Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Good music use?

I think what they meant was for music a bigger screen isn’t beneficial, so they’d rather have the same function in something more portable (as opposed to an Apple Watch which is less functional).

Dhonk

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2015
I don't have the biggest hands (insert Trump joke), and at first I loved the iPhone X. Over time, I found that I tend to hold it in one half with my fingers spread out to support it. After 6 months with it, I started to feel soreness on the outside of my wrist. I've since changed how I hold the phone a bit, but I think it's just a little too heavy/thick to be comfortable. I know the iPhone X got thicker. I'd like to see the 2019 phones get thinner again, and I'd like to see Apple make an XR slightly smaller than the current X.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
What more reasons do they need to release SE2?!

Apple is a massive entity, they don’t care about everything the consumer wants, even though I think they do try to listen in some areas, the bottom line factor is this:

Apple is out to make money, the original SE was not producing that, that’s why it was discontinued. There is very little reason to believe the SE 2 will be revived, I’m all for it, but given Apples history and how they are about profit margin‘s mainly, they know that consumers generally are favoring larger devices, which is likely another reason why the SE was so limited. I think there’s a very strong minority who like the SE, and I was an SE owner as well, but the real question is, does Apple see the [return & value] in returning a device of that size back to the market?

Reactions: davedvdy

s54

Suspended
Sep 25, 2012
All of the arguments about the SE not being profitable (or not profitable enough) go out the window the minute you rationally analyze the current situation:

- The old SE is (allegedly) no longer profitable
- The new "SE2" could be profitable

lol it's really that simple. Who's to say that diehard SE fans aren't willing to fork out a good amount of change for an SE-successor in a 4-inch form?!

People wrongly assume that just because the SE was a budget-friendly phone, it means that the SE-successer must be, as well. I think it's pretty obvious by now that a lot of folks who prefer the SE do so because of it's small size factor and *not* because they couldn't afford an iPhone 7 or 8 or X. Therefore, you cannot assume that an updated SE wouldn't sell well if the price was high. It all depends on how updated we're talking about. I'm a diehard SE fan and I'm willing to shell out $1k for XS-like phone shrunk down to SE-like size. I would do that today, right now, in a heartbeat, and I know that many others would too.

Done. Huge profits. Big enough market space. Everybody wins.

Last edited:
Reactions: EssModelsRule

animatedude

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 27, 2010
AAAAAAaaaaaaaargh!

Even analyst Ming-Chi Kuo doesn't give a **** about us...

Is the 16 friggin' inch Macbook and 31 inch Display more important than the SE2?

Clearly, there are more rumors about SE2 because ppl care for it more than anything mentioned in the 11 New Apple products rumored for this year...

Anyone else feels alienated by all of this?

I miss the days when iPhones were 3.5 inch and the largest Apple display is 24'' ah!

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
None of the signs pointed towards an SE2. The iPhone is growing. The iPad is growing. The Watch is growing.

It's unfortunate, but a lot of the SE2 worshippers are setting themselves up for disappointment.

Reactions: acorntoy

Rebel22

Suspended
Feb 14, 2019
Dude I'm still rocking the SE & its lighter than all the other iPhones and has better SQ than anything A10 and up... I don't want them to update it until they can slide a 5G modem into it. It doesn't make sense to release a new version on 4G when we already have it. Wait till next year, if they don't do it, then I'll organize a SE army and trigger folks in Cupertino and create headlines and a PR disaster for Apple. I'll be walking from Mexico to Canada again before then, laughing and poking fun at all these sheep lugging around heavy devices until then.

If Apple had balls they would market this phone as an iPhone Nano or iPhone Air and upsell it based on the weight, I can see the commercials right now...it would trigger so many fools with the Max devices and show that less is much much more!!!

Think different

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Clearly, there are more rumors about SE2

.....and none of them credible whatsoever. And the generated renders are even worse. 2019 is not the year for the SE, maybe in the future, and even so, it won’t be anything how you remember it.

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014
Not confirmed. Apple started reselling the iPhone SE so I think they’re starting to see there’s still a market for a 4” iPhone. I can see it clear as day and would help boost sales to release a gen 2 iPhone SE. Hopefully not at a ridiculous price point.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
The Mac mini says hi.

