Apple Music Gets Another Unofficial Web Player With Launch of 'Musish'

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 21, 2019.

1. mi7chy, Jan 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2019

mi7chy macrumors 603

mi7chy

People gloat about Apple integration all the time but not having a browser accessible Apple Maps/Music/etc. is a killer.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 21, 2019 ---
    People have been trained to avoid phishing sites so the uneasiness is fully warranted. There's no excusing Apple for not releasing an official web site like their competitors Soundcloud, Google Music, Amazon Music, etc.

2. [AUT] Thomas macrumors 6502

Would be hilarious if spotify used that API and integrated Apple Music then we don't need support for Apple Music anymore...

3. chucker23n1 macrumors 68020

chucker23n1

Right. This API only allows access to Apple Music, not to the iCloud Music Library.

That's a limitation on Apple's end. The same applies to, for example, playing Apple Music through Alexa; you don't get your own uploaded files there either. It's unclear if Apple intends to change this.
    I mean, if paying $10 for Spotify and another $10 for Apple Music just to play Apple Music inside Spotify is your cup of tea…?

4. killr_b macrumors 6502a

killr_b

Noted. Thank you

5. capandjudy macrumors member

capandjudy

I second that. I've had problems too numerous to go into over the years. Spotify is my music source on iOS. "It just works."

6. [AUT] Thomas macrumors 6502

Most people use a family account... Currently Apple Music support is extremely bad. If a paying Spotfy user can also link their Apple Music account allowing them to use various Spotify enabled hardware that would really help Apple Music AND spotify. Apple gets more support and spotify can collect statistics and possibly gets Apple Music customers who want to play their music on their exisiting hardware. So, spotify would earn a few bucks a month just acting as proxy. Win-Win.

7. BruceEBonus macrumors 65816

BruceEBonus

When does Sean Connery like to visit Wimbledon? Tennish!

And what does he like to listen to whilst waiting for his favourite players to appear? Musish!

:(

8. japanime macrumors 68000

japanime

I chuckled. :D

9. Vjosullivan macrumors 6502

Vjosullivan

Again?
    When was it great before?

10. YoitsTmac macrumors member

Damn, that UI looks more user friendly than Apple's. Not that it takes much to beat iTunes...

11. dingclancy23 macrumors regular

dingclancy23

I hope Apple does not shut it down. I do not think Apple should be the prime think-tank of what a Music app should feel and look like.

12. mcfrazieriv macrumors 6502a

mcfrazieriv

This is classic. Apple has been rumored to be doing many things. Remember... Tim Cook has an amazing pipeline........................................

13. Tech198, Jan 21, 2019

Tech198 macrumors G5

Is this gonna be a trend... You'll soon have 10+ unofficial AM websites? and more, up until Apple gets the message across ?

All this is good, giving users want they want, but all being 'unofficial' its just a 'bait and trap' approach... Since everyone is looking for a web based player, and Apple is not doing one, everyone rushes to anyone that does it... they then loose control of passing their AppleID to these unofficial websites, (something which always happens when you login via google or any website that allows Google login) its the same principal.

And being unofficial, says its more open to attack. I'd rather stick with good old iTunes.. although websites are good, i'm wanting Apple to to it, no one else.
    Remember TeenSafe iOS DB got hacked.

14. triptolemus, Jan 21, 2019

triptolemus macrumors 6502

triptolemus

Once again, you really should understand how this works before commenting. No one is passing their Apple ID to unofficial websites. The 2FA login is done through Apple's own API on Apple's website and is fully supported. This is not a hack. It is in no way similar to what Google does. At all.

Here is some information for your edification.

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/applemusicapi

15. Tech198 macrumors G5

And i never even mentioned 2FA...I was referring to normal logins. I was not indicating it was a hack neither

16. -BigMac- Suspended

-BigMac-

That's your fault, buying content limited to a platform, then leaving the platform, and expecting the content to come with you.

You going to sue when your can't transfer your frequent flier miles between the different Alliances too? lmao

17. burgman macrumors 68000

burgman

Well unknown guys on the internet says it’s ok, I’m all in /s
    I missed it when did you become Uber mod?

18. Kabeyun macrumors 68000

Kabeyun

Nifty, indeed, as long as one doesn’t mind entering one’s Apple ID credentials on an office workstation. I know I do.

19. burgman macrumors 68000

burgman

Yeah without any documentation or a T&C, i’ll Leave the alpha testing to others. If there was another way to try without Apple ID I would. And yes to other posters, I know exactly how it works.

20. japanime macrumors 68000

japanime

Back when it was called SoundJam MP. :D

Seriously, before Apple bought SoundJam, that was a fantastic music player. So good, in fact, that I keep my registered version of it on an old PowerBook 2400 that I still use as a music server.

21. Braderunner macrumors 6502a

Soooo...they work at a desk, but can’t charge their phone? Bull. They should have been doing the work they’re paid to do.

22. kakinc macrumors member

Just saying, being open source doesn't make it safe. Those codes are there alright.
    But it is dependent on who manages the project and servers. Code can always be be added to the service/server.
    Not saying they did, but saying its safe because you can read the source code ain't it.

Its only safe, if you download the source code, inspect it, then host your own server.
    Just like any other open source programs, download, inspect, compile. Now that's safe.

23. phr0z3n macrumors member

phr0z3n

You’re right. Listening to music and doing something else at the same time goes beyond any human’s capability.

24. connormw macrumors newbie

connormw

Dude, you have no idea what you're actually talking about.

The NewEgg attack was caused by a direct injection of malicious code into the checkout page on NewEgg's servers. For a similar attack to work here, someone would have to compromise the Apple ID system on Apple's servers, change the code, and collect the data, all with Apple not finding out. This would not be the fault of any 3rd party app that uses the Authentication API. It would Apple's fault for not properly securing and auditing their systems and code.

Secondly, you literally contradicted yourself. You said "IMHO, if you are not directly on Apple's own site, I wouldn't be putting my iTunes credentials in at all." Yet, this is actually what you are doing in this case. The app redirects you to Apple's own, 1st party hosted authentication server, and then sends an "authentication for 'obfuscated id' accepted" back to the application. The app only has access to the services requested, and never ONCE sees your password, either in plaintext or encrypted.

People who don't know a thing about how security is implemented on the Internet shouldn't be talking about it. It makes you sound ignorant and spreads false information into the community.

25. theheadguy macrumors 65816

Understand how this works at the simplist level and you’d be more trusting.