agentkow

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
New iPods Next Week?

It pretty much says it all on iLounge:

Apple plans special event next week

Apple appears to be set to introduce an all-new iPod next week as the company will hold a special event at the Moscone Center in San Francisco, California. Apple has used similar events in the past to make such major announcements.

In an invitation sent to select media, including iLounge, Apple hints that it will unveil a significant new product at the event. The invitation reads in part: “1000 songs in your pocket changed everything. Here we go again.” The slogan “1000 songs in your pocket” was first used by Apple when the original 5GB iPod was introduced in 2001.

The invitation-only event will take place on Wednesday, September 7 at 10:00 a.m. iLounge will be in attendance to bring you coverage.
I don't know why macrumors hasn't jumped on this yet, or am I missing something somewhere?

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
My guess...

iPod Pro that plugs into your HDTV and download's h.264 content from iTunes. The year of HD is about to come to fruition :D

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
In an invitation sent to select media, including iLounge, Apple hints that it will unveil a significant new product at the event. The invitation reads in part: “1000 songs in your pocket changed everything. Here we go again.”

Hmm... interesting. No guarantee it will be a new iPod though – just the hint that Apple believe it will be as revolutionary as. Of course, I've not seen the invitation in it's entirety (just the quote in the opening post), but my guess... maybe the new iTunes Motorola phone is finally going to be unveiled?

agentkow

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
Jaffa Cake said:
Hmm... interesting. No guarantee it will be a new iPod though – just the hint that Apple believe it will be as revolutionary as. Of course, I've not seen the invitation in it's entirety (just the quote in the opening post), but my guess... maybe the new iTunes Motorola phone is finally going to be unveiled?
Do you think they would mention the 1000 songs angle then if its going to seem measly compared to the 100 or so the phone could hold?

Or do they have some revolutionary storage thingy up their sleeves?

asif786

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2004
London, UK.
wow, this is very exciting. Moscone center means it's definitely something big..

hmmm..i'm hoping video ipod or something similar. maybe iTunes 5?

toneloco2881

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2005
My guess would be an entirely new device. Whether that means a video iPod remains to be seen? I don't think Apple would make such a brash statement for something as "evolutionary" as a shuffle with a screen, or even the Motorola handset. Then again, Apple is the king of hyperbole so there's no telling...

agentkow

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
Obviously the most revolutionary and biggest possible announcement would be the addition of folders to iTunes.

I would rent out Moscone Center just to tell the world about it...

thequicksilver

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2004
Birmingham
This sounds pretty big, and from the wording it's obviously something along the iPod line that's being renewed.

Question is, what the hell will come in Paris if this is coming now?

qzak

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2005
Video Ipod would be the only thing out of the things listed already that would require such a big event. I mean, renting out a center, inviting the press with a tag like "here we go again", all that jazz just for an upgrade to iTunes?!?! no way. but then again it is Apple and like someone already said, they looove hyping stuff up.

XIII

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2004
England
I think its gotta be the video iPod. I would be all over that. :D

Alternatively, something HD..

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2003
Cardiff, Wales
It's:

New iPod shuffles, still no screen but bigger capacity.

New iPod minis, with screen but flash memory instead of Hard disk.

New iPod movies, as iPod photo was the 'special' range and they've become standard iPods, so we need something to take that place.

New Motorola iPod phone, Apple wrote at that Moto media event they would be out within 66 days.

New Airport Express + AirTunes, 5.1 Support? That's more HD than Stereo and it is the 'Year of HD'.

New Apple iTablet/iTunes controller - So one can control their music on the fly. Wall mount it. Etc.

the_mole1314

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Akron, OH
It's a side-show music event, WHY THE HELL DO YOU THINK THEY'LL ANNOUCNE ANYTHING BIGGER THAN THE PHONE?

I mean really people, we have Apple Expo less than a month away.....

thequicksilver

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2004
Birmingham
the_mole1314 said:
It's a side-show music event, WHY THE HELL DO YOU THINK THEY'LL ANNOUCNE ANYTHING BIGGER THAN THE PHONE?

I mean really people, we have Apple Expo less than a month away.....
Because at the previous "side-show music events" they launched:

• New white iPods (2003)
• iTMS USA (2003)
• iTMS UK, France, Germany (London 2004)
• iPod photo (2004)
• U2 iPod (2004)

Also, 1000 songs on a phone?