The Mac Mini is also one of Apple's least important product categories, and the iPhone is #1.

If they've not updated a product in three years in their hottest product category, they probably won't.

Bad comparison.
[doublepost=1550547129][/doublepost]
Hang tight..
I have this suspicion that there is indeed a sub X/XS sized new phone coming at some point.

May not be a "new SE", but that's cool with me..
I just want something physically smaller than the iPhone 8/X/XS size range.

They'll probably put a like a 5 year old processor in an iPhone 7 when it's six years old and sell it for $399.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
They'll probably put a like a 5 year old processor in an iPhone 7 when it's six years old and sell it for $399.

There's really nothing in the past to support what you are saying there, so I'm assuming it's just snark?

They actually did the complete opposite with the iPhone SE in 2016.
Did everyone a MASSIVE solid by making it so overpowered and future proof.

Mine totally screams on iOS 12 - Love the thing!
Next to the AirPods it's my favorite Apple product of the last 4 years.

Reactions: redfirebird08

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
There's really nothing in the past to support what you are saying there, so I'm assuming it's just snark?

They actually did the complete opposite with the iPhone SE in 2016.
Did everyone a MASSIVE solid by making it so overpowered and future proof.

Mine totally screams on iOS 12 - Love the thing!
Next to the AirPods it's my favorite Apple product of the last 4 years.

It's tongue in cheek because Apple loves selling 5+ year old products without updates shamelessly.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
When did Kuo ever care about us? Haha

I am extremely sad the 4” iPhone was discontinued, but I don’t think there are any credible rumors of its return any time soon. But who knows with Apple being so unpredictable these days.

The Mac mini says hi.
The iPad mini and iPod touch too.

Who says it has to be a $300 device? Some of us just want a smaller phone that fits better in our pocket.
Yeah I think people are willing to pay much more than 300 for a 4” iPhone, but most probably wouldn’t pay nearly as much as they would for a 5.8” or 6.5” iPhone, even at similar specs. Because people generally think size = value. And therein lies what I believe to be a big cause of the 4” iPhone’s demise.

Not in the iOS lineup to this point though
That's a Mac narrative, I agree, but not iOS so far.
The iPad mini and iPod touch are getting there at 3.5 years... but both are rumored to be updated soon. I think iOS devices have required more frequent hardware updates than Macs since iOS updates have been more drastic than MacOS updates with shorter range of backward compatibility/support (I could be wrong on this). But I think it’s leveling off. My prediction is iOS changes will be minor from here on out, like MacOS, or iOS 13 might be the last big change.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Not confirmed. Apple started reselling the iPhone SE so I think they’re starting to see there’s still a market for a 4” iPhone. I can see it clear as day and would help boost sales to release a gen 2 iPhone SE. Hopefully not at a ridiculous price point.

I’m not entirely sure Apple reselling iPhone SE really means anything, others were commenting in a previous main page article about these ‘mini iPhone SE launches’, is that Apple is receiving stock back from carriers (or) has overstock from various suppliers, because carriers are no longer selling those phones, therefore they are being offloaded from Apple as a ‘clearance item’. I don’t think it really means Apple is testing anything, even though that’s unlike them to have these ‘Four mini launches’ they have had recently.

I agree there is a demographic for a 4 inch iPhone, even though it’s extremely small, but it’s kind of like the iPad mini in some instances, it was neglected for years, and now this year it’s heavily rumored to be resurfacing, which very well could be the future of the SE at _some_ point as well, but I don’t forsee any reason 2019 will be that year.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
AAAAAAaaaaaaaargh!

Even analyst Ming-Chi Kuo doesn't give a **** about us...

Is the 16 friggin' inch Macbook and 31 inch Display more important than the SE2?

Clearly, there are more rumors about SE2 because ppl care for it more than anything mentioned in the 11 New Apple products rumored for this year...

Anyone else feels alienated by all of this?

I miss the days when iPhones were 3.5 inch and the largest Apple display is 24'' ah!

It's dead & Apple is not interested in a niche market which is not worth serving.

Reactions: EM2013
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.