Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today provided the release candidate version of iOS 15.2 to developers for testing purposes, and in the release notes, Apple says that the new Apple Music Voice Plan is set to launch alongside the update.

IMG_1840.jpg

Introduced in October, the Voice Plan is a new tier for Apple Music that is priced more affordably than a standard Apple Music plan. It's $4.99 instead of $9.99, and is designed around Siri.

With the Voice Plan, users can access and play songs, playlists, and albums on their Apple devices solely through Siri requests. The plan does not offer the standard Apple Music user interface, instead offering a customized in-app experience with suggestions based on music preferences.

Though Apple Music Voice Plan is limited to voice-based song playback, it provides access to all Apple Music songs, playlists, and stations. A Just Ask Siri feature suggests music based on listening history and likes or dislikes, and Play it Again allows users to access a list of their recently played music.

iOS 15.2 is likely to see an official release next week, and it is available to developers and public beta testers at this time.

Article Link: Apple Music Voice Plan Coming in iOS 15.2

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
I already have the family plan but something that comes to mind is Siri volume. If I am someplace I cannot interact with her loudly I might whisper a command but she replies at whatever volume my phone is at. Ha. I wish she could pick up on the volume at which I ask for something and reply with a similar level. Of course an off/on setting for those that dont want that.

coolfactor

macrumors 603
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Poor strategic move. Siri has about 40% strike rate in getting songs right which is bad enough. Not having a way of choosing via Music will just result in a frustrated customer. On the hook, but then will leave never to return. Shame.

Purely subjective, though. And the more Siri gets used, the better it gets (supposedly). Machine learning is called "learning" for a reason.... it learns over time. So logic stands that this is a smart move, as it encourages more people to interact with Apple Music by voice thereby improving the overall service.

zorinlynx

macrumors 604
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
How is it that Apple can price this lower than their normal Apple Music plan? Are they just counting on people using it less on average since it can be harder to use?

I imagine the per-song royalties to the copyright holders are going to be the same.

ahhh

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2014

Apple today provided the release candidate version of iOS 15.2 to developers for testing purposes, and in the release notes, Apple says that the new Apple Music Voice Plan is set to launch alongside the update.

IMG_1840.jpg

Introduced in October, the Voice Plan is a new tier for Apple Music that is priced more affordably than a standard Apple Music plan. It's $4.99 instead of $9.99, and is designed around Siri.

With the Voice Plan, users can access and play songs, playlists, and albums on their Apple devices solely through Siri requests. The plan does not offer the standard Apple Music user interface, instead offering a customized in-app experience with suggestions based on music preferences.

Though Apple Music Voice Plan is limited to voice-based song playback, it provides access to all Apple Music songs, playlists, and stations. A Just Ask Siri feature suggests music based on listening history and likes or dislikes, and Play it Again allows users to access a list of their recently played music.

iOS 15.2 is likely to see an official release next week, and it is available to developers and public beta testers at this time.

Educating and providing curated selections of any art form educates and enlightens audiences. Forcing users to request only the artists who's names and titles they already know sounds like the absolute worst way provide access to any art or media. Users knowledge and understanding of music will drastically narrow the more they use this 'service'.

mannyvel

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2019
Hillsboro, OR
How is it that Apple can price this lower than their normal Apple Music plan? Are they just counting on people using it less on average since it can be harder to use?
They're probably trying to drive Siri usage, because the only way Siri gets better is by getting more data (ie: usage). And that sort of data is hard (impossible) to get in bulk.

coolfactor

macrumors 603
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I already have the family plan but something that comes to mind is Siri volume. If I am someplace I cannot interact with her loudly I might whisper a command but she replies at whatever volume my phone is at. Ha. I wish she could pick up on the volume at which I ask for something and reply with a similar level. Of course an off/on setting for those that dont want that.

Place your hand over the bottom of the phone and it should be quieter. I frequently do that in case the volume is up high when I'm laying in bed.

coolfactor

macrumors 603
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Educating and providing curated selections of any art form educates and enlightens audiences. Forcing users to request only the artists who's names and titles they already know sounds like the absolute worst way provide access to any art or media. Users knowledge and understanding of music will drastically narrow the more they use this 'service'.

You're assuming that the only way this 'voice' service can be used if if a user knows the name or title. That's not the case. You can select curated playlists, too. And then there's :apple:Music 1 and companion stations that have DJs and guests where they specifically talk about music and educate and engage listeners.

Reactions: KeithBN

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I was going to say this is stupid, but might be useful for people with vision disabilities or people who are more interested in having music recommendations made than picking specific songs? (Basically background music folks, which is pretty common)
Apple Music Voice is also ideal for those that listen primarily:
  • While driving
  • Background music (e.g., cafes and restaurants, doctor's waiting room)
  • HomePods listening

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
Place your hand over the bottom of the phone and it should be quieter. I frequently do that in case the volume is up high when I'm laying in bed.
Thing is, Alexa will whisper back and I think Google will as well. Its time for Siri to get on board too. :) I like the speaker trick too though.

Reactions: sideshowuniqueuser

Camarillo Brillo

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2019

IMG_1840.jpg

I refuse to interact via voice with Siri or any other ai device. I’ve held out this long, I’m sticking to it. Not talking to my phone

sw1tcher

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2004
If suggestions are based purely on your music preference, then there's probably very little chance for the user to discover new music.

That's dumb.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.