Apple Music Expands to Android With New App

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 10, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple is launching its first major app for Android devices today, expanding its Apple Music platform to Android-based smartphones and tablets. With the introduction of a beta Apple Music app for the Google Play Store, Android users will be able to subscribe to the Apple Music streaming service, listen to Beats 1 radio, and access the Apple Connect artist-based social network.

The new Apple Music app is available from the Google Play store and requires Android 4.3 or later. It's available in all of the countries where Apple Music for iOS is available, with the exception of China. Apple Music includes the same three-month trial for Android users and it is priced the same - $9.99 for an individual plan and $14.99 for a family plan.

[​IMG]
    Image via TechCrunch

TechCrunch spoke with Eddy Cue about the launch of the new Android app for Apple Music, who said Apple's decision to create an Apple Music Android app was based on a desire to let people enjoy music "no matter where you were and what products you were using." Apple wants "everyone in the world" to be able to try Apple Music, including those in areas where Android devices remain more popular than iOS devices.

Apple Music for Android offers a design that's similar to the iOS version, but as it's a beta, it does not yet include Music Videos or the ability to sign up for a family membership within the app. Family memberships will need to be purchased on an iOS device. According to Cue, Apple Music is "a full native app" that will "feel very much like an Android app."
    Apple Music is not Apple's first app for Android, but it is the most significant. Apple previously released a "Move to iOS" app that helps Android users transition to the iPhone, and it's launched an Android app for controlling the Beats Pill+ speaker. All of Apple's Android apps have come in the last few months, signaling its willingness to expand beyond the iOS ecosystem for the first time.

Article Link: Apple Music Expands to Android With New App

2. Goldfrapp, Nov 10, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2015

Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

3. lolkthxbai macrumors 65816

lolkthxbai

For real, the other two apps are at 2-star ratings and you can tell there's a clear bias towards the app from the negative reviews based on the content of the reviews themselves.

4. Alex Moran macrumors member

5. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

6. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

At least, they got a better layout.

Thanks, Taylor.

7. spoa94 macrumors 6502a

spoa94

8. Junipr macrumors regular

Junipr

9. Mascots macrumors 68000

Mascots

Jesus, I wish people were this passionate about Coke and Pepsi.

10. aldrinjtauro macrumors regular

Holy crap, they built the music player that Google previewed at I/O 2014 with Lollipop but never actually built...

11. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

This made me laugh so hard, but I'm sure the joke will be lost on most people here.

12. iLoveDeveloping, Nov 10, 2015

iLoveDeveloping macrumors 6502

Wow I've never seen an apple product look so bad on that ***** looking hardware..

13. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

14. JosephAW macrumors 68020

JosephAW

What's next? iOS 9 support for Windows XP 32 bit?

15. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

At least Apple used Android's design. Google on the other hand is insistent on shoving material design down our throats. Whether one prefers that to iOS isn't the point. If you're designing an app for iOS it shouldn't look like Android.

16. dumastudetto macrumors 68040

Great that Android users can now enjoy the best music service on the planet. But I really want that Sonos integration update to come. I hope it doesn't slip into next year. There's been no beta testing yet on the Sonos beta program.

17. ArtOfWarfare, Nov 10, 2015

ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

Last I knew, Apple forbids apps from being numbered below 1.0 on their App Stores. Interesting that they don't follow their own App Store rules when posting to App Stores run by other companies.

Edit - I stand corrected:

18. danakin, Nov 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2015

danakin macrumors regular

danakin

At least spell hardware correctly.

19. jasheeky macrumors member

Does the Google Play store take a cut of in-app subscriptions like Apple does for Spotify?

20. deejaykorn macrumors member

I wish the iOS version had an option like the Android version to control the cache size.

Attached Files:

21. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

The trouble is, it'd be difficult to distinguish between who's trolling and who isn't. Mainly because Apple Music sucks enough on iOS/iTunes, there's no chance it'll be anything above tragic on Android.

22. thefredelement macrumors 65816

thefredelement

It's like giving a glass of ice water to someone in hell.

23. Hustler1337, Nov 10, 2015

Hustler1337 macrumors 68000

Hustler1337

I had to rub my eyes three times to see if I was reading right. Apple's first proper app for Android.
    Lol, more like Apple wants everyone to spend their dollars on them. Eddy, be real here bro :)

24. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

That's odd, I thought Spotify already had an Android app.

25. bradkrischel macrumors 6502

Why would Apple follow their App Store rules when the app isn't going in their app store...?