Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StG

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2016
Minneapolis
Apologies if this is out front somewhere… but is this Apple trying to charge for something we already have? Like today I can say “Play my road rage playlist” or “Play the latest album by Tiny Tim” and it will work 50% of the time. Is the plan to move that functionality behind a paywall?

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
Apologies if this is out front somewhere… but is this Apple trying to charge for something we already have? Like today I can say “Play my road rage playlist” or “Play the latest album by Tiny Tim” and it will work 50% of the time. Is the plan to move that functionality behind a paywall?
nope...

you can already use Siri on any Apple Music plan AND you will STILL have that functionality moving forward.
on every other Apple Music Tier you can also type in albums/artists/songs/etc or use the Apple Music App to search as well.

With Apple Music Voice you can ONLY use your voice. I have a HomePod mini now in the kitchen and I basically ONLY use my voice to interact with it since I use Pandora and dont find the Handoff to be great from iPhone to HomePod mini. So, for me the Voice plan has a benefit in being a cheaper option for things.

Reactions: StG

arobert3434

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2013
In what bizarro world would a siri-only interface be better than the normal interface (where you can also use siri in addition to the existing point and tap interface?)
The alternative I was talking about (that Apple has not offered) is either point-and-click-only or point-and-click+Siri (for more money). That would be positioning Siri as a premium option worth paying extra for. Instead they go downmarket with a Siri-only option, kind of like an iPhone SE.

mannyvel

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2019
Hillsboro, OR
Lol
Siri has been around 11 years now, they've had all the time in the world to refine it. Siri is still just awful. Apple have basically abandoned it.
While I agree, this at least is a way to get more data so they can make Siri 2 better (or at least adequate).

4nNtt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2007
Chicago, IL
Lol
Siri has been around 11 years now, they've had all the time in the world to refine it. Siri is still just awful. Apple have basically abandoned it.
Apple is more limited since they are trying to do a voice assistant with privacy features. They certainly haven't abandoned it since they introduce changes every year. Siri is the only service that can process fully on an Apple device without the cloud. Hopefully they manage to catch up with the other services because this is important.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.