Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jensend

macrumors 65816
Dec 19, 2008
These devices no matter how light are cognitively and physically demanding.

mentally and physically scarring
Can you please expound on this? Current headsets can be uncomfortable, especially with extended use, but you aren’t talking about that because you said “no matter how light”.
A lot of current VR games are more physically demanding, because the physicality of the control schemes is a major factor that sets them apart from desktop/TV games. A lot of people appreciate that VR can be more physically demanding, but it by no means needs to be.

And what do you mean by cognitively demanding? VR devices aren’t as refined as other devices in UI design, so sometimes they can be awkward and frustrating to use, but in other ways they can be more intuitive to use than other computing devices. I’ve very interested to see what UI conventions Apple brings to the table.

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
Ohhh, I can see it now, driving down the 4 lane highway and a notification pops up and blocks your view. Just last evening I had to slam on my brakes because a PU was towing a dark trailer -- if I had had ANY distraction I wouldn't have ever seen it. Not good...

I'm already ticked off at iOS enough for popping up irrelevant notifications on top of apps. At least I haven't found the setting that disables notifications by apps on top of other apps. Grrrrrrrr.

Anyway, I definitely wont be buying a headset and sure as heck wouldn't drive with one on and I'd try to get our local government to make it illegal.
Guys, this isn’t about mapping a drive, it’s about an immersive flyover experience. Think about street-level photography that turns as you turn your head.

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
"Today we're thrilled to introduce Reality OS..."

*on screen xrOS*

"...The 'X' is silent"

Reactions: Lcgiv

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
XrOS sounds way too complicated/confusing. Let's not confuse the consumers. RealityOS naming stands out more in my opinion.
Perhaps they want to go beyond "Reality" and make it "Unreal", reason why that name may not stick.
Xtended or Xpanded Reality OS may describe it better.

Also, regarding the consumers: Many iPhone users don't know what iOS is.

enterthemerdaverse

macrumors 6502
Nov 14, 2022
Warsaw
The OP was wondering about how these could be used.. as if there was no obvious use cases. I shared only a few possibilities. Whether the potential for this is towards heaven or hell is TBD… and at least somewhat eyes- and ears- of the beholder.

There is a respected physics theory that wonders if all of our current reality is a hologram. If so and through your interpretation, we are all already in THAT prison.

Sorry that this concerns you. It’s coming anyway. Embrace it or not. “Resistance is futile.”😉

You should not take that “respected” physics theory literally.

When we talk about these headsets we have to talk about the user experience. Science fiction fantasies don’t apply here. People are physical, we feel pain and discomfort. The older we are the worse it is. We get impaired vision, rusty necks, wonky spines, painful joints. We cannot be asked to move our heads and bodies with a computing device for a lifetime.

That has been the experience of Oculus users through every generation of their headsets. They buy it out of curiosity but then find the device to physically and cognitively demanding to use for longer than short bursts.

There are many problems that are simple impossible to overcome if you want an ‘all day’ head set, and even Tim Cook has said he doesn’t see this device as being used for long periods.

Those problems range from battery life, processing power, operating system bugs, graphics performance bugs, throttling processors, intermittent failed wireless connections, etc.

All these problems are present in Macs after decades of development, in iOS after 15 years of development, and will be in xrOS. But in a headset these problems are completely unforgiving. There’s no room for error otherwise the user feels extreme discomfort, disorientation and distress. It’s one of the reasons so many Oculus devices are left to collect dust and why Horizon Worlds has poor user retention rates.

This will always be niche. Trying to make it the ‘main’ way of computing is a bad idea and anyone who wastes energy, time and money trying to argue that it will displace desktop and laptop computing will have egg on their face. When they are older and wiser they will look back and wonder what the hell they were thinking.

Last edited:

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
I wonder if you can wear these when skiing/snowboarding? Might make a great alternative to pulling out your phone on a cold mountain with gloves on?

• Haha
Reactions: enterthemerdaverse

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Remember parents.

When your child goes to the bathroom, you need to make sure they use toilet paper after doing a poo.
This is important part of teaching your child personal hygiene.

You don't want them going around all day with a dirty xrOS ;)

danielchow

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2008
Philadelphia, PA

Attachments

• 61C98E19-34AF-4DEF-BD78-A40B2F9FBD6F.jpeg
    61C98E19-34AF-4DEF-BD78-A40B2F9FBD6F.jpeg
    66.2 KB · Views: 29

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Irrespective of past news reports that are guessing.

Do you all feel that this will be a stand alone device.
Or it will be more like the 1st Apple watch, and be more of a display with sensors/cameras which uses the iPhone to do most of the processing?

PauloSera

Suspended
Oct 12, 2022
Can you please expound on this? Current headsets can be uncomfortable, especially with extended use, but you aren’t talking about that because you said “no matter how light”.
A lot of current VR games are more physically demanding, because the physicality of the control schemes is a major factor that sets them apart from desktop/TV games. A lot of people appreciate that VR can be more physically demanding, but it by no means needs to be.

And what do you mean by cognitively demanding? VR devices aren’t as refined as other devices in UI design, so sometimes they can be awkward and frustrating to use, but in other ways they can be more intuitive to use than other computing devices. I’ve very interested to see what UI conventions Apple brings to the table.
VR fights a losing battle with the inner ear. It has limited used and limited potential as a result.

enterthemerdaverse

macrumors 6502
Nov 14, 2022
Warsaw
VR fights a losing battle with the inner ear. It has limited used and limited potential as a result.

True. The Apple device isn’t VR however. It is an AR device, but that still comes with the issues I outlined a few posts above.

When I read these debates over all the years, enthusiasts really are not looking at the first gen devices but looking forward to when AR can exist in something that looks like regular dress or vision correction glasses.

That’s extremely difficult. For a start you can install a powerful SoC in dress glasses. So no A series or M series chip. The processing would have to be on the iPhone or Mac which would stream AR elements to the glasses.

Then we come to the battery, sensors and cameras. Dress glasses have very thin frames and we really can’t get a battery in there that could last more than an hour. All these add bulk.

Finally displaying the AR elements on glasses requires a projector like Google Glass had, which means the AR imagery would be ghost-like and lacking detail.

High resolution and high fidelity AR requires a headset. That comes with all the usual uncomfortable problems that mixed reality headsets do. Less disorientating than VR, but still having all the usability and technical issues outlined not just by myself but also on VR/MR review sites.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.