Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
I also think this was a terrible move by Apple. A company shouldn't hijack a part of a subscription feature you paid for any political position or other sensitive subject. They only do this for promotional reasons just to let the world knows they are good people and I don't like this kind of attitude. The real fact is, I woke up and then update my mac with the new supplemental update and then I open the music app and boum, this message came in my face. I spent like 5 minutes trying to close this without knowing there'll be a special event and thought I had a problem with the update. I'm sure many people thought the same.

On top of that, I'm from Canada, so, yeah, we also have our problems, but the recent events in the U.S, is not our problem directly. "forcing" me to listen black music won't help the cause at all. This is a music streaming service, not an organization to help or support some sensitive cases.

That being said, I'm an annual subscriber to Apple Music so obviously I won't cancel my subscription. I have too many local stuff imported to AP over almost a decade now (with iTunes match before it) so I don’t want to re-do all this with another service, but I hope Apple learned their lessons and won't do this again.

Last edited:

happyprozak

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2008
I never said otherwise. As a business owner I know “business is business”. But I also think these campaigns ring hollow when they shy away from big issues because they are afraid to take risk. For example Apple is all about gay pride except in China and the Middle East. If these are things are really what the business believes in, then own it.

Businesses have a threshold of risk they allow themselves to take in all areas of decision making. It's a mistake to look at politics in business as black and white, it is very much a balancing act between the financial and political side. The risk level for speaking out on gay rights in the USA is significantly lower than doing the same in China or the Middle East so equating the two is an oversimplification of the complexity and dynamics amongst the same issues in different countries.

V_Man

Cancelled
Aug 1, 2013
God forbid we get trivially inconvenienced by all this. Maybe all those pesky protesters can quietly protest from their homes so we don’t have to be annoyed by their yammering. Don’t mind people trying to stimulate national outrage over police officers murdering people as long as we’re not bothered by it, amiright?
You are correct. If Apple wants to grandstand do it on their trillions not my money. The point is great. It’s how Apple continues to show its arrogance in how they convey the point.
[automerge]1591375554[/automerge]
This would be fine if it was a free service. But it is paid, and PAYING customers are having their service interrupted because of a (valid) social movement in response to a series of tragedies. At least put an (x) button at the top.

EDIT: Yes, we must end all forms of racism. However, I believe that the private sector should stay out of this. Social movements should be between the people and the state.
Bingo

Last edited:
Reactions: Breezygirl

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
Businesses have a threshold of risk they allow themselves to take in all areas of decision making. It's a mistake to look at politics in business as black and white, it is very much a balancing act between the financial and political side. The risk level for speaking out on gay rights in the USA is significantly lower than doing the same in China or the Middle East so equating the two is an oversimplification of the complexity and dynamics amongst the same issues in different countries.
I think you and others that have responded missed the point. I know business is business (I own a business). The point is that their virtue signaling feels fake and two-faced because they only do it in places where the marketing department decides.

Reactions: V_Man

V_Man

Cancelled
Aug 1, 2013
I really doubt whatever email or mailing address you used was directly to Tim Cook. Apple is a corporation and like any other corporation their main goal is to make money. Everything they do is to further that point. I'm just saying his social justice warrioring here is to make money and his lack of social justice warrioring about China is to make money. People get upset when corporations do that but there is nothing wrong with this. It's not a charity
So he’s a hipocrite

stevet

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2009
100% agree and it was not my intention to minimize the uneccesary method of restraint, I'm not a police officer either but keeping ones knee on the head and neck for that amount of time seems wholly uneccesary. My only point was murder is premeditated and probably not what happened in this case.

It doesn't matter if it's premeditated or not, with the length of time that passed by while he had his knee on his throat will turn manslaughter into murder. The cop is a bad guy, should have been fired along time ago, should never have been there.

