Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is now selling the 13-inch MacBook Pro powered with the M2 Apple silicon chip in its refurbished store for the first time in the United States and Canada.

13-inch-macbook-pro-2022-banner.jpeg

In the United States, Apple offers the 13-inch MacBook Pro with M2 with 256GB and 512GB of storage for $1,169 and $1,349, respectively. The 13-inch MacBook Pro with the M2 chip and 256GB of storage is usually priced at $1,299, while the 512GB is priced at $1,499. In the United Kingdom, Apple offers refurbished models with up to 1TB of storage.

The 13-inch MacBook Pro was updated with the new M2 Apple silicon chip this June alongside the redesigned MacBook Air. Apple says the new version with the M2 chip is up to 1.4x faster compared to the M1-powered model and up to 6x time faster than the previous generation 13-inch MacBook Pro with an Intel processor.

Article Link: Apple Now Selling Refurbished 13-Inch MacBook Pro With M2

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Why are these so expensive? It made sense when there were literally never sales on Apple products, but the MacBook is often available cheaper than this through authorized retailers in new condition.

Because M2 provides more power? It's really insane that many vendors charge (a lot) more for something because it's more usable, not because it takes longer to make, or uses more expensive parts. And where does all that profit go? With Apple it goes into research and supporting all their buildings around the world, etc...

Last edited:

Apples Apples Everywhere

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2017
Some business love to give their people the crappiest piece of crap they can get that says Pro. They consider the Air too underpowered even though it isn't. Their employees struggle with their computers and those businesses would rather standardize on an antique design than change what they are doing in any way. It's sad.

• Disagree
Reactions: snipr125

JPack

macrumors G4
Mar 27, 2017
$50 less than edu pricing. Decent if you’re buying this as a DTR notebook like most business users do.

headlessmike

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2017
Some business love to give their people the crappiest piece of crap they can get that says Pro. They consider the Air too underpowered even though it isn't. Their employees struggle with their computers and those businesses would rather standardize on an antique design than change what they are doing in any way. It's sad.
People can do far worse than an M2 MacBook Pro, they are fine machines.

sledgehammer89

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2009
Personally, I still wouldn’t buy one. Either an M2 Air or an M1 Pro/Max MB Pro.

Only ones I see buying these are businesses.
Both does have a notch. A no go. It makes the menu bar bigger in height and waste space horizontally. Also I don't need the power of M1 Pro CPU. MBP M2 is nearly perfect for me. If I really miss something, it's the 120 Hz display like on my iPad Pro.

sw1tcher

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
In the United States, Apple offers the 13-inch MacBook Pro with M2 with 256GB and 512GB of storage for $1,169 and $1,349, respectively.

Refurbished 13" MBP w/M2 and 512GB for $1,349... so $50 more than when it was last on sale for $1,299

Come on, Apple. You need to bring down the 512GB refurb's price to at least $1,249 if not $1,199

A new 13" MBP w/M2 and 256GB can be found from time to time for $1,149

Last edited:
Reactions: CC77

headlessmike

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2017
The problem is that this is a 2020 13" MBP model design with just a M2 installed, Compare them (center ands right)
I went from a 2020 13” MacBook Pro to a 14” M1 Pro model, so I’m well aware of the different designs. The only reason I upgraded was because of a motherboard failure that was too expensive to repair. Both are fine designs that feel modern to me. The M1 Pro is better in almost every way than the 10th gen Intel i5 that I had in the previous machine, but the difference in hardware design is a matter of taste. I personally feel that MagSafe was a step back from the USB-C charging port. If didn’t need support for two external displays then I’d be very happy with an M2 MacBook Pro or Air. The new Air is beautifully designed, but the extra battery life of the Pro and active cooling would matter more to me if I had to choose between the two.

Ivan X

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2020
Because M2 provides more power? It's really insane that many vendors charge (a lot) more for soemthing because it's more usable, not because it takes longer to make, or uses more expensive parts. And where does all that profit go? With Apple it goes into research and supporting all their buildings around the world, etc...
Sure, but you can get that same power in an M2 Air for $100 cheaper.

And if you're reallyconcerned the active (fan) cooling the Pro offers for max performance under sustained heavy load, then I think the 14-inch or 16-inch model with the Pro/Max chip should be the pro's choice.

The 13-inch two-port Pro model exists, I think, because some people need "Pro" in the name, but don't want to spend Pro money. End of story. It's the only explanation. (But one possible justification for choosing this model is that it offers longer battery life than any other Mac laptop.)

Last edited:
Reactions: entropys

Realityck

macrumors 603
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
I personally feel that MagSafe was a step back from the USB-C charging port. If didn’t need support for two external displays then I’d be very happy with an M2 MacBook Pro or Air. The new Air is beautifully designed, but the extra battery life of the Pro and active cooling would matter more to me if I had to choose between the two.
I agree, except with MagSafe comment.
I already had a couple of instances where it prevented the MBP laptop being yanked off the table, so like my older 2012 15" retina, I prefer the long MacSafe 3 cable usage with the 14"/16" models versus then using a USB-C charging port.

Reactions: LinusR

Ivan X

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2020
I went from a 2020 13” MacBook Pro to a 14” M1 Pro model, so I’m well aware of the different designs. The only reason I upgraded was because of a motherboard failure that was too expensive to repair. Both are fine designs that feel modern to me. The M1 Pro is better in almost every way than the 10th gen Intel i5 that I had in the previous machine, but the difference in hardware design is a matter of taste. I personally feel that MagSafe was a step back from the USB-C charging port. If didn’t need support for two external displays then I’d be very happy with an M2 MacBook Pro or Air. The new Air is beautifully designed, but the extra battery life of the Pro and active cooling would matter more to me if I had to choose between the two.
You can always still charge via USB-C if you wish.

Reactions: LinusR

sublunar

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2007
They are also in the UK refurb store. Curiously, the discount now appears to be roughly 10% rounded up. So the UK exchange rate has truly tanked and so has the discount which is customarily 14%. The reduced 10% refurb price currently applies to the 14" and 16" MacBook Pros and the Mac Studio as they are the next newest Macs off the block.

I would also add that older Macs retain the circa 14% discounts. Yet another reason to look for M1 products. Interestingly, there's no M1 powered iPads on the store even though the M1 iPad Pro has been out since May 2021.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 601
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Personally, I still wouldn’t buy one. Either an M2 Air or an M1 Pro/Max MB Pro.

Only ones I see buying these are businesses.
I see many M1's deployed in a mission critical environment. The only specced out MacBook Pro, is an M1 Max with 64 GBs of RAM, 2 TB of storage for the art department. I have Viola Davis moment when I saw the order.

Reactions: Queen6
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.