Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Now Offering iPhone 12 Mini and Pro Max Pre-Approval for iPhone Upgrade Program Customers

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With pre-orders for the iPhone 12 mini and iPhone 12 Pro Max scheduled to take place this Friday, Apple today began offering pre-approval for the new iPhone models for iPhone Upgrade Program members.

Existing and new ‌iPhone‌ Upgrade Program members can use the Apple Store app on the ‌iPhone‌ to go through all of the pre-approval steps to get ready to purchase one of the new iPhones on November 6.

Apple's pre-approval process is designed to make it simple and quick for ‌iPhone‌ Upgrade Program members to purchase their new iPhones right when pre-orders become available. Those who are part of the ‌iPhone‌ Upgrade Program can select their preferred ‌iPhone‌, confirm their carrier, and get loan approval ahead of time, cutting down on the steps needed to make a purchase on launch date.

iPhone Upgrade Program pricing on the iPhone 12 mini starts at $29.12 per month and pricing on the iPhone 12 Pro Max starts at $45.79 per month.

Pre-orders for the ‌iPhone 12 mini‌ and ‌iPhone 12 Pro Max‌ begin at 5:00 a.m. Pacific Time on Friday, November 6, with the first orders set to arrive to customers on Friday, November 13. Those who want an ‌iPhone 12 Pro‌ Max or ‌iPhone 12‌ mini should order as soon as possible when pre-orders go live as supplies could be limited.

Article Link: Apple Now Offering iPhone 12 Mini and Pro Max Pre-Approval for iPhone Upgrade Program Customers

Reactions: pizzzle

soapropos

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2020
Greensboro, NC
I returned my 12 Pro in the hopes of getting a 12 Pro Max, but the app is saying I need to pay off the balance of 12 monthly payments in order to upgrade. I signed in with Citizens One and I've already made 13 payments on there. Anyone else having a similar issue?

Comment

ckurt25

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Grand Rapids, MI
Worked fine for me. I had to unfreeze my credit when we did this for my wife's 12 Pro and I was hoping I wouldn't have to unfreeze it again for my 12 Pro Max (I didn't have to unfreeze today).

Comment

gdjsnyder

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
Swoyersville, PA
I’m having an issue - maybe someone can help. I have two IUP through Apple. Upgraded one two weeks ago to the iPhone 12 Pro, no issues. Received the phone on 10/23. Everything is was fine.

So today, I’m trying to upgrade my iPhone to the 12 Pro Max and I keep getting the following error: “Your Verizon account is currently not supported. You will be able to purchase an iPhone for full price once preorders being”.

I have not changed my plan since September, and the line I upgraded to an iPhone 12 Pro is on the same plan as my line is. So that shouldn’t be an issue. Does anyone know anything more about this? Been on the IUP since the iPhone 7 Plus and never had this issue before.

Comment

berger34

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2010
pennsylvania
Apple just told me New customers to the program can join right now. they said my wife has to do it on her phone since I did mine on my phone.

Comment

LS3 POWER

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Charlotte, NC
So what I have wondered over the last few years that they have been doing this, do you think Apple uses this pre approval information to gather what phones will be in the most demand, and to ensure the ones we select are available the week before?

Comment

Heizenberg

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2013
I’m having an issue - maybe someone can help. I have two IUP through Apple. Upgraded one two weeks ago to the iPhone 12 Pro, no issues. Received the phone on 10/23. Everything is was fine.

So today, I’m trying to upgrade my iPhone to the 12 Pro Max and I keep getting the following error: “Your Verizon account is currently not supported. You will be able to purchase an iPhone for full price once preorders being”.

I have not changed my plan since September, and the line I upgraded to an iPhone 12 Pro is on the same plan as my line is. So that shouldn’t be an issue. Does anyone know anything more about this? Been on the IUP since the iPhone 7 Plus and never had this issue before.
Kind of similar issue as you. I only have one IUP but I am also on Verizon and am getting the same error message as you. Not sure how to fix it.