Last edited:
Reactions: V_Man

techwhiz

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2010
Northern Ca.
It doesn't matter if it's premeditated or not, with the length of time that passed by while he had his knee on his throat will turn manslaughter into murder. The cop is a bad guy, should have been fired along time ago, should never have been there.

You are right.
Apologists want to rationalize and ask what did he do, etc... ?
The answer is nothing the deemed the death penalty on the sidewalk with no judge and jury.
The other thing those folks like to do is deflect. What about this, what about that?
Not one of them has addressed my question and statements. My mistake, one did and he only mentioned my nazi comment and ignored the rest. None of the apologists will address the statement below, because they can't. They say institutionalized racism didn't exist, but they remain quiet in the face of the real facts below. I'm still waiting for someone to tell me I'm lying about my statement below.
Waiting....
Waiting.....
Waiting......

When did white lives NOT matter is the question?
For 100+ years after slavery ended and we had Apartheid in America; it was legally okay to write into city charters banning the sale and rental of housing to Black people.
It was okay to deny equal opportunities in banking, housing, employment and education.
It was okay for the police to beat and abuse Black people with little or no punishment.
It was okay for white mobs to burn Black neighborhoods and kill Black citizens.
It was okay for the US to use Black people as candidates in human experiments without our consent and knowledge (Tuskegee Bad Blood Experiment).
It was okay to sterilize us without our consent.
It was fine for us to fight and die for our country in wars, but not to demand equality.
It was okay to turn dogs on us, to shoot us, to turn fire hoses on us when we demanded equality.
It was okay to militarize our neighborhoods to keep us "under control" when we demanded equality.
nazi Germany had nothing on the US Government when it came to mistreatment of people.
The US government just wasn't as blatant and sanitized the names.
We called the Native American Genocide, "The Trail of Tears".
We called concentration camps; "Japanese Internment Camps".
We called Apartheid; "Segregation", "Jim Crow" and "The Black Codes".
The "Eugenics Movement" may have become associated with Nazi's but America was doing it first.
We had no issue accepting nazi scientists after WWII because they were just like the rest of the racists in power.

People here need to wake up and stop trying to rationalize the institutionalized racism in America.
It is still systemic and pervasive.
You want an example?

Look at Alabama, they have monuments to confederate generals and soldiers.
The birthday of jefferson davis is a state holiday in Alabama.
When do we give traitors and separatists holidays?

The confederacy, it's flag and all that it stood for was and is racist.
An excerpt from the cornerstone speech by alexander stepehens - Vice President of the confederacy:

"Our new government is founded upon exactly the opposite ideas; its foundations are laid, its cornerstone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery, subordination to the superior race, is his natural and normal condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth. This truth has been slow in the process of its development, like all other truths in the various departments of science."

It doesn't get any more racist than this.

• Love
Reactions: Websnapx2

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
If Apple wants to grandstand do it on their trillions not my money. The point is great. It’s how Apple continues to show its arrogance in how they convey the point.
I see your point qualitatively, but you lose it quantitatively. An Apple Music day costs you 32¢. If you’re buying a family plan it costs you all of 50¢. For that people need to get uppity? Can manage a shrug, let alone a solemn nod, and listen to something else for a day. A day? I guess this is about priorities, and I can’t make yours for you. Me? I’ll manage to be okay listening to the radio. For the sake of making a high profile statement they can have my 50¢.

V_Man

Cancelled
Aug 1, 2013
I see your point qualitatively, but you lose it quantitatively. An Apple Music day costs you 32¢. If you’re buying a family plan it costs you all of 50¢. For that people need to get uppity? Can manage a shrug, let alone a solemn nod, and listen to something else for a day. A day? I guess this is about priorities, and I can’t make yours for you. Me? I’ll manage to be okay listening to the radio. For the sake of making a high profile statement they can have my 50¢.
I disagree. This is a paid service. This was an Apple political stunt. Period. If you want to overlook this. Great. That is your right. I’m not willing to give Apple a free pass on grandstanding. Which is exactly what this is.

