Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
From reading this thread, it seems like Verizon customers are going to run into some issues come Friday, if they aren’t fixed. What about those who are paying outright?

huggyb

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2007
I can't seem to find any information on the IUP program and switching from citizen one to the apple card for IUP? It says they offer apple card for IUP, but when I go through the pre-approval, there's no option to use my apple card, it wants my SSN and the wording makes it seem to say it'll go with citizen one again. I can't seem to find how to change my IUP from citizen one to apple card for moving from iphone 11 to iphone 12. Anybody know this answer? Even the employee at the cupertino apple store didn't know the answer, nor their online chat support.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
I keep getting an error on the Confirm Your Carrier step trying to enroll in the IUP for the first time. This is Verizon and I'm trying to do it from my iPhone 12 Pro. Probably related to similar issues others are having from their recently activated new devices.
I happened to speak to a rep today.
I recently switched from Verizon to ATT but ended up going back to to Verizon.
When this happened my account was butchered.
The rep told me my account was marked as high risk. He stated he was able to see Apple was attempting to verify the account. The high risk label prevents any changes to the account.
The period can vary as can the reasons

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2008
I just signed up, should I get an email from Citizen at some point telling me something?

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
I can't seem to find any information on the IUP program and switching from citizen one to the apple card for IUP? It says they offer apple card for IUP, but when I go through the pre-approval, there's no option to use my apple card, it wants my SSN and the wording makes it seem to say it'll go with citizen one again. I can't seem to find how to change my IUP from citizen one to apple card for moving from iphone 11 to iphone 12. Anybody know this answer? Even the employee at the cupertino apple store didn't know the answer, nor their online chat support.

IUP is only through Citizens, but you can pay Citizens with your Apple Card. Or you can just buy it 24 months no interest on your Apple Card, but that is not IUP.

Last edited:
Reactions: anson42

justdiego

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2020
I got my IUP reservation for the 10th of November moved to the 4th January since I am in the UK. Anyone else got something similar? I find this very absurd since I have to pay extra months and giving the phone back later.

CC07

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2016
I got my IUP reservation for the 10th of November moved to the 4th January since I am in the UK. Anyone else got something similar? I find this very absurd since I have to pay extra months and giving the phone back later.
I had this email today:

Dear customer,

In the UK, the iPhone Upgrade Programme is only available from an Apple Store. Unfortunately, due to the new government restrictions, we cannot currently operate a full service in England and are therefore unable to invite you to the store at this time to upgrade your iPhone.

If you would like to know more about your options for upgrading, please contact 0800 048 0408 where our teams will gladly assist you.

And of course, if you would rather wait until the restrictions are lifted, we would be delighted to help you with the upgrade in our stores then.

soapropos

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2020
Greensboro, NC
Okay, soooooooo...couple of things:

1) this is definitely related to the change on the line, the change triggers some kind of block that the chat reps can’t see or remove. I noticed this when going into the my Verizon app, if you try to change account managers it says “your device is too new to change account roles”. I think this is the same underlying issue.

2) the Verizon rep had me try switching back to the esim. This did not fix the problem, and probably did nothing but reset the clock, and make things worse, since now the last change was today instead of last week.

3) I did find a workaround. While going back to the esim didn’t fix the issue, it did have an interesting side effect...when I go to the carrier info part of the Apple store app, the phone number does not auto populate! So, the workaround I came up with was to just type my wife’s number in. She’s not on the Apple program, so her line actually worked. This tells me that the account is fine, but my line is blocked somehow.

if you have another phone on your account that you can use, this will let you get registered. It’s going to be ugly when the phone shows up, as I’ll have to activate it on her number, which will “break” her phone, and then swap her line back to her IMEI and sim, and then my line to the new IMEI and sim. It’s extra annoying because I need the 5G SIM card, so can’t just swap the cards around. Anyway, at least I found a way to sort it out. Hope this helps someone else!
Have you had any success yet with the upgrade being allowed? I'm probably starting too late but I would love to be able to do the pre-approval tonight or at least just the upgrade tomorrow so I don't have to wait months to get a new phone

justdiego

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2020
I had this email today:

Dear customer,

In the UK, the iPhone Upgrade Programme is only available from an Apple Store. Unfortunately, due to the new government restrictions, we cannot currently operate a full service in England and are therefore unable to invite you to the store at this time to upgrade your iPhone.

If you would like to know more about your options for upgrading, please contact 0800 048 0408 where our teams will gladly assist you.

And of course, if you would rather wait until the restrictions are lifted, we would be delighted to help you with the upgrade in our stores then.
Same. It is just absurd that they allowed pre-approval for 24 months loan with Barclays (so, almost the same as for the iPhone Upgrade Program) and don't organise a pickup and return for this.

soapropos

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2020
Greensboro, NC
I happened to speak to a rep today.
I recently switched from Verizon to ATT but ended up going back to to Verizon.
When this happened my account was butchered.
The rep told me my account was marked as high risk. He stated he was able to see Apple was attempting to verify the account. The high risk label prevents any changes to the account.
The period can vary as can the reasons

Argh, getting the “Verizon account not supported” message here too. Apple says to talk to Verizon, Verizon says it isn’t their problem, but they can help me upgrade through their program. =\
For any Verizon customers having issues: It seems that you can upgrade through the iUP on Apple's website (not app) just fine. I put in my Verizon info and it texted a code to my phone and then said that my new device would be connected to my number. It is connected to the iPhone upgrade program (mentions trading in my 11 Pro Max). For obvious reasons, I didn't go all the way with the process. Might take several extra steps on Friday but it seems like a plausible workaround.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
For any Verizon customers having issues: It seems that you can upgrade through the iUP on Apple's website (not app) just fine. I put in my Verizon info and it texted a code to my phone and then said that my new device would be connected to my number. It is connected to the iPhone upgrade program (mentions trading in my 11 Pro Max). For obvious reasons, I didn't go all the way with the process. Might take several extra steps on Friday but it seems like a plausible workaround.
Didn’t work for me. With the restriction, the SMS verification text is blocked. The Verizon agent wasn’t able to send a text. This is what prompted him to look deeper into the account.

soapropos

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2020
Greensboro, NC
Didn’t work for me. With the restriction, the SMS verification text is blocked. The Verizon agent wasn’t able to send a text. This is what prompted him to look deeper into the account.
That sucks… keep us updated if anything changes. Seems like people who recently switched phones/devices are being screwed

Reactions: bruinsrme

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
ok f Verizon. They will gladly allow me to upgrade through them, of course.
After telling me Verizon locked my BYOD I was a little agitated. They did me a ”one time favor” to unlock my personally owned device. I cycled find my phone, however Verizon didn’t see it. i left it off for several minutes and then the FMIP was enable.
the app wouldn’t work.
I went onto my iPad and it errored again.
‘I tapped on my initials on the upper right and tapped on the IUP line and went through the process of entering the number and zip.
HOLY COW IT WORKED

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.