Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The NYTimes reports that although Apple is working on making a cheaper iPhone as well as integrating voice commands, the company is not planning on launching a smaller iPhone:
But contrary to published reports, Apple is not currently developing a smaller iPhone, according to people briefed on Apple’s plans who requested anonymity because the plans are confidential.
The next generation iPhone is being worked on by Apple engineers, and according to the newspaper it is "likely to be similar in size" to the current iPhone.

A smaller screen would require developers to rewrite Apps to accommodate the new form factor -- an issue Apple hopes to avoid. Apple executives also note that they plan on dropping the price of the previous model when the new model is introduced. That means the iPhone 4 will likely take the place of the $49 iPhone 3GS when a new model is introduced.

The NYTimes piece, however, does seem to confirm some of the details given in the original Wall Street Journal report. Notably, Apple is working on making it easier to use voice commands to navigate the device. Apple is also working on changing some of the internal components to reduce costs to possibly sell versions of the iPhone at a cheaper price.
“Although the innards of the phone, including memory size or camera quality, could change to offer a less expensive model, the size of the device would not vary,” said the person, who has worked on multiple versions of the device.
Meanwhile, the details of the new MobileMe also seem similar. They believe the new MobileMe would be free and allow users to wirelessly sync and access photos and files online.

Article Link: Apple Not Planning to Launch a Smaller iPhone

Nomadski

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2008
The idea of that cloud only small iphone was horrible to begin with, glad they have said its not real.

newdeal

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2009

that was pretty obvious. Apple needs to start thinking outside the box again though, the last few iterations of the iphone really haven't been mind blowing. They need to increase what the software can do, not just take baby steps with software and spend all their time trying to make the device thinner

ImNoSuperMan

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2005
The idea of that cloud only small iphone was horrible to begin with, glad they have said its not real.

But what if the cloud only part was wrong? i'd definitely buy the smaller iphone as long as it was contract free and cheap enough.

vvebsta

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2006
Hurray I really hope the Mobile Me service will be free. :)

The current iphone 4 is packed to the freaking brim with technology, i don't see why people are knocking the design of the current iphone. Have you seen the inside? i don't see how they could possibly make it smaller without taking away features which is very unlike Apple.

citi

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2006
Simi Valley, CA
4.3 inch iphone in the works?

it is safe to assume that could also mean they are working on a large one, while keeping the smaller one also available.

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2008
it is safe to assume that could also mean they are working on a large one, while keeping the smaller one also available.

Just like with a smaller screen, a larger one would require developers to rewrite their apps. Apple doesn't want this. As well as that, I'm pretty sure Apple doesn't want the iPhone to increase in size (in any dimension)

I hope the current obsession with larger screen sizes goes away soon. I bet display suppliers love larger screens (at the same resolution) because they're cheaper to produce.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I still think that the iPhone 5 or 6 will be smaller. The screen won't be smaller, but the rest of the phone will be.

No black border below or to the sides of the screen, and a reduced black border above the screen. No Home Button on the front. Same screen-size, smaller iPhone.

petalino

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2010
smaller phone being cheaper is ridiculous

Being a manufacturer myself for the last 20 years, I can only say that making smaller anything such as a lightfixture, a phone or any piece of equipment requiring the same technology as its "bigger" parent, will not cost the manufacturer less.

The few fractions of a penny saved in cost of plastic housing, glass or metal parts, are no comparison to the costs of assembly cost or electronics, which will not change.

If anything, making a smaller Iphone will be more expensive since same amount of parts have to be crammed into a smaller space.

So: a smaller Iphone being cheaper than the original IPhone is an insane idea.

An Iphone is not a carrot; which costs less when being small due to its weight and cost per pound.

Lennholm

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2010
The current iphone 4 is packed to the freaking brim with technology, i don't see why people are knocking the design of the current iphone. Have you seen the inside? i don't see how they could possibly make it smaller without taking away features which is very unlike Apple.

Did you somehow miss what Apple did to the Nano last fall?

MarximusMG

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2009
Denver
I still refuse to believe that Apple will be changing the form factor of the phone at all in this next iteration. I'm expecting to see upgraded specs within the same body.

christ3d

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2007
i think the iphone 4 is unlikely to get priced down to 3gs levels. AT&T isn't going to want to get rid of the cheap iphone, so they'll either keep the 3gs around, or i think what you're going to see is a super 3gs.. basically an iphone 4 with less memory, and a plastic shell instead of the unibody/glass.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.