It wasn’t a big deal, not that we had a choice. This is the problem. When you PAY for a service. It is “morally wrong” to remove services for a chance to grandstand.

Apple is constantly preaching morals when it’s convenient and looks good. But ignores them when it effects the bottom line.

I asked for my $.50 back. I was told no. I have the feeling a class action suit will be filed and a month of free service will be coming.

I am debating cancelling AM and using Spotify. My HomePods will work with AirPlay. This is when the eco system works to apples advantage. And could be considered a monopoly. They have a huge amount of control over your devices and that’s not right.

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
I disagree. This is a paid service. This was an Apple political stunt. Period. If you want to overlook this. Great. That is your right. I’m not willing to give Apple a free pass on grandstanding. Which is exactly what this is.

It wasn’t a big deal, not that we had a choice. This is the problem. When you PAY for a service. It is “morally wrong” to remove services for a chance to grandstand.

Apple is constantly preaching morals when it’s convenient and looks good. But ignores them when it effects the bottom line.

I asked for my $.50 back. I was told no. I have the feeling a class action suit will be filed and a month of free service will be coming.

I am debating cancelling AM and using Spotify. My HomePods will work with AirPlay. This is when the eco system works to apples advantage. And could be considered a monopoly. They have a huge amount of control over your devices and that’s not right.
Still want to switch to Spotify, which plans to steal 8¾ minutes of subscriber money? That has a paid tier too. So does Sirius XM. Is this an absolute evil in your eyes, or is your moral outrage proportional to the number of fractions of a cent of which you feel you were robbed? And btw, this is much of the entertainment industry, not just Apple grandstanding like some have said, including MTV, VH1, and Comedy Central which are all “going dark.” Those are paid too. Are these all “political stunts”? No such thing as authentic protest anymore? Let’s sue them all!

And btw btw, you can still listen to your Apple Music catalog. The. Whole. Catalog. You’re not going to lose anything besides Beats1 radio. You’re the only guy who exclusively listens to Beats1 radio? And since Beats1 radio is a tiny fraction of what an AM subscription buys, if you consider their multiple millions of tracks and other features, you probably should’ve asked for maybe a 6¢ refund instead of the whole 50¢, right? Your phone call probably cost more. Maybe chill just a little?

Last edited:

V_Man

Cancelled
Aug 1, 2013
Still want to switch to Spotify, which plans to steal 8¾ minutes of subscriber money? That has a paid tier too. So does Sirius XM. Is this an absolute evil in your eyes, or is your moral outrage proportional to the number of fractions of a cent of which you feel you were robbed? And btw, this is much of the entertainment industry, not just Apple grandstanding like some have said, including MTV, VH1, and Comedy Central which are all “going dark.” Those are paid too. Are these all “political stunts”? No such thing as authentic protest anymore? Let’s sue them all!

And btw btw, you can still listen to your Apple Music catalog. The. Whole. Catalog. You’re not going to lose anything besides Beats1 radio. You’re the only guy who exclusively listens to Beats1 radio? And since Beats1 radio is a tiny fraction of what an AM subscription buys, if you consider their multiple millions of tracks and other features, you probably should’ve asked for maybe a 6¢ refund instead of the whole 50¢, right? Your phone call probably cost more. Maybe chill just a little?
And hence the problem. You are willing to give all these company’s a pass. I not giving anyone a pass. I’m tired of the political grandstanding all these company do. Apple leads the pack though. Moral moral morals until China.

I never listen to Beats 1. Not my style of music.

Id rather give up 8 minutes rather than a full day. Even then I’m not listening to Spotifys blackout playlists. Did they change functionality of the app? Apple did. Why can’t you accept that not everyone worships apple and gives them a pass on everything. They stole from their customers. Accept it.

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
And hence the problem. You are willing to give all these company’s a pass. I not giving anyone a pass. I’m tired of the political grandstanding all these company do. Apple leads the pack though. Moral moral morals until China.

