Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RazHyena

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2009
USA
simulated video? The screen looks fake in the videos.

Yep.

Also, all demo videos will be centered around nytimes.com....too many blue legos out there in the wild that could ruin the show. :rolleyes:

Soon we'll move on from this overhyped toy and focus on the MBP rumors. Something that's actually functional for real world usage.

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
And, I personally thought having the embedded video in Safari is misleading to people who don't know that flash is missing. Obviously we all know about flash being missing, but people who aren't very computer literate don't even understand what flash is. I think they are going to have to field some phone calls from people about that feature. I'm not worried about it personally, but I sure wouldn't want to be working iPad phone support.

yup.....lots of older folks that didn't buy iphones and touches are going to be confused with the lack of flash

kjs862

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2004
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Very nice device, but I wish it was priced more like $299. The current price of $499 is a little steep for such a device considering we all have smartphones and laptops.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I get a headache even thinking about the nightmare of dealing with print drivers on an iPad. That would be awful.

At the moment the iPad is not a stand-alone computer. The printer will be attached to a Mac (or a PC), and all the iPad has to do is send the PDF output to the computer. No printer driver needed on the iPad.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Actually, that is a valid point. How hot does this thing get? I cannot use my MacBook Pro on a bare leg as it gets scorching hot. And the back is metal on the iPad.

The power supply is only 10 Watt. That 10 Watt must be enough to run the device continuously and charge it at the same time. So it can't produce more than 10 Watts worth of heat. MacBook up to 60 Watt, MacBook Pro a little bit more.

Hurda

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2009
Anyone got a direct link to the "watch all" video. can't install quicktime on this work computer, but can download it to transfer it to my laptop...
I had to fake the useragent of my browser to get the stream-URLs (I used iPhone's), so I can play the files in the player I choose instead of being forced to install the behemoth that is QuickTime.
Is that the "openness" of HTML5, Apple? :rolleyes:

Peter Harrison

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2009
UK
I just noticed that the iPad won't ship with headphones. Seems odd to me...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/45692/Screen shot 2010-03-30 at 11.09.18.png

Most computers don't. The iPhone and iPod come with them because people carry them around in their pocket and use them as traditional iPods as well as everything else they do. Headphones are also important for laptops, desktops and the iPad, but not as essential. If they really gave headphones with the iPad, I'd wonder why we didn't get them with the Macbooks etc.

I'll just be using the same headphones I already use for my computer or iPhone anyway.

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
well apple did their job again...i want one now.

You ain't kidding.

I am not seeing anything more then what was shown from the disappointing launch event. There were rumors that Apple was holding stuff back prior to launch.
It turns out it still is the same magical big screen Touch that was shown but people want to order it now.

I am convinced that Jobs could put a rock in a box and the sheep would line around the corner to buy it.

;)
-----
Another thing I was wondering... Since it is a big Touch and has no further revenue stream, will Apple charge for updates on the non 3G model?
Do they still use that lame Sarbanes Oxley excuse?

doctoree

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2008
Secret lair/ Earthmiddlepoint
I'm waiting for rev C. or so
I need 720p recording, Phone functionality, physical multitouch feedback and advanced third party software (cs 5, cinema 4d...).

And I want it to be completly independent from Mac or PC

Cinematographer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2005
far away
I am convinced that Jobs could put a rock in a box and the sheep would line around the corner to buy it.

I agree that some people are sheep indeed. But probably we're not talking about the same ones here. :D

Another thing I was wondering... Since it is a big Touch and has no further revenue stream, will Apple charge for updates on the non 3G model?
Do they still use that lame Sarbanes Oxley excuse?

This has been discussed already in this thread:

macrumors said:
Current iPod Touch owners have had to pay for each major OS software update, while iPhone owners have received their updates for free. The reasoning behind this policy has been blamed on legal accounting requirements.

It appears iPad owners will fall somewhere in the middle. iPad owners will receive the next major OS update (4.x in the case of new iPad owners) for free, but may have to pay for the next major upgrade (5.x).

A fair move I'd say. But the usual suspects will still complain about it. :)

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I'm waiting for rev C. or so
I need 720p recording, Phone functionality, physical multitouch feedback and advanced third party software (cs 5, cinema 4d...).

And I want it to be completly independent from Mac or PC

One can only wish...

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
I have to eat a little bit of crow. I mistakenly thought there was only one video guided tour.
I've seen the bulk of them and they are a little more impressive to me.
I still don't see anything that couldn't have been done 2 years ago.
It would have been nice if they broke away from the mobile OS but it is what it is.
I have no doubt that the next version is going to make this one obsolete fast.

Macsterguy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
Texas
Several applications weren't part of the Guided Tours. No big deal.

No, not a big deal but MOST Apple apps have demo videos - NOT iCal which most folks are very interested in... I know I am, I plan to buy 12 of these things if they will fill the bill...

You say several apps do not have demos. Which ones?

I see iWork apps - pages, numbers, keynote, iTunes, iPhoto, Mail, even youtube, videos and many more...

See: http://www.youtube.com/apple

But no iCal... hmmmm ICal needs help, but it doesn't make money... hmmm

dkemme

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2004
Best evidence iPad will be successful

Check out this ad!
KindleDeath.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.