Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple wants to bring new movies to iTunes more quickly, and is in talks with several film studios over rights that would allow it earlier access to content, reports Bloomberg.

Warner Bros, Universal Pictures, and 21st Century Fox are all seeking deals to offer higher-priced rentals of new movies as soon as two weeks after they debut in theaters, and the studios are said to be considering an offer from Apple.

itunesmovies-800x563.jpg

Like Apple Music exclusives, access to earlier releases could draw more people to Apple's platform, but encryption is said to be a concern. Studios aren't sure whether iTunes will be a secure platform for showing movies that are still in theaters, because content can be recorded and leaked online.
The most recent talks are part of longer-running efforts by Cupertino, California-based Apple to get new movies sooner, two of the people said. Such an arrangement could help iTunes stand out in a crowded online market for movies, TV shows and music. While the iTunes store helped Apple build a dominant role in music retailing, the company hasn't carved out a similar role in music and video streaming.
Most major movies that debut in theaters are not available on iTunes and other streaming platforms for a period of 90 days, but film companies are said to be looking to expand beyond theaters to find new revenue streams.

At least one option studios are considering involves a $25 to $50 fee for a new rental, which is potentially more affordable than a movie theater ticket depending on how many people are watching a film.

No deal has been established as of yet, and it's possible the film studios could decide to offer the rights to a competing company.

Article Link: Apple Negotiating to Offer Rentals for Movies Still in Theaters, but at a Price

and 1989 others

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2016
They should have a movie subscription pass. I've got a movie pass for a cinema in the U.K. It's £18 month. Why not just extend that to digital showings? Oh that's right, because they cinemas would complain they aren't extorting people for money when they buys drinks or popcorn.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Even if folks can't decrypt the iTunes encryption, I bet the quality of the "cam" bootlegs will dramatically increase. :)

If it's in the $20-$30 range, I'd be willing to pay for this. I'd much rather watch a new release at home than in the theaters around where I live.

tech3475

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2011
Recently at Vero Beach I saw 2 films for just over $4 each (around £3, usual ticket prices at home £6-12), if more films were at that price I'd go more often as opposed to my usual wait for a home release.

Logic368

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2011
it would be a good risk to take, honestly... i mean, if you want pirated content, that'll always be there, even without immediate rentals... this will be like steve jobs's "carrot" theory: people will pay money if the carrot is easier to get/higher quality. If the studios can really take advantage of this and let people watch movies at super high quality levels (hdr, high frame rate, etc...), it might work out...

eternlgladiator

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
Twin Cities
They should have a movie subscription pass. I've got a movie pass for a cinema in the U.K. It's £18 month. Why not just extend that to digital showings? Oh that's right, because they cinemas would complain they aren't extorting people for money when they buys drinks or popcorn.

They aren't extorting people. The theater makes very little money on the movie tickets sold and has to make a large majority of their profits with concession sales.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
so we get a hd rip within two weeks? I wonder if the studio's take that risk
It's not a bad idea, but pretty pricey. At $50, I probably wouldn't do it. At $25, I'd probably use it occasionally. If they get it down to $15-$20, I'd use it a lot. Only 2 people in our household so it doesn't make financial sense for us if it's priced for 3+ people watching.

What would sweeten the deal and get me to consider using it more at the higher price is if they'd apply part of the rental price to purchasing the movie when it becomes available for sale later on. Let's say they charge $35 for the rental (while in theaters), but then a few months later you can buy the movie at a $10 discount ($10 instead of $20). Or something like that.

OnTheZone

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2009
It cost $20 for 2 to go to the theater and $20 for 2 for food and drinks. I don't see the perks here because I'd rather just buy the movie for $20 or watch it on Redbox for $2 about. Maybe $10 imo it would be worth it for some movies but will probably never happen.

akfgpuppet

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2011
The 831
Only worth it if you have a really good TV to enjoy a movie. I would pay ~$30 for a movie that I can enjoy on my own time, being able to pause, rewind, seems pretty cool.

Reactions: unr1

jdillings

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2015
Studios aren't sure whether iTunes will be a secure platform for showing movies that are still in theaters, because content can be recorded and leaked online.

They aren't sure? ROFL...where do they think all those web-dl come from? The encryption was broken a long time ago.

Reactions: chrisbru

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Seems like every few months this same topic comes up but with a different potential streaming partner.

Cost for Me + SO + baby sitter > $50 so I'd be interested if this ever actually came to market. I wouldn't do it frequently, but I'd do it for movies I really wanted to see.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Wow, $50!!!!?! That's insane.

Don't forget that you can have as many people in your living room as you can fit to watch that rented movie. This will be great for families, parties or friends coming over.

And these are first run movies that are concurrently running in theaters. Don't want to pay $50? You can always wait 4-6 months later for the standard rental fee.

spherox

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2015
Too be fair, most cinemas make their profit off of confectionary and drinks because they make very little profit on the actual ticket itself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.