I never listen to Beats 1. Not my style of music.

Id rather give up 8 minutes rather than a full day. Even then I’m not listening to Spotifys blackout playlists. Did they change functionality of the app? Apple did. Why can’t you accept that not everyone worships apple and gives them a pass on everything. They stole from their customers. Accept it.
I think what needs to be accepted is that not everyone shares your personal hair-trigger outrage about this matter. Not everyone considers widespread corporate solidarity over a racial issue to be moral hypocrisy or a political dodge. Not everyone believes, like you do, that agreeing with companies, not just individuals, taking this stance is the same as fawning worship. Outside of the skewed distillate that is Macrumors forums, that is. In here, it can be normal for someone to actually admit that they took time out of their day to demand a 50¢ refund for a one-day isolated loss of Beats1 Radio. All this I have accepted long ago. But hey, you do the you thing.

• Love

V_Man

Cancelled
Aug 1, 2013
I think what needs to be accepted is that not everyone shares your personal hair-trigger outrage about this matter. Not everyone considers widespread corporate solidarity over a racial issue to be moral hypocrisy or a political dodge. Not everyone believes, like you do, that agreeing with companies, not just individuals, taking this stance is the same as fawning worship. Outside of the skewed distillate that is Macrumors forums, that is. In here, it can be normal for someone to actually admit that they took time out of their day to demand a 50¢ refund for a one-day isolated loss of Beats1 Radio. All this I have accepted long ago. But hey, you do the you thing.

Hair trigger outrage. Nope. Just want what is mine and what I paid for. Some on the other hand accept whatever Apple is serving hook line and sinker. I don’t.

Listen. The day is over with and done with. AM is back. ?? I understand the why just not the how. I’m sorry. But that’s all I’m saying. As other here have stated before sometimes it’s principle this time IMO is one of the times.

Last edited:

Xenden

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2013
Rio Rancho, NM
We had no issue accepting nazi scientists after WWII because they were just like the rest of the racists in power.

This had nothing to do with race, this had everything to do with getting these scientists on the USA side of the cold war.

The only, (i want to say good, but not in a good way, but in a something good came out the horrors of the holocaust way) is that we gained a vast amount of understanding of the human body, and the extremes that it can take.

We developed a lot of good out of the deaths that jewish people endured.

And i say this a person with jewish heritage.

It was okay for the US to use Black people as candidates in human experiments without our consent and knowledge (Tuskegee Bad Blood Experiment).

What about Henrietta Lacks, even though her cells were stolen, her cells have led to curing polio, as well as helping countless other studies.

Point being, what do we do with the information after we have it? Do we ignore it? Do we see if we can get the information an ethical way then use?

In my opinion, once you have the info, take it an do the best you can do for humanity with it.

We went to the moon for god sakes with the same tech that was used to launch the V2 rocket at our people.

Look at Alabama, they have monuments to confederate generals and soldiers.
The birthday of jefferson davis is a state holiday in Alabama.
When do we give traitors and separatists holidays?

You cannot erase or ignore history.

You can't just wipe out memorials and monuments to famous people because it is distful.

What's the saying, "those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it."

We should have those monuments on display to remind us everyday that slavery and the civil war happened, and that we need to always do our best to avoid repeating it.

The south is a little bit of a different animal when it comes to the confederacy. The vast majority of those who have "southern Pride" feel that they were standing up for states rights, not to perpetuate slavery. Their great-great grandad wasn't a racist, they were someone who stood up for their state at a time when it felt like those in the north were being overbearing.

As for why do we have holidays for traitors and separatists, Jefferson-Davis was never tried for treason. He was released after two years of imprisonment. The reason being, the government didn't want to give any legal legitimacy to the confederacy. The succession was always considered illegal, and never recognized by the US.

Also, Davis and Robert E. Lee were both pardoned in 1976 by Carter.

Websnapx2

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2003

You can't just wipe out memorials and monuments to famous people because it is distful.

