Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
You all don't get it. This plan is directed towards those who play random tracks.

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
Aside from CSAM scanning this has to be the most stupidly thought out thing Apple have ever done. The fact they’ve made these things so close together in time suggests the people making the decisions about these things need replacing.
At this point, that unfortunately would mean a whole lotta people losing their jobs. Hardware is still great. Software and services are filled with poorly thought out features and bad coding. But hey, exec comp is doing fine.

Apr 3, 2017
this is going to be DOA. It doesn't have spatial audio either, so those $200 airpods you paid for that this plan is geared towards are gimped...

Flight Plan

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2014
Southeastern US
This music voice plan should have been FREE since Siri is doing all the magic. I’m not sure why Apple is even charging a service fee for this.

We are already paying for Apple Music Service Fee. Paying for a small feature extra makes no sense. 🤦🏻‍♀️

Is there even a free trial for this?
You are 100% right about this!

And I also have a followup question. Will Siri let me filter out all of the crap music that has been compressed flat as a pancake? And that other crap music that has had all of the soul autotuned out of it?

Oh wait, that leaves me about 5 albums to choose from. So what do I need Siri for again? ;)
:oops:

Flight Plan

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2014
Southeastern US
Wait! Am I misunderstanding this?

"The Voice Plan provides access to all songs, playlists, and stations in ‌Apple Music‌ using ‌Siri‌, and is augmented by a custom in-app experience with suggestions based on your music preferences and a queue of recently played music."

Apple is pretty much charging a service fee to access all songs, playlists, and stations in Apple music using Siri?
If you're misunderstanding it, then so am I.

B/D

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2016
If you're misunderstanding it, then so am I.

Now Apple Music tiers go as follows:

Voice plan (Siri only, no lossless audio, no Atmos, no Icloud Music Library, no lyrics, no music videos, no Music app support except for 30 seconds previews of each songs): $4,99

Individual plan (with all the Apple Music features): $9,99

Family Plan: (with all the Apple Music features): $14,99.

If you are already subscribed to the individual plan or the family plan, this is not for you. You already enjoy the full Apple Music experience.

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
I have two HomePods. But there are times I want to play something that Siri doesn’t comprehend or my dog barks while I’m trying to talk to Siri and she says “sorry I can’t find Franklin shut up on Apple Music” and idk how you’d get by without being able to search manually.
Franklin shut up is a great track. Damn Siri!

Flight Plan

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2014
Southeastern US
Now Apple Music tiers go as follows:

Voice plan (Siri only, no lossless audio, no Atmos, no Icloud Music Library, no lyrics, no music videos, no Music app support except for 30 seconds previews of each songs): $4,99

Individual plan (with all the Apple Music features): $9,99

Family Plan: (with all the Apple Music features): $14,99.

If you are already subscribed to the individual plan or the family plan, this is not for you. You already enjoy the full Apple Music experience.
Okay, thanks.

There's still way too much Auto Tune and compression going on in the audio world. I'm just going to start joining drum circles. Who's with me?

B/D

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2016
Okay, thanks.

There's still way too much Auto Tune and compression going on in the audio world. I'm just going to start joining drum circles. Who's with me?

Well, that depends. Of the recording, the mastering engineer... orchestral music and jazz, for example, are genres pretty much free of dynamic compression (there are exceptions, of course). Fantastic recordings there. There are also awesome recordings in popular music, one just have to take a little time to find them (modern .

Apple former mastered for itunes initiative (now called apple digital master), is fantastic regarding this. Apple Music has a lot of content which is mastered better that the equivalent available in competing services. This is one of the reasons I stick with AM.

Flight Plan

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2014
Southeastern US
Well, that depends. Of the recording, the mastering engineer... orchestral music and jazz, for example, are genres pretty much free of dynamic compression (there are exceptions, of course). Fantastic recordings there. There are also awesome recordings in popular music, one just have to take a little time to find them (modern .

Apple former mastered for itunes initiative (now called apple digital master), is fantastic regarding this. Apple Music has a lot of content which is mastered better that the equivalent available in competing services. This is one of the reasons I stick with AM.
Well now, I did not know that. I've certainly never seen anything written about it on Apple's website.

But you've got me curious now. Can you provide a link or a search string to more information?

Gamer25

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2021
Sorry there is a problem with apple music!

My homepods where forver telling me and apple support had no clue so i gave up on apple music and siri.

I mean its bad enough when you set a timer with siri and then the timer just doesnt exist. When you check because yoube nearly burnt your food that you had set a timer for. First world problems.

Seems bad to ask people to pay for this siri is a mess it should be free or just fix it and scrap this plan.

Kuskah

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2019
As ridiculous as I found this when they announced it, I guess there is an audience for this.

It's not the person who carefully organizes their playlists. It's not for the person who spends hours actually listening to music (not just having it as a background noise).

The Voice Plan is basically a discount for the super casual music listener, who either wants to have some background noise going on and is perfectly fine with old-school radio stations, or someone who listens to mainstream (easy to pronounce) music every once in a while.

It cost's Apple nothing to offer such service (as it's already a part of regular Apple Music functionality) and it's cheap enough for some casual listener to just activate it and not bother stopping the subscription so that they can say "Hey Siri, play X" a couple of times a week when they get home or something.

Reactions: ebika

Apsilon778

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2021
Undef.
Okay so basically Apple rather than run ads say "hey you pay us so we can get Siri to understand things intelligably. Rather than have a free tier though we decided oh we'll just charge you 5 dollars to improve our NLP AI."

Embarassing

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Is there any way to text "Hey, Siri play..." or something similar using one of the Accessibility features?

Edited to add:I found the answer

Go to Settings > Accessibility > Type to Siri <toggle on>

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.