Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
Good for them, I'm not one of them. I prefer to own my music.

Indeed. Maybe I'm just a bit of a music nerd, but I like to buy LP's of albums I love and collect them. And with my digital library I prefer to have a hard copy of the MP3's on my phone and laptop at all times. Mind you I wish Apple did away with 16GB minimum storage size...

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

stanman64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
If Apple Music offered $5/mo subscription for college students, the decision would be much harder. Until then, I'm sticking with Spotify and my $5 bill. Also Spotify's playlists and "Browse" sections are just leaps and bounds better than Apple's "Discover" tab IMO.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida
Just because they made 10 million users doesn't mean it's any good. That's just the power of default music app, which the first thing any iOS user will see is "Try Apple Music for free".

If Spotify was part of default music app, it would have 100 million users by now.

Considering Apple has a user base of 800 million iPhone users, 10 million is a surprisingly low number, which actually indicates that Apple Music is a poor product.

Herp.....
There was already 6.5 million PAID users in October, so this 10 million is NOT people on the free trial... it's people that thought it was a good enough product to pay for it each & every month.
De derp.

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
I had Spotify for about a year or two and then Apple Music launched. Signed up for the trial and didn't use either service much. Decided to keep Apple Music and ditch Spotify for a couple of reasons.

1. I grew very tired of the black and green color scheme.
  2. Being able to say "Hey Siri - play whatever song I want/album/genre" is excellent!
  3. Integration
Apple has some work to do on the service/interface for sure but it's a decent start and I am happy with it. I listen to music every so often but not enough to be hard core. I also enjoy having any song I want at my finger tips at any time. I also was never big on music purchasing either. Just casual all around.

Integration is huge. Apple has built so much goodwill among consumers and the number of people who will subscribe to Apple Music and who have never even heard of Spotify is probably bigger than most of us think.

Reactions: mackiwilad

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
Perhaps MR should update the story to note that this figure didn't come from Apple and Apple declined to comment on the Financial Times story?

Think about how many people own smartphones and PCs. A tiny portion of those people subscribe to streaming music services. There's plenty of room for growth there.
While Spotify has 75 million users, only 20 million are paying.

In other words, in terms of PAID music streaming services, Apple Music is catching up to Spotify pretty quickly, in terms of ALL music streaming services however, Apple Music still has a long ways to go.

The problem is that free streaming services may be in trouble, at least when it come to Spotify (there are court cases) and its losing money.

Reactions: mackiwilad

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
You don't understand. Apple Music come pre-installed on 800 million users with iOS update. For a userbase of 800 million, 10 million subscribers is paltry.
It's in the top,ten of most used apps on all iPhones. Your argument makes no sense given the circumstance of a new service. You could make the same argument for tons of apps with your logic. We're comparing it to other services and the fact it's only been around 6 months and achieved what it took Spotify years to achieve.

Reactions: Tycho24

SkydiveGuy

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2007
Not for long, you obviously don't read the site regularly. Apple Music will offer HD, better than CD quality music this year. If you need anything more Apple nor any other service cares about a few people that want completely lossless music and listen on 10k dollar equipment which is the only way the average user would know the difference between CD and lossless.
Apple created the DAP market and they lag behind with hardware that can actually handle delivery of lossless music to my ears. While they allow AIFF (their format) they refuse to support FLAC (the largest compressed lossless format), the DAC can't even play it back through the headphone jack.
This isn't about "apple caring about few people that want lossless music", its about locking people into another subscription for something so they won't own it. You can't charge people on a continual basis if they own all the music already.
Also, the group of people wanting higher quality music is steadily growing. Vinyl sales are rising year over year.
I am heavily invested in Apple for a lot of things.... music is where they are losing me.

gijoeinla

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Like most I'm unhappy with Apple's music app. Harder to use. So unintuitive.

Personally, I subscribe to Spotify for my son, but I do not think the app is all that great either.

It's sad Apple does not immediately fix their music app. Streaming music is hard for me to get exited as I don't own it and pay on a subscription model is not ideal. But this looks to be the wave of the future, i.e. Netflix

In my humble opinion Apple is often too proud to admit their failings and fix something. I would think fixing the app would be "easy" and a priority.

I highly doubt "Apple is often too proud to admit its failings and fix something"... That's pure baloney. Apple Maps is a glaring example.

They certainly didn't "acquire" Beats and bring in some the top music industry talents out there to somehow show "them" how its done..

