Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google today announced that Apple Music will begin rolling out today on Google Assistant-enabled smart speakers and displays in the United States, United Kingdom, France, Germany, and Japan. This includes the Nest Audio, Nest Hub Max, Nest Mini, and more.

apple-music-nest.jpg

To play music from Apple Music on Google Assistant devices, users first need to link their Apple Music account in the Google Home app. It is also possible to select Apple Music as the default music streaming service. Then, users can use voice commands like "Hey Google, play New Music Daily playlist," or "Hey Google, play Rap Life playlist."

From the announcement:
You can ask Google Assistant to play any specific song, artist or playlist available on Apple Music, and you can play music based on genre, mood, or activity. You can also play your liked songs from your Apple Music library by saying, "Hey Google, play my songs" or "Hey Google, play my library." If you have more than one compatible smart speaker or display, you can use our multi-room control feature in the Google Home app or on a Nest smart display to dynamically move your music from one device to the other, and even play music on all of the devices in your home by saying, "Hey Google, play music on all my speakers."
Apple Music is also available on Sonos and Amazon Echo speakers.

Article Link: Apple Music Now Available on Nest Smart Speakers and Displays

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: jettredmont

MacinMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2011
Denham Springs, LA
I just checked my Google Home app, and Apple Music doesn't show up under Music Services. I have a single user subscription, and I have a Google Home, and a Google Home Mini, which I would assume should work, unless it needs the new Nest branded devices. However, that wouldn't explain as to why it's not at least showing in the google home app as an option. Anyone seeing an option to link Apple Music under music in settings?

adamw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2006
Always good to see Apple supporting more 3rd party speaker manufacturers.

Max E Verde

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2005
New Jersey
I just checked my Google Home app, and Apple Music doesn't show up under Music Services. I have a single user subscription, and I have a Google Home, and a Google Home Mini, which I would assume should work, unless it needs the new Nest branded devices. However, that wouldn't explain as to why it's not at least showing in the google home app as an option. Anyone seeing an option to link Apple Music under music in settings?
I'm not seeing it either. The article did mention the words "rolling out" so hopefully it won't take too long. I'm not seeing an update for the Google Home app in the App Store but it could be updated over-the-air.

FYI. You already could send audio to a Nest Speaker via Chromecast...if you have the Android version of Apple Music. :confused:

icwhatudidthere

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2019
I'm not seeing it either. The article did mention the words "rolling out" so hopefully it won't take too long. I'm not seeing an update for the Google Home app in the App Store but it could be updated over-the-air.

When Google says "rolling out" they usually mean in the next few weeks. For me that translates into: as soon as you've forgotten it's available, it'll show up.

MacinMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2011
Denham Springs, LA
I just updated Google Home Yesterday. I have Apple Music connected to Alexa, which is my preferred platform, but will certainly try on google once I can link my account.

soanis

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2013
Europe
oh nice!

Currently a Spotify user, may look at Apple Music again as my entire home is running on Nest/Google.
Why go there when you can have Spotify connect? (assuming of course your speakers support it?)

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2013
UK
Why go there when you can have Spotify connect? (assuming of course your speakers support it?)

This is a fair point, I do enjoy opening Spotify and seeing all my speakers I can direct the audio to. I'm guessing Apple Music won't be aware of where it's actually playing?

Reactions: Sandstorm

helloplebies

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2018
So what’s the privacy policy? Would google collect data about your apple music library? I would be amazed if it doesn’t!

steevn

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2016
View attachment 1688585

Now my one HomePod in a sea of Google and Nest devices has become less necessary...
I literally just bought a few HomePod Minis Saturday almost exclusively for this exact reason lol. I’m pretty confident I’m going to return them before opening now.

I already have Sonos everywhere and wasn’t too excited about adding more speakers, but I don’t keep my iPhone on me all the time and got tired of not being able to control Apple Music through them. But everything just changed for me haha.

Reactions: Madmic23 and soanis

tymeframe

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2020
So what’s the privacy policy? Would google collect data about your apple music library? I would be amazed if it doesn’t!
I think this is the reason why HomeKit still doesn’t support Nest devices.

Last edited:

mcfrazieriv

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
Ditched Crapple Music about a year ago and have never looked back. Anyone that listens to Progressive House/Trance/EDM may understand the reason: just because I like a remixed version of a pop or country song, doesn't mean I like pop or country. Crapple Music doesn't understand sub genres or how they relate back to the parent category. It simply just "discovers" garbage you have absolutely no interest in. Spotify understands. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.