Apple needs to fix iOS performance

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Merkie, Oct 7, 2014.

1. Merkie, Oct 7, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2014

Merkie macrumors 68020

iOS performance is going downhill every year.

I remember the moment I got my iPhone 5 perfectly well. It was extremely fast and smooth. Two years later, this is not the case anymore and it is choppy for no reason. iOS 8 almost looks identical to iOS 7, yet its visual performance is much worse than iOS 7. I also have an iPad 3, I probably don't have to tell you how awful the performance is. It's like a slideshow (iOS 7.1.2 ran pretty well actually).

A few years back, I remember "us" making fun of Android for lag. Well, let me tell you, I recently used a €180 Moto G (you can get about 4 of them in exchange for 1 iPhone :rolleyes: ), and it was buttery smooth and very fast. Ofcourse it has its limitations (camera is subpar), but I'm observing a trend here:

- iOS performance worsens each year, even on the high-end models
    - Android performance increases every year, and runs perfectly fine on low-end hardware

It won't be much longer or Android users will start to make fun of us for our slow and laggy phones instead of the other way around. Maybe we have already reached this point.

This bothers me a lot. iOS is the main reason I have an iPhone, but its advantages are diminishing rapidly if Apple doesn't get their act together and start focusing on performance instead of useless features such as HealthKit, widgets or shortcuts in the multitasking window.

End rant. :(

PS.
    Idea: How about a feature freeze for iOS 9. Don't add any new features or change anything, and only focus on increasing performance and fixing bugs.

2. nigelt28 macrumors newbie

3. sanke1 macrumors 65816

sanke1

I completely agree but Apple apologists on this site will tear you down for your logical remarks.

4. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

I've had more bugs that have been fixed along the way but haven't had any speed issues like some others have reported.

5. oldmacs macrumors 68040

I'm finding with my 5 it gets jerky, and its very buggy rather than slow. However I've used iPhone 6's and they get jerky every now and again so its more a widespread iOS 8 problem that I hope is fixed in 8.1!!

6. gardiboy macrumors 6502a

ios 8 is a rushed release and embarrasses iphone 6 and 6s release

7. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

I would have no problem with this honestly, I was hoping that iOS 8 would be the "polished up" version of iOS 7.

8. ZEEN0j macrumors 6502a

Wasn't ios 8 supposed to be the performance fix for iOS 7? There are way to many graphical glitches right now. It's smooth on my 6. But I don't like using my air. I get new graphical glitches every time I split the keyboard on my iPad as well.

9. Merkie thread starter macrumors 68020

Yeah, it's only getting worse. iOS 7 was actually pretty solid performance wise, except for the long animations (which was not a performance issue, rather just a setting) and some weird animations (which also was not a performance issue, just bad decisions design wise). I don't know what Apple did, but in the period they were supposed to make things better they only made things worse.

Apple needs to give higher priority to performance, and less to useless features. Wow, I'm so happy that developers can easily make sprite graphics, but guess what: I don't care as long as my iPhone 5 is not capable anymore of showing the notification center or control center at a smooth 60fps frame rate (which actually never was a problem during the first iOS 7 beta's :confused: ).

Blegh. Frustrated. Random remark: ridiculous low quality iPhone 5 batteries that lose 30% capacity in one year. iPhones shutting down with 20% battery left. Never had any of these problems with the 4.

10. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

iOS 8.1 seems to fix quite some annoyances. Let's hope it will end up holding the performance of iOS 7.1.2, and that they release it as soon as they can.

11. illusionmist macrumors member

Sometimes I wonder if there are not enough code ninjas or truly geeky geeks who spend their time poking the existing code with a stick and experimenting on new ones in Apple. I mean, sure, OS X, iOS, all those other software, cloud services, and backend infrastructures won't be here without some sophisticated work, and I'm sure most Apple engineers are very talented and experienced. When it comes to really really low level stuff, however, I suspect not enough people have the know how to really tinker the nasty innards of those beasts, bringing in fundamental changes or optimization.

For example, running Windows and OS X on the same hardware (be it Bootcamp or conversely, Hackintosh), Windows constantly outperforms OS X. Not that evident on newer setup, but you can clearly see it with an older CPU and normal HDD. Not to mention OS X gets utterly crushed in the graphics performance department.

And Android. Goddamn Android. We all remember what an absolute piece of you know what Android was, but boy does it evolve. It's got a great design guideline with Holo, its performance grew by leaps and bounds with every release and those amazing "projects", and now it's yet again focusing on UI/UX with Material Design where iOS was often deemed superior.

iOS could never be open sourced like Android, so it needs even more potent developers, geeks, and ninjas to make up for that. Chris Lattner and his LLVM and Swift are great treasures to Apple, and we need more guys like him. Weird enough, even now we're still hearing about Apple moving developers from one team to another JUST TO BE ABLE TO SHIP ON TIME. And then there's the recent chain of events... Why oh why Apple?

12. I7guy macrumors G5

I don't agree. Considering the number of changes this was better than IOS 7. Oddly though a lot of glitches seem to be centered on the iPhone 6, my 5s runs 8.0.2 well.

Also if I'm an apologist does that make you a whiner?

13. jesanchezgo macrumors newbie

iOS 8

I completely agree with you. My iPad is very slowly with the last update... iOS 8

iOS is becoming heavier and heavier. :(

14. sanke1 macrumors 65816

sanke1

There is no need to get offended.

