Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Aren't these for 3rd party band makers and not general consumers?

Spendlove

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2015
Cambridge UK
Au revoir Click.

These will be on eBay into time.

Should I cancel my Click order snd get 42mm "official" space grey Apple ones from a licensed seller?

edit - I am not suggesting for a second I will sell my Clicks on eBay. You actually have to have product in your hands to do that... still waiting...

Reactions: playaproved

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
Folks are missing the overall point of the post when they look at the prices and quantities and express incredulity: they aren't intended for individuals to buy, you'd need a commercial account with the distributor, they're intended to be sold to manufacturers (whether one-man shop or large company), who can then follow the band design guidelines, use these Apple-manufactured adapters, and end up, finally, with Apple-blessed 3rd-party watchbands. I expect a few big name watch band companies may use these to bring Apple Watch-specific versions of their bands to market.

Reactions: LiveM

mostlydave

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2011
To be honest I do feel sorry for the Click team. They are probably reading this right now and feeling sick to the stomach of it all.

If you look at the pictures of the lugs being sold by the Click team in the thread about them you'll immediately stop feeling bad, the adapters they are shipping are truly awful.

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
To be honest I do feel sorry for the Click team. They are probably reading this right now and feeling sick to the stomach of it all.

Click is selling directly to consumers who want to buy adapters they can attach their own regular watch straps to. These lugs are for manufacturers who wish to have a "Made For Apple Watch" certified band. They're not directly competing.

On the other hand, if I were on the Click team, I'd be feeling sick to my stomach looking at the product I spent too long trying to produce.

And lest there be any confusion about my post from earlier, I know these are not intended to be sold directly to consumers, but if Apple isn't providing any SG adapters to band manufacturers, there can be no Made For Apple Watch bands that have space grey connectors. Ridiculous.

adamneer

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2013
Chicago, IL
I'm pretty sure my brother-in-law works for Avnet. If I ever get an Apple Watch I will have to ask him if he can get some of these for me.

Pentalobe, by the way, is not merely Apple's evil way of keeping consumers from altering their products - it is a design less prone to stripping than common phillips heads, which is very important when dealing with tiny screws that have very little metal to support the torsion load of a driver. Its not as if pentalobe screwdrivers are forbidden from being sold to consumers anyway.

Reactions: LiveM and 5105973

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
From developer guide: ...fit that prevents movement of Apple Watch relative to skin...

An ironic tip of the hat to Galilean relativity. If they didn't add that provisio then the dev could have assumed they meant relative to the Great Attractor.

AlphaTeam

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2005
If you look at the pictures of the lugs being sold by the Click team in the thread about them you'll immediately stop feeling bad, the adapters they are shipping are truly awful.
Really? Oh god..I still have yet to get mine. Just a bunch of kids that got in way over their heads it sounds like.

Reactions: playaproved

ckurt25

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Michigan, USA
I've been tempted to order these:

http://amzn.com/B015GKS3Z2

Apparently that brand is reasonably solid, and (per the link) they do offer the adapters in Space gray.

I have that on my watch right now. I made a paracord strap myself. They're a pretty good fit, but not perfect. They are better than the Moko knockoff sport bands on Amazon. Don't get me wrong, for the price, I do like the Moko bands.

entropys

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
What is stopping someone from buying a lot of 200 and selling these individually on eBay/Craigslist? The Apple police?
Nothing. But there would not be much of a market for it as most people already have a set of lugs with their Apple Watch. On the other hand, if Apple were to sell bulk lots, say of 25 or so lugs, little guys could make customised bands to sell in stalls and markets etc. Wouldn't that be a neat idea!

Oh, wait.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I have that on my watch right now. I made a paracord strap myself. They're a pretty good fit, but not perfect. They are better than the Moko knockoff sport bands on Amazon. Don't get me wrong, for the price, I do like the Moko bands.

Cool. Any pics?

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I'm pretty sure my brother-in-law works for Avnet. If I ever get an Apple Watch I will have to ask him if he can get some of these for me.

Pentalobe, by the way, is not merely Apple's evil way of keeping consumers from altering their products - it is a design less prone to stripping than common phillips heads, which is very important when dealing with tiny screws that have very little metal to support the torsion load of a driver. Its not as if pentalobe screwdrivers are forbidden from being sold to consumers anyway.
Tell that to iFixit.

jkichline

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
Not really - did you read the article - are you going to spend upwards of 283 dollars for lugs - seems ludicrous
This is for manufacturers who wish to design their own bands and have the patented connection mechanism. This isn't priced for the end consumer.

rtdunham

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2003
St. Petersburg, FL, Northern KY
I've been tempted to order these:

http://amzn.com/B015GKS3Z2

Apparently that brand is reasonably solid, and (per the link) they do offer the adapters in Space gray.

I just put three sets on 3rd-party bands I'd bought that did not include the adapters. Fit nicely, looked good. Note for $15/set each set includes a phillips head screwdriver, a $12+ add-on to the adapters this article describes. I felt the screw heads were strong.

However, an earlier (different brand) adapter I bought worked for maybe a half-dozen changes on-and-off the watch, and then stopped working: the middle "button" or lug that clicks into the watch...no longer does. :-(

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK

It pretty much is, torx is the 'proper' spec for that, pentalobe is basically apples way of making it harder for people to poke whilst still keeping the advantages of torx.

Duane Martin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
I bought a third party band and after less than a week and a half the lug has broken. I am giving the company the opportunity to fix the situation before I name them but it is clear to me now why I will be looking for Apple approved lugs in the future.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.