We should have those monuments on display to remind us everyday that slavery and the civil war happened, and that we need to always do our best to avoid repeating it.
Then we should have them replaced with monuments that say that. Not how they are currently, in reverence.

The south is a little bit of a different animal when it comes to the confederacy. The vast majority of those who have "southern Pride" feel that they were standing up for states rights, not to perpetuate slavery. Their great-great grandad wasn't a racist, they were someone who stood up for their state at a time when it felt like those in the north were being overbearing.
What had you just said about "those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it.", because it is happening again. Just because they cherry-pick what parts to remember of the confederacy does not negate the cornerstone speech TechWiz quoted above. The foundations are firmly rooted in slavery — and if not for out-and-out racism, for the option to utilize racism as a right. Everything else is based on that. It gets romantically hidden in the culture wars of the north and south but that was the crux of it. Denying that is to abandon reality.

What about Henrietta Lacks, even though her cells were stolen, her cells have led to curing polio, as well as helping countless other studies.

Point being, what do we do with the information after we have it? Do we ignore it? Do we see if we can get the information an ethical way then use?
No, the point is they could have explained what they were doing and why — the importance of the work — and let her have her own agency.

In my opinion, once you have the info, take it an do the best you can do for humanity with it.
That's a very "don't ask for permission, ask for forgiveness" perspective that people are always ok with when it's happening to someone else. The problem is there is only value in hindsight when a positive result is achieved — like it was preordained. What about all the ones experimented on that resulted in nothing but pain and torture — that resulted in nothing more than a dead-end — both for the science and for the unwilling patient? It's pretty callous to say their deaths were to "do the best you can do for humanity" when it is only using a particular portion of the population to unknowingly shoulder that burden.

happyprozak

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2008
I think you and others that have responded missed the point. I know business is business (I own a business). The point is that their virtue signaling feels fake and two-faced because they only do it in places where the marketing department decides.

My original comment still stands. If you see it as fake because it is not universally applied to all countries it is because you do not understand the complexities and difference across different countries.

I will say it again, it is not black and white, and there are huge difference between the risk of speaking out on gay rights in China versus the United States.

You can criticize them for not taking the same level of risk across countries but it is short sighted to view decisions in one country as having the same exact risks in another. While I haven't looked into it, I'm willing to bet that Apple supports gay rights in countries like England because England is a western country with similar beliefs and values like the United States with a government that doesn't order being a dictatorship.

You may own a business but your business is obviously not a global enterprise that has to deal with cultural and political differences across many different countries.

techwhiz

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2010
Northern Ca.
This had nothing to do with race, this had everything to do with getting these scientists on the USA side of the cold war.

The only, (i want to say good, but not in a good way, but in a something good came out the horrors of the holocaust way) is that we gained a vast amount of understanding of the human body, and the extremes that it can take.

We developed a lot of good out of the deaths that jewish people endured.

And i say this a person with jewish heritage.

We went to the moon for god sakes with the same tech that was used to launch the V2 rocket at our people.

As for why do we have holidays for traitors and separatists, Jefferson-Davis was never tried for treason. He was released after two years of imprisonment. The reason being, the government didn't want to give any legal legitimacy to the confederacy. The succession was always considered illegal, and never recognized by the US.

Also, Davis and Robert E. Lee were both pardoned in 1976 by Carter.

Uh, we accepted nazis, not to get ahead in the Cold War.
You should read the book "The Devil's Chessboard". It details how US policies toward nazis infuriated Russia and started the Cold War. Russia wanted all nazis prosecuted and we said no. We also turned ships full of Jewish refugees back away from the US and the end result was back to Europe to die.

The story of Henrietta Lacks is infuriating. The ends does not justify the means. They stole her cells, did research and never compensated her family from the billions that big Pharma has made. They didn't experiment on her, they treated her but in the process, they now have used her cell lines for decades and made billions and have never compensated the family. Instead of benefiting in the billions Pharma is making off the cell lines; they fight for HBO crumbs.