I call spade a spade when corporations don't deliver on their promises. A lot was promised but most of the promised features worked partially or outright refused to work or got pulled last minute.

15. crashoverride77, Oct 7, 2014

crashoverride77 macrumors 65816

yeah but lets not pretend like iOS 8 is some dog that barely works like most people would like you to believe.
    I do agree however that it seems apple is paying less attention to performance recently, especially on the iPads. My iphone 5s and now 6 was/is flying with iOS 8 but the ipad and mainly safari defiantly needs some it optimisation in spots.

When iOS 9 is released with the 6S than people will say the same about the iphone 5. Apple is very generous in regards to updates on older devices but eventually performance will degrade if you don't upgrade. Its been like this FOREVER in the tech world and I just don't understand why people suddenly think this is a new thing. I guess because its Apple and how well they are doing at the moment, i.e. see Bendgate that spread like cancer.
    Im sorry but if you have a 4s and bitch about performance than you just don't get it, excluding some improvements Im sure could be made. I mean the device is like 3 generations old (iphone 5, 5S/5C, 6), if devices wouldn't eventually slow down than we all still would be on 1 gb of ram and on pentium 4s.

16. localboy28 macrumors 6502a

iOS 8 is apples windows vista lol

iOS 7 was great for me, battery was great wifi worked and it never crashed

17. hasanahmad macrumors 65816

iOS 8 looks identical to iOS 7 but its performance is hindered by what is changed underneath. the entire OS layer underneath has changed with API changes, Healthkit, Open API changes. the changes from iOS 6 to iOS 7 were mainly visual, the changes from iOS 7 to iOS 8 is the OS itself, I can't believe people still don't know this.

- Photos - Photos API lets every Photos app edit another photo within Apps

- Messages - Messages are more integrated into not only the device but with other sister devices

- Spotlight now searches x10 times more than iOS 7 spotlight did

- Keyboard has added functionality for custom keyboards and added suggestions

- Health API

- Shared API between devices.

It was bound to affect performance. try 8.1 if you want to belay those issue

18. Merkie thread starter macrumors 68020

I still don't see how API changes cause stuttering and jittery animations when closing and/or opening an app.

19. hasanahmad macrumors 65816

Well it seems you have not worked in development before. the overhead on the system is greater which means there needs to be more optimization which is needed and it takes time. Just read up on iOS 8.1 which people are using in beta and it is faster than iOS 8.0.2 because it being refined everyday by optimization.

Which Phone are you using?

20. crashoverride77, Oct 7, 2014

yeah but actual performance is fairly similar between iOS 7 and 8, apart from certain spots that are unoptimised again, especially on the ipads.
    Also you can't say that people don't know that iOS 8 has more changes to the APIs/OS than 7 and thats the reason why its slow.
    In most cases a fundamental design/UI change, like from 6-8, will impact performance a lot more than the API changes from 7-8. Thats why Yosemite was slower in the early betas than Mavericks or why Windows Vista was slower than windows 7. Running the actual OS with more effects and animations, like iOS 7, will impact performance a lot more than API changes, like 8. This is especially apparent when the OS is not optimised in the beginning, like Windows Vista, iOS 7.0 or now 8.0.

21. liteshow macrumors regular

I think a lot of problems with dis-satisfied users (me included) would be solved if Apple allowed us to restore previous ios releases. I am not talking about restoring some really old or unsecure ios versions but rather the ability to restore as far back as the latest major release that came with the device. For example, iphone 5 was released with ios 6.0, Apple should allow us to restore back a minimum ios 6.1.4 (with security fix). Likewise, I have a 5s that came with ios 7.0, and would like to be able to restore back to ios 7.1.2. etc.

22. crashoverride77, Oct 7, 2014

Because the guy that said that was not entirely correct with his assessment. A fundamental design change with new transparency/parallex effects and animations should impact performance more than some API changes. Ios 8 clearly still has some unoptimised code that carried over from iOS 7 or was introduced by new features in iOS 8. Magic word again is optimisation and polish and it seems apple has been slacking off with this recently on their .0 iOS releases.
    Its weird since I hear very positive things about the latest osx yosemite betas in regards to performance and polish.

23. fardeenah macrumors regular

i completely agree with u! android is getting so much optimisation to run on lower devices whereas io8 can only work fine on the 5s and 6, even that its not optimised. i hope they make ios 9 runs on devices as low as iphone 4 or 4s!

24. Merkie thread starter macrumors 68020

That I understand. I don't understand why there has to be so much more overhead. Windows (desktop) and Android are getting faster and less heavy with each iteration. iOS becomes heavier with every major update. :(

I have an iPhone 5 btw.

25. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

The problem is that apple doesn't allow you to choose your ios version. I have an ipad3 running ios 6. I have been afraid to upgrade it. Since it runs smoothly on 6, I'm not willing to risk moving it to ios 7 or 8.

Apple doesn't allow me to even try to upgrade and if it doesn't work, give me an avenue to go back.

Once you upgrade, you're stuck.

It helps with sales. If you have a 3 year old ipad that can't handle the current ios, then logic will dictate you would want to buy a new ipad when you have a perfectly usable device. It's a way of apple getting people to upgrade their devices every year.