Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Music Festival Bringing Pharrell, One Direction, and More to London

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced its 2015 Apple Music Festival lineup for next month, a free concert series that will bring Pharrell, One Direction, Florence + The Machine, and more to London's Roundhouse. A revamped version of the previous iTunes Festival, the 2015 version will see a scaled-down lineup with ten dates from September 19-28, down from the usual 30 nights extending throughout the month.

Apple will broadcast performances to music fans around the world for free, which can be viewed live and on-demand on Apple Music. The Apple Music Festival lets fans get even closer to their favorite performers with coverage on Beats 1? alongside backstage news and footage straight from the artists on Apple Music Connect.

"We wanted to do something really special for music fans this year," said Eddy Cue, Apple's senior vice president of Internet Software and Services. "The Apple Music Festival is a greatest hits set of ten unbelievable nights featuring some of the best performers on the planet appearing live and interacting directly with their fans on Connect and Beats 1."
With only a handful of artists announced so far, the remainder of the concert schedule will be filled out in the coming weeks. MacRumors has heard Take That will be part of the lineup, but Apple did not include the band in its initial round of announcements.

Admission for all concerts is free, but only UK residents can apply to win tickets with additional passes being made available through media partner giveaways.

Article Link: Apple Music Festival Bringing Pharrell, One Direction, and More to London

JoshuaPlays

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2015
I'm sad it's being scaled down, but I'm really glad it's still being put on. I was afraid it may not be kept around with the introduction of Apple Music.

Reactions: k1121j
Comment

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
The bands announced so far seem to be very mainstream. :(

I tried following the links to explore the festival to have a look if there are any more interesting bands scheduled to appear but got this error message in iTunes...
Screen Shot 2015-08-18 at 07.27.03.png

Which is interesting as I am running iTunes 12.2 or later...
Screen Shot 2015-08-18 at 07.27.28.png

I'm not signed up to an Apple Music membership though. Are Apple restricting ticket applications to Apple Music members?

Comment

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
This would be great if Apple Music was on Apple TV so we can watch on TV.

Most of the previous iTunes Festivals were shown live on the Apple TV and the Apple Music festival page in iTunes confirms that this years performances will also be shown on the Apple TV.

At the launch it was said that Apple Music will be coming to the Apple TV this Autumn.

Last edited:
Reactions: vmistery
Comment

moxxham

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Shame Lady Gaga isn't playing this year...she was brilliant in 2013. Same with Sigur Ros, they were awesome! Come to think of it, the 2013 iTunes festival had a brilliant lineup. Florence + The Machine will should be good this year though

Comment

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
I must be getting old: I don't know any of these kids. Never heard of them, never seen their faces and most likely never even heard their music (or whatever it is they do). I'm definitely not the kind of customer that Apple Music is trying to attract.

Comment

Macgeda

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2015
Berlin
Pop music has gotten so bad and lame that it has finally lost my interest.
I agree completely. Just for once I would love to see new talents being pushed and supported by the Festival series than pouring yet more fame and money into the cup of mainstream stars. But I might be missing the point of iTunes Festival completely. Maybe it is just that: A mainstream marketing event for the music industry and iTunes.

Comment

Reason077

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2007
Nice to see that the festival formally known as iTunes festival is still happening (albeit in a much scaled-back form). I guess they've just been super busy with the whole Apple Music thing.

I live near the Roundhouse and thought the writing was on wall after they started schedule other events during September.

Comment

NightFox

macrumors 68020
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
The bands announced so far seem to be very mainstream. :(

I tried following the links to explore the festival to have a look if there are any more interesting bands scheduled to appear but got this error message in iTunes...
View attachment 575805
Which is interesting as I am running iTunes 12.2 or later...
View attachment 575806
I'm not signed up to an Apple Music membership though. Are Apple restricting ticket applications to Apple Music members?

I get similar on my PC - the link just takes me to the download page for iTunes, even though I'm running 12.2.2.25 (with Apple Music). However, it works fine on my Mac. I'm guessing they just messed up their version check to allow the Mac version but forgot the Windows version. But you're not missing anything as the application process seems to be broken for now anyway.

Comment

rctlr

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2012
It used to be 30 days, now only 10 - does this mean it's got too expensive to run or cannot find enough bands to fill 30 days?

They could have used this to showcase new/upcoming UK artists using the stage as well as :apple:music, encouraging both artists and audience to use the platforms. Im sure there's plenty of new London talent that would jump at the chance.

Comment

Reason077

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2007
I agree completely. Just for once I would love to see new talents being pushed and supported by the Festival series than pouring yet more fame and money into the cup of mainstream stars. But I might be missing the point of iTunes Festival completely. Maybe it is just that: A mainstream marketing event for the music industry and iTunes.

The iTunes (Apple Music) Festival has always had a mix of mainstream and lesser-known, indy artists.

One Direction might not be your thing, but Disclosure and Florence + The Machine, while successful artists, can hardly be called mainstream pop stars. The lineup is designed to be diverse and have a wide appeal, not necessarily just to your specific personal demographic!

It looks like there must be more artists yet to be announced, as the festival is billed as starting on Sept 19th, but the first act is scheduled on the 22nd.

Comment

Reason077

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2007

No, I applied for tickets using the iOS Music app and it worked fine. I haven't yet activated my Apple Music free trial.

Comment

rctlr

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2012
@prowlmedia Just take back what you've just said about death metal and Tuvan Throat Singing. Have you not heard the two together?
Yes, there is.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.