Apple Music Gets Another Unofficial Web Player With Launch of 'Musish'

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 21, 2019.

1. tonyr6 macrumors 65816

tonyr6

I agree once is enough if someone does not trust it good for them don't keep repeating it. Meanwhile I love this webplayer it has some bugs but it still blows away iTunes. Maybe I can uninstall iTunes which I hate more.

2. chucker23n1 macrumors 68020

chucker23n1

But this third-party website doesn't receive the credentials.

This uses Apple's APIs. They literally created this so third parties like Musish can launch.

3. tonyr6 macrumors 65816

tonyr6

Also another reason why I hate iTunes. I found this out on my SSD was able to create an symbolic link to move it to the non SSD drive otherwise stupid iTunes would have been wearing out my SSD. 2019-01-21_153148.jpg
    Also you have to manual delete those junk files too. I once had nearly 10GB worth.

4. Rique macrumors member

Would love to have a look. It just hangs on "loading". Also, the authentication window opens in a non-viewable format (entry box is huge, cannot resize or re-position to fix the problem). I resolved that by copying the link and then opening a new full-size window and going from there.

However, as mentioned, it then hangs on "loading".

Loading....png

5. Ribitsch macrumors member

I can't login, every time I enter my account details, I only get to a white page
    (the login is ok, get redirected to apple login and 2factor identification, but the login won't be processed)

6. tonyr6 macrumors 65816

tonyr6

I wonder if this webplayer works with Chromebooks and Linux?

7. outskirtsofinfinity macrumors regular

outskirtsofinfinity

Nice concept. Hope this app doesn't get pulled from the store bc it violates Apple's terms of service...

8. tonyr6 macrumors 65816

tonyr6

Well https://playapplemusic.com/ still works and everyone said that will be pulled in a few days.
    Also this webplayer does not violate any Apple Music name in the URL.

9. jhfenton macrumors 6502a

jhfenton

Overall it seems to work well. Kudos!

I see two problems so far. My wife, kids, and I collectively have 37 playlists, and only 17 are loading. I can't see a pattern, except that my favorite playlists are not there. Most of my wife's and kids' are there.

Also, it's very minor, but the french "œ" ligature is incorrectly alphabetized as coming after "z". In other words, "Cœur de pirate" shows as the last artist beginning with "C". Apple correctly alphabetizes "œ" as "oe".

10. triptolemus macrumors 6502

triptolemus

I just tried it under Ubuntu 18 / Firefox and while I was able to login, I couldn't get anything to play. Gave up after a few minutes without trying any fixes, so... who knows? Seems busted under Linux at this point.

11. chucker23n1 macrumors 68020

chucker23n1

Should work, yes.

12. tonyr6 macrumors 65816

tonyr6

13. chucker23n1 macrumors 68020

chucker23n1

You may have to install AAC support in Ubuntu?

(edit) I just tried it in Firefox on macOS; works fine. Try installing ubuntu-restricted-extras.

14. Emanuel Rodriguez macrumors member

Emanuel Rodriguez

I'm sorry, but you're just wrong. Repeating the same falsehood doesn't make it correct. The developer does not gain access to your credentials in any way. The way federated logins work is the developer directs you to a website provided by the company (in this case, Apple), which then returns with a randomly generated token, which can't be guessed. This token can be used to access your Apple Music profile, but stops being usable the moment you log out. There is very little risk here, because Apple tightly controls what people can and cannot do with that token. If any abuse occurs, Apple can easily block all access to the API from that website.

15. 3rdiguy macrumors 65816

3rdiguy

Now that would be something special. If you try it and are successful please share in the forum. I’d like to hear about that.

16. tonyr6 macrumors 65816

tonyr6

Does the Chrome browser work on Linux? I use Chrome manly just for media playback since the fonts are not as clear. Firefox sometimes has issues with media so I use Firefox primary for web browsing.

17. munpip214 macrumors member

I don’t have Apple music but I do have iTunes match. Anybody else get that to work?

18. triptolemus macrumors 6502

triptolemus

That did it. Confirmed running in Ubuntu 18 / Firefox.

Thanks! Screen Shot 2019-01-21 at 1.32.15 PM.png

19. chucker23n1 macrumors 68020

chucker23n1

It's not about the browser (unless it ships with its own codecs); it's that Ubuntu doesn't ship an audio codec by default for licensing reasons.

20. 418 macrumors member

Would you like to store your online banking passwords in my super-secure open source online password manager? I promise I didn't modify it one bit.

But in all seriousness, if you're submitting your credentials to an Apple URI through an Apple login page and they go anywhere but to Apple then it's basically a browser bug.

21. iBug2 macrumors 68040

They should hire these people and have them rewrite iTunes.

22. Rique, Jan 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2019

Rique macrumors member

23. chinito77 macrumors regular

chinito77

Apple's going to sue and or buy out this idea. Only to make it available at the next conference as a new feature of Mac OS 10.13.

Just give me the old iTunes, don't need the social junk, just a good old music player.

24. chucker23n1 macrumors 68020

chucker23n1

This is literally using Apple-provided APIs.

25. killr_b macrumors 6502a

killr_b

I've noticed that this site- musi.sh and playapplemusic.com have the same problem in that they don't play tracks uploaded to iCloud Music Library that aren't matched.

For example, I have the original Slipknot album 870621345, not the rerelease titled "Slipknot" and not the 10th anniversary rerelease, and those tracks won't play.

So far all the content I checked like that won't play. But still cool.
    Just to add, those tracks play fine on my phone, ipad etc