It's one thing to remember history, it's another to glorify and rewrite the history of the civil war.
The rewrite is that is was a noble cause and about states rights.
The truth is this. It was about the states rights to o continue with slaves.
The truth about the south and those monuments is this.
Lee thought it was a bad idea after the war to have monuments to the confederacy.
The monuments were a stark reminder of what the south's values were:
Alexander Stephens in his Cornerstone speech said the following (just a snippet) he's taking about other forms of government that considers all men equal.

"They rested upon the assumption of the equality of races. This was an error. It was a sandy foundation, and the idea of a Government built upon it—when the "storm came and the wind blew, it fell.

Our new government is founded upon exactly the opposite ideas; its foundations are laid, its cornerstone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery, subordination to the superior race, is his natural and normal condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth. This truth has been slow in the process of its development, like all other truths in the various departments of science."

Let's put to rest any question about the south and "southern pride", monuments, the flag.
The Confederacy was racist at its core and if their "great great grand-daddy" fought on the wrong side he was a traitor and a racist. Let's stop pretending and spouting the narrative about states rights.
The VP of the confederacy said it wasn't and the new government was about oppression and subjugation.
History was rewritten to sanitize the "war between the states", and the Civil War wasn't civil.
It was about states rights; the right to have slaves.
The monuments belong in a museum not on a plaza or mall at five stories high.
They were put into place to show that "we lost, but we are still in charge". Any belief to the contrary is misguided at best.

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
My original comment still stands. If you see it as fake because it is not universally applied to all countries it is because you do not understand the complexities and difference across different countries.

I will say it again, it is not black and white, and there are huge difference between the risk of speaking out on gay rights in China versus the United States.

You can criticize them for not taking the same level of risk across countries but it is short sighted to view decisions in one country as having the same exact risks in another. While I haven't looked into it, I'm willing to bet that Apple supports gay rights in countries like England because England is a western country with similar beliefs and values like the United States with a government that doesn't order being a dictatorship.

You may own a business but your business is obviously not a global enterprise that has to deal with cultural and political differences across many different countries.
It seems we can agree to disagree. And as you enjoy the freedom to both visit this site and write what you please, billions live under authoritarian regimes that denies even these basic freedoms. While with one hand corporations eagerly proclaim support of a western social justice flavor of the week, the other quietly ignores vastly worse atrocities in China and elsewhere while shoveling money into the insatiable maw of that tyrannical machine. I guess I should just go back to sleep and enjoy the fruits of this disgusting duplicity. Appeasing authoritarians has never had undesirable outcomes, right?

techwhiz

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2010
Northern Ca.
It seems we can agree to disagree. And as you enjoy the freedom to both visit this site and write what you please, billions live under authoritarian regimes that denies even these basic freedoms. While with one hand corporations eagerly proclaim support of a western social justice flavor of the week, the other quietly ignores vastly worse atrocities in China and elsewhere while shoveling money into the insatiable maw of that tyrannical machine. I guess I should just go back to sleep and enjoy the fruits of this disgusting duplicity. Appeasing authoritarians has never had undesirable outcomes, right?

On this topic I have to agree with you.
Companies like Apple and Google can speak out.
China has a huge stake to lose by booting or pissing off Apple. etc. too much.
How much would Apple moving to another economy damage China and boost the other economy.
China has the economy it has because the west is addicted to cheap labor.
Times are different, players are different but the agenda is the same.
Those in power in the south were addicted to cheap labor so they were okay with atrocities.
Western companies/countries are addicted to cheap labor so we will overlook the atrocities in China and elsewhere.
One needs to be consistent.
Human rights are not just human rights in the west.

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005

i sold all 9....yes NINE homepods on eBay. why even keep homepods if Apple Music is the only service on them.

