Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple Music is available on the PlayStation 5 from today, offering the first fully integrated Apple Music experience on a game console, Sony has announced.

apple-music-ps5-main-recrop.jpg

The news comes after weeks of the Apple Music app intermittently appearing for PS5 users with no official word on the development from Apple or Sony. Apple Music on the PS5 allows subscribers to play more than 90 million songs, as well as a host of curated playlists and radio stations directly from their console. The app also supports music video playback in resolutions up to 4K.

Apple Music allows users to listen in a variety of ways, including in the background or during gameplay. Music videos also support continuous playback when navigating to and from the Apple Music app.

apple-music-ps5-menu.jpg

In addition to opening the Apple Music app, users can access Apple Music during gameplay by pressing the PS button on the DualSense wireless controller to access Control Center and the Music Function card. The Music Function card can display Apple Music recommendations to match the game that is currently being played, present playlists from a user's library, or even offer options to play Apple Music playlists specifically curated for gaming.

PS5 users can download the Apple Music app from the Media space and simply need to follow the on-screen instructions to link their Apple Music account. The process involves either scanning a QR code from an Apple device or manually entering Apple ID credentials. Apple also today updated its support document for Apple Music on Smart TVs to include game consoles.

Article Link: Apple Music for PS5 Available Now, First Integrated Experience on a Game Console

Last edited:

Razorpit

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2021
If only you could find and buy a PS5.
Literally just had "ours" delivered an hour ago. It's a Christmas present for my son and I. He doesn't know he's getting it.

Sony sent me an email with a special event/online sale. You had to have a PS Plus account though to order.

Reactions: orbital~debris

orbital~debris

macrumors 68020
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe
Yes! Nice collaboration, Apple & Sony ? I was playing some Plants vs. Zombies last week and recall thinking it would be great to be able to listen to some music (but I'm not a Spotify user and not about to start now!). Glad the rumours were true.

Music will be a really great addition to a stellar games console!

Last edited:

Minato1990

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2017
The unfortunate part with all these 3rd party app access, no Dolby Atmos and/or Lossless support. I'm addicted to hearing Atmos now.
I wonder is it possible with EARC?
Because that's how my Homepods are connected to my PS5, and also I can always just play music from my apple tv and switch to the PS5 and it keeps on playing.

What I'd like is Sony and Apple work so I can just connect my homepods to my PS5

Reactions: B/D

Stuey3D

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2014
Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
Confirmed no Atmos/Lossless on PS5 but to be honest that is no surprise as the PS5 only supports Atmos via BluRay HDMI audio pass through.

Hopefully the Xbox Series consoles get Apple Music soon and hopefully due to Microsofts licensing of Atmos and Vision for the Xbox Apple Music might have full Atmos support from the word go, the Xbox has full Atmos support activated via Dolby’s app and is on at all times too. Xbox also does a Dolby surround up mix built in to upscale non Atmos content to Atmos too.

Chorx

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2011
Lets hope Apple will be as aggressive about being everywhere as Spotify is. That's their only way to make inroads against Spotify. The only condition in which I'm leaving Spotify is if I can seamlessly throw music to any device in my house, like Spotify can while enabling the level of remote control Spotify does.

The most important thing in the Spotify product is how brilliantly its been engineered. They've taken a function over form approach and my entire family loves using it. I'd love to leave Spotify, but Apple does not have the functionality Spotify has and Airplay is not the answer.

There's something that Airplay does that is just too close to the system level. I cannot stand using it because I have no idea what I do on my phone will disrupt the playback on where the media is being played. The system volume controls are hijacked and I can't stand how when I use airplay for lets say, Disney+... I can't continue to use my device for anything else. I can't just toss a movie on my TV for the kids and go back to work with my phone.

Spotify lets you just pick a device signed into Spotify and leave it at that. There's none of this messy intermingling of my phone trying to figure out what I'm trying to control.

If Apple wants my business they need to figure out Airplay or do cloud based client session control like Spotify, and it needs to be available everywhere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.