Geezus. C'mon people. Ok Apple Music needs work. Got it. Do any of you really really think it's a finished piece of work in Apples eyes????????

Really???? Really???

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida
I feel utterly sorry for those people who got suckered into paying for Apple Music all because it comes built-in to the iDevices and who don't know any better.

Damn! That's a LOT of sorry. =)
10 million sorries?? Wow.
Lol, I don't like Fords... but I just don't have it in me to feel "utterly sorry" for everyone that owns a Ford. That's just way too much effort on my part. I guess I just don't have as much feels as you!
However... when it comes to things that you know, actually matter, and aren't simply a person's free choice of what similar luxury item to spend their extra cash on in a capitalistic economy, I can muster up some caring (you know like for people that are poverty stricken, or rape victims or something).
I guess everybody chooses differently what they care about & what to spend their sorrow on though.

Jakexb

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2014
I highly doubt "Apple is often too proud to admit its failings and fix something"... That's pure baloney. Apple Maps is a glaring example.

They certainly didn't "acquire" Beats and bring in some the top music industry talents out there to somehow show "them" how its done..

Geezus. C'mon people. Ok Apple Music needs work. Got it. Do any of you really really think it's a finished piece of work in Apples eyes????????

Really???? Really???

When it came out, I'd agree with you. But any problems I had with it have been fixed completely in the past 6 months. What doesn't work for you?

Sleaka J

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2015
You do know that Internet Explorer was the most popular browser in the world despite being the slowest and least secure? That's the power of default and it doesn't mean that Apple Music is any good

If Internet Explorer cost $10 a month to even browse the web, it would be a comparable example.

However, it didn't, so your example sucks.

All you've proven is that you haven't got a clue.

Vesuvio Cat

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2010
I don't know why everyone is so against Apple Music. I never used any streaming services before and was converted to Apple Music via the trial (exactly how these things are intended to work). I think it's a great deal.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Well duh! Spotify is not pre-installed on 800 million devices. Therefore many people are not even aware of Spotify's existence.

The power of default apps is immense. You do know that Internet Explorer was the most popular browser in the world despite being the slowest and least secure? That's the power of default and it doesn't mean that Apple Music is any good

And it being the default won't make people pay for it. Seriously. Being preinstalled guarantees nothing for a paid subscription service. But from your posts, anything Apple is bad to you.

igorsky

Suspended
Mar 9, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I feel utterly sorry for those people who got suckered into paying for Apple Music all because it comes built-in to the iDevices and who don't know any better.

It takes some kind of loser to knock what others do so that they can feel good about their own decisions. Those are the people who I feel utterly sorry for.

Reactions: Tycho24

louiek

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2006
Knutters Knoll, Melbourne
I think Apple really needs to work on their discovery algorithms. If I start a new station from a song within half a dozen songs it's veered so off course you wouldn't guess what the original song was. Pandora on the other hand sticks to the genre, but ends up repeating the same artists over and over. Not sure which is worse, new artists I don't really like or same old artists on repeat.

Moshe1010

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2010
In terms of user interface: Spotify >>>>>> Apple Music
Apple Music is just hard to navigate through and find your favorite music compared to Spotify.

Deuce on the Clock

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2016
My own universe
True numbers will come out when all the free subscriptions run out. And after the "rebate" on all the Beats Headphones from Xmas end as well. Once people cancel the free subscription and remove themselves mid year, true number of subscribers will be more realistic to determine.

driceman

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2012
Like the service but have no idea how they made the app so terrible. Like what exactly is 'add to up next' supposed to mean? Why not use plain simple English like the Sonos app does?

Up Next is what plays... next...

Still haven't tried Apple Music, but I've gotten really into Amazon Prime Music in the past month. I decided to finally give it a shot and I really like it a lot. Sure it doesn't have as large of a selection as some of the others (especially with extremely new music), but it's actually pretty complete, plenty large enough for me, and it's essentially free (since I already have prime).

As an aside, I've also been using amazon prime video more recently. Same story as above, just replace Apple Music/spotify with Netflix. Considering how I'm paying $4.17 a month (student discount) for a spotify, netflix, and 2 day shipping service.... can't beat it.

gr33nra1n

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2013
San Ramon, Ca
Apple Music pales in comparison to the competition as an apple fan I want to adopt and accept all of there ventures but they have made it hard with apple music..... I wonder if these numbers are based of of current subscribers or ones they had and lost....food for thought!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.