Xenden

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2013
Rio Rancho, NM
No, the point is they could have explained what they were doing and why — the importance of the work — and let her have her own agency.

It isn't just black folks who have had this done to them.

Einstein's brain was stolen.

The scientist found out after the fact that they were "immortal."

The story of Henrietta Lacks is infuriating. The ends does not justify the means. They stole her cells, did research and never compensated her family from the billions that big Pharma has made. They didn't experiment on her, they treated her but in the process, they now have used her cell lines for decades and made billions and have never compensated the family. Instead of benefiting in the billions Pharma is making off the cell lines; they fight for HBO crumbs.

I very much disagree; the ends do justify the means.

How many billions of lives will her cells have saved in the next hundred years. It is unfortunate that people made money off of them and her decendents weren't compensated, but that is a court fight. When it comes down to the ethics, her cells have saved lives.

Uh, we accepted nazis, not to get ahead in the Cold War.
You should read the book "The Devil's Chessboard". It details how US policies toward nazis infuriated Russia and started the Cold War. Russia wanted all nazis prosecuted and we said no. We also turned ships full of Jewish refugees back away from the US and the end result was back to Europe to die.

Guess the CIA is wrong then. They state that the scientists were scooped up because of the looming cold war. We did send Georg Rickhey to be tried and he was acquitted.

It's one thing to remember history, it's another to glorify and rewrite the history of the civil war.
The rewrite is that is was a noble cause and about states rights.
The truth is this. It was about the states rights to continue with slaves.
The truth about the south and those monuments is this.
Lee thought it was a bad idea after the war to have monuments to the confederacy.
The monuments were a stark reminder of what the south's values were:

The monuments are up though. They've been up for at least one hundred years.

They should be used as teaching tools. I remember going to Gettysburg when i was in fifth grade. We learned about, yes the south wanted to continue with slavery, but also that the civil war was a war of brother vs brother. That after the sun fell at night, that the soldiers would converse with the other side and trade goods.

Many of these soldiers, on both sides, fought with the side that their home state was with. Both sides asked Robert E. Lee to be their general. But since Virginia was in the confederacy, he fought for his state.

I truly think that, regardless of the intention that was behind the installation of the monument, they can be used to teach. It worked for me when i was young. I don't feel that me seeing the statues at a young age made me into a white supremesist. If anything, i learned how wrong and how difficult the civil war was.

On this topic I have to agree with you.
Companies like Apple and Google can speak out.

I wish Apple was more like when Jobs was around. Steve had his politics, but you wouldn't know what they were just by looking at Apple's homepage.

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2010
And I suppose "Happiness is a Warm Gun" and "Money" by The Beatles is perfectly acceptable?

I see you've attempted to pull two songs with edgy titles, but clearly don't have a background with the material in question.

'Happiness is a Warm Gun' is about Lennon's heroin addiction, and was written in an ironic prose, hence the inclusion of 'happiness'.

'Money', meanwhile, wasn't even written by The Beatles.
It was a cover of a 1959 song by Barrett Strong (who was himself black...), and was adapted in a half-comedic manner because The Beatles did not believe that the band would last even one year - hence, they wanted to make money whilst they could.

Nice try, though.

darkcompass

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2018
I see you've attempted to pull two songs with edgy titles, but clearly don't have a background with the material in question.

'Happiness is a Warm Gun' is about Lennon's heroin addiction, and was written in an ironic prose, hence the inclusion of 'happiness'.

'Money', meanwhile, wasn't even written by The Beatles.
It was a cover of a 1959 song by Barrett Strong (who was himself black...), and was adapted in a half-comedic manner because The Beatles did not believe that the band would last even one year - hence, they wanted to make money whilst they could.

Nice try, though.
Yeah, didn't pull the wool over your eyes. So easy to do it to others. I wouldn't say a large segment of Black music glorfies Gun Violence and Crime though, just some genres. It's like saying most Heavy Rock and Metal glorifies Satan, and Sacrifice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.