Last edited:
Comment

anson42

Contributor
Mar 13, 2014
Oakland, CA
So what I have wondered over the last few years that they have been doing this, do you think Apple uses this pre approval information to gather what phones will be in the most demand, and to ensure the ones we select are available the week before?
I don't think so. If that were the case I would ALWAYS get the phone I wanted during the wee hours but while that happens most of the time it hasn't been guaranteed. Pretty sure there are folk who pre-approve so late or don't at all that any allocation is just a smart estimate, assuming IUP members get special allocation at all, haven't seen proof of that, either.

Reactions: LS3 POWER
Comment

anson42

Contributor
Mar 13, 2014
Oakland, CA
Kind of similar issue as you. I only have on IUP but I am also on Verizon and am getting the same error message as you. Not sure how to fix it.
I was able to pre-approve with AT&T. I suggest reaching out to Apple to see what's up. Of course, you might get the run around and have to go to Verizon as well and vice versa.

Comment

Heizenberg

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2013
I was able to pre-approve with AT&T. I suggest reaching out to Apple to see what's up. Of course, you might get the run around and have to go to Verizon as well and vice versa.
Yeah I will reach out to both to see what's up.

Comment

anson42

Contributor
Mar 13, 2014
Oakland, CA
Is this US only? I can’t see the option in the UK
It appears the upgrade program works differently in the UK. See here:

You can't use the app in the UK to pre-approve, must go to a store but I believe they're all closed now thanks to the new lockdown.

EDIT: Oh wait, I take that back. Registering for the program requires in store, but upgrading should be possible through the app, according to the same site I quoted.

Reactions: jaack
Comment

xpxp2002

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2016
How do you do this if you have an EPP?

I normally go through my employer's website to get to Apple.com, and it applies the discount (AC+) during the order setup, but there's no option to choose iPhone Upgrade Program. When I go through the app there's no way to enter your EPP info.

Comment

btrach144

macrumors demi-god
Aug 28, 2015
Indiana
I switched to Verizon last month get this error message. They said I would be able to upgrade!

Very upset right now.

anyone know what this means?

Attachments

• AEE8571B-3AA5-4C34-A10B-7F1415B525AB.jpeg
    AEE8571B-3AA5-4C34-A10B-7F1415B525AB.jpeg
    274.8 KB · Views: 59
Comment

1rottenapple

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2004

With pre-orders for the iPhone 12 mini and iPhone 12 Pro Max scheduled to take place this Friday, Apple today began offering pre-approval for the new iPhone models for iPhone Upgrade Program members.

Existing and new ‌iPhone‌ Upgrade Program members can use the Apple Store app on the ‌iPhone‌ to go through all of the pre-approval steps to get ready to purchase one of the new iPhones on November 6.

Apple's pre-approval process is designed to make it simple and quick for ‌iPhone‌ Upgrade Program members to purchase their new iPhones right when pre-orders become available. Those who are part of the ‌iPhone‌ Upgrade Program can select their preferred ‌iPhone‌, confirm their carrier, and get loan approval ahead of time, cutting down on the steps needed to make a purchase on launch date.

iPhone Upgrade Program pricing on the iPhone 12 mini starts at $29.12 per month and pricing on the iPhone 12 Pro Max starts at $45.79 per month.

Pre-orders for the ‌iPhone 12 mini‌ and ‌iPhone 12 Pro Max‌ begin at 5:00 a.m. Pacific Time on Friday, November 6, with the first orders set to arrive to customers on Friday, November 13. Those who want an ‌iPhone 12 Pro‌ Max or ‌iPhone 12‌ mini should order as soon as possible when pre-orders go live as supplies could be limited.

Article Link: Apple Now Offering iPhone 12 Mini and Pro Max Pre-Approval for iPhone Upgrade Program Customers

Do you need to have Verizon, tmo, or att, to have 1up?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.