke segment from "The Late Late Show with James Corden." Apple purchased rights to the show back in mid-2016 and showed off the first trailer in February. The show was originally supposed to launch in April, but its debut was delayed.

"Carpool Karaoke" will feature 16 half-hour episodes starring celebrity pairs riding in a car as they sing songs together. Each episode, produced by James Corden, Ben Winston, and Eric Kankowski, will feature a different host. New episodes will premiere on Tuesdays.

Today's "Carpool Karaoke" update includes a list of each of the celebrities pairings that will be featured on the show, ranging from Will Smith and James Corden to "Game of Thrones" stars Maisie Williams and Sophie Turner.
    "Carpool Karaoke: The Series" will be available solely to Apple Music subscribers in more than 100 countries.

Article Link: Apple's 'Carpool Karaoke' TV Series to Debut on August 8

2. Appleaker macrumors 68020

I wonder if the early publicity with the trailer and social media, etc was to get Apple Music subscribers up so they can reach a milestone before WWDC.

3. robjulo macrumors 65816

4. star_nerdy macrumors member

Apple would be 100x better off stealing YouTubers with 2 million+ subscribers, finding the ones with the best production quality, bringing them to campus and saying have at it.

The last thing this world needs is another celebrity interview show.

5. Schwyz, May 30, 2017
    Last edited: May 31, 2017

Schwyz macrumors regular

Schwyz

6. Munky macrumors 6502

They must have a full WWDC if they didn't need to announce this there.

7. filmantopia macrumors 6502a

filmantopia

Not the most exciting thing for me personally, but this is just their 'toe in the water', so I'm excited to see where Apple goes with their original programming... Especially if the rumors of their series developments in the realm of "Stranger Things" and "Westworld" comes to fruition.

8. carrrrrlos macrumors 6502a

carrrrrlos

9. 1applerules1 macrumors regular

It could have been a Sci Fi civil war action deama but no... Carpool karaoke...:mad:

10. itsmilo macrumors 68020

itsmilo

This was cool early last year. They are soooooo late when it comes to what is "hip" in pop culture. Whats next, iMessage Stories?

What does Apple MUSIC have to do with TV anyway. Its like selling movies in iTUNES. Oh wait

11. PhillyGuy72 macrumors 65816

PhillyGuy72

"Apple's first original TV series is finally coming"
    [​IMG]

....but, but...it's not "original." :eek:

12. BruiserBear macrumors 6502a

I was thinking the exact same thing. Carpool Karaoke is already at that point where it seems rather boring, and doesn't get near the attention it did last year. Delaying this until August is only going to make that even more obvious.

13. Chicane-UK macrumors 6502

14. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

15. Salty Pirate macrumors 6502

Salty Pirate

16. Jsameds macrumors 68040

Hate to tell you guys but we're the ones who are out of touch.

You may not like R'n'B radio or rap Apple Music exclusives or collaborations between Apple and specific brands or artists but there is no denying it generates a lot of cash and interest.

Hell, even the Touchbar MacBook that is despised on here has been received well among the community.

It's very easy to demonstrate. Guage the hate on here and compare it to the sales and revenue Apple generate. It is a small overlap on a Venn diagram.

The Macrumours usership is far, far removed from the Apple demographic. Like I said, out of touch.

17. Redneck1089 macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

18. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Are we really out of touch? I can think of at least a couple Apple attempts at social media type things that have failed hard. Game Center, the iTunes Ping. From the sneak peak vid it doesn't look like(at least to me) that big of a success. I liked the idea that @star_nerdy mentioned.

19. dominiongamma macrumors 65816

Apple has really lost it if they go through with this. Cancel it before it's too late

20. UltimaKilo macrumors 6502

This is so stupid. Why would they take a segment from a late night talk show and produce it into anything? What's next, and whole show dedicated to Letterman's top 10?

If Apple wants to dip their toes into content creation with streaming video, this is not it. Purchasing Netflix when it was below $95 a share in 2015 would have been a better idea than this crap.

21. convergent macrumors 68030

convergent

More evidence that Apple is really not focussed on the things that would attract me to spend any more of my money with them.

I really am sick of self righteous celebrities and this just throws more fuel on that fire. There are so many better things Apple could have done with their money to get their toe in the production water... heck, they could have just bought a major production company. The fact that this is their first step is telling. Not my cup of tea... haven't watched it before and have no intention of doing so.

I predict that it will be a big fail, and will probably quietly disappear about 12 months out when its luster wears off.

22. Bacillus Suspended

Bacillus

In my worst dreams, TC came up with Bono on stage. Instead, he will meet him in a taxi...
    (Oah, Music is in our genes etc.)

23. cardfan macrumors 68000

Apple Music doesn't need video to make it better. It needs hardware. A decent app might help too.

24. DNichter macrumors 604

DNichter

Not looking forward to this, but I am hoping it is a success on some level. I see Netflix putting out tons of original content (some sticks, some is crap) and I see no reason why Apple couldn't do the same thing, only better. Hire the best writers/directors/actors and start approving projects. This, included with unlimited streaming movies and tv shows from iTunes, and live TV, has the potential to be huge. Might as well use that money.

25. You are the One macrumors 6502a

You are the One