Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Mercedes-Benz has announced that Apple Music integration is coming to its MBUX infotainment system, starting with C-Class, S-Class, and EQS models.

mercedes-mbux-apple-music.jpg

Apple Music will integrate directly into Mercedes-Benz's MBUX infotainment system. Users simply need to link their online "Mercedes me" account to their vehicle, and then Apple Music subscribers will have access to its full library of more than 75 million songs, curated playlists, radio stations, and more.

Drivers can make requests using the "Hey Mercedes" voice command or tap on the display to play songs, albums, playlists, or radio stations.

Apple Music integration will be available in MBUX to new C-Class and S-Class owners starting this month, and to EQS owners later this summer. Existing C-Class and S-Class owners with the latest generation of MBUX will also be able to get Apple Music integration via an over-the-air update later this year.

Mercedes-Benz follows other automakers such as Porsche in adding Apple Music integration, totally separate to Apple CarPlay, directly in vehicle infotainment systems. Other new Apple-integrated features, such as time-synced lyrics and Apple Podcasts, also began to emerge on vehicles late last year.

Article Link: Apple Music Coming to Mercedes-Benz MBUX Infotainment System

TimFL1

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
Great. My brand-new maxed out CLA seems to already be obsolete… should‘ve waited for the new C-class.

This was my number one request for MBUX, pretty bummed out that they don‘t add this to the other MBUX vehicles. Should‘ve accepted that MBUX senior software engineer job offer from 2 years ago to get some insight in how f***ed up management decisions are made over there.

moabal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2010
Great. Now Tesla should do the same. I would love CarPlay but that would not be practical for them. If I could have access to Apple Music at least I would consider Tesla as my next car.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Great. My brand-new maxed out CLA seems to already be obsolete… should‘ve waited for the new C-class.

This was my number one request for MBUX, pretty bummed out that they don‘t add this to the other MBUX vehicles. Should‘ve accepted that MBUX senior software engineer job offer from 2 years ago to get some insight in how f***ed up management decisions are made over there.
If this is how you react to something as trivial as the inclusion a music service, I think Mercedes dodged a bullet. :D

haruhiko

macrumors 603
Sep 29, 2009
It‘s frustrating when you consider you bought top-of-the-line not even half a year ago and they forget about your model.
Typical Mercedes. In Hong Kong, all cars are offline until 2020 model year. Yes, even cars sold in 2020 in Hong Kong don’t have Mercedes me. The model of outsourcing everything to dealers really have to die. It will hurt Mercedes’ brand image in the long run.

gjdarbo

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2020
I literally won’t buy a Tesla because it doesn’t have CarPlay. They could at least add this.
I thought the same before I got my Model Y last year…but don’t let that hold you back. The UI in a Tesla is so much better than CarPlay. CarPlay looks so cartoon-y and outdated compared to Tesla’s software IMO that now I hope it never comes to the vehicle (and knowing Elon, it probably never will). I switched from Apple Music to Spotify just to be able to use Tesla’s Spotify app and I haven’t missed it one bit. This is coming from someone who is heavily invested in the Apple ecosystem.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
It‘s frustrating when you consider you bought top-of-the-line not even half a year ago and they forget about your model.
Considering Car-Play is still available in your car... I don't get the frustration. We're talking about a couple of extra button presses or swipes. Your car still does everything it did when you bought it. Seems like this is no big deal. Everybody's different though. For someone who has to have the latest and greatest, it might present an issue. Me? I never buy on the promise of future updates.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Or just buy a Tesla... the 2012 Model S received dozens of the same free OTA updates that the 2021 vehicles did (granted, it didn't receive all the features... they can't magically give it new cameras and other sensors... but as much as possible, they keep all the vehicles running the same software. They're like Apple in that regard but to a greater extreme sense since the vehicles are expected to be in use for several decades, not ~5 years like an iPhone.)

dmylrea

macrumors 68040
Sep 27, 2005
The name "MBUX" is so awful. It sounds like an internal engineering project nickname that accidentally stuck around all the way through marketing as a placeholder and never got replaced like it was supposed to.
I know nothing about Mercedes (other than my friends' is always in the shop for one thing or another), but the MBUX sounds like some gimmicky rewards program where the more you buy, the more "M-Bucks" you earn.

AppleTO

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2018
Toronto, Canada
As a tech enthusiast, I find car infotainment systems infuriating. Worse than smart TVs.

Car manufactures rarely update existing systems with new functionality, despite the high cost of the components; most of which are underpowered.

I can only hope that this changes in the future. It seems like more and more companies are doing over the air updates now so that’s a good start.

When I buy a new vehicle, I would want to be able to have update-to-date software and features for a reasonable amount of time. Same as my iPhone.

ryanasimov

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2007
I think MB is doing this because they're hoping more in-car data plans will be activated.

Also, the Daimler press release says it's not exclusive to Apple; Amazon, Spotify, and Tidal functionality are also built-in. I guess this is for people who find CarPlay too difficult to master.

page3

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2003
Outside the EU
MBUX isn't great and the first thing I do is connect up the iPhone and switch to CarPlay. Wouldn't be without PlexAmp, Prologue, Audible and Apple Maps.

Saying that, I'm possibly going to a Tesla Model 3 next (already have an Ioniq electric) but the lack of CarPlay is going to be a real pain.

Reactions: haruhiko

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
I think MB is doing this because they're hoping more in-car data plans will be activated.

Also, the Daimler press release says it's not exclusive to Apple; Amazon, Spotify, and Tidal functionality are also built-in. I guess this is for people who find CarPlay too difficult to master.
If people think CarPlay (or android auto even) is difficult, they probably shouldn’t have a license to operate a two ton death machine.

parfy

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2010
Cardiff
If this has to use the in car data plan rather than via your phone this makes no economical sense at all. At least in the UK the data plans through the car are a bloody rip off.

Reactions: StefDeLux
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.