Apple Now Selling Refurbished 13-Inch MacBook Pro With Touch Bar

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 21, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple has added the 13-inch MacBook Pro with Touch Bar, originally released in October 2016, to its refurbished store for the first time.

[​IMG]

The base model with a 2.9GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor, 256GB flash storage, 8GB of RAM, and Intel Iris Graphics 550 is available for $1,529 in the United States, reflecting savings of $270 off Apple's regular price of $1,799. Available colors include both Silver and Space Gray.

The base model is also available with an upgraded 16GB of RAM for $1,699, or $300 off Apple's regular price of $1,999.

The higher-end model with a 2.9GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor, 512GB flash storage, 8GB of RAM, and Intel Iris Graphics 550 is available for $1,699 in the United States, reflecting savings of $300 off Apple's regular price of $1,999. Available colors include both Silver and Space Gray.

The higher-end model is also available with an upgraded 16GB of RAM for $1,869, or $330 off Apple's regular price of $2,199.

Other built-to-order configurations are available for between $1,949 and $2,459 in the United States, including models with up to a 3.3GHz dual-core Intel Core i7 processor, 1TB flash storage, and 16GB of RAM.

Apple has also made refurbished 13-inch MacBook Pro with Touch Bar models available in Canada for between $290 and $350 off.

The 15-inch MacBook Pro with Touch Bar and 13-inch model with standard function keys were added to Apple's refurbished store in March.

Apple says refurbished MacBook Pro models are thoroughly inspected, tested, cleaned, and repackaged, including the manuals and cables included in the box. The notebooks are each given a new serial number and undergo a final quality assurance inspection prior to being added to Apple's refurbished store.

A refurbished MacBook Pro comes with Apple's standard 1-year warranty effective on the date the notebook is delivered. The warranty can be extended to three years from the original purchase date with the AppleCare Protection Plan, which costs $279 for the 13-inch MacBook Pro in the United States.

Related: Guide to Buying Refurbished Apple Products

Article Link: Apple Now Selling Refurbished 13-Inch MacBook Pro With Touch Bar

2. DHagan4755 macrumors 6502a

DHagan4755

Interesting...though I'm more interested in when Apple upgrades the MacBook Pros to the next chipset. They have some things to iron out with this product line, not the least of which is price.

3. Relentless Power macrumors G3

Relentless Power

Just purchased a new Non-Touch bar version and like it a lot . I think the Touch Bar has a lot of potential, but I couldn't justify the price point for something I likely wouldn't use.

4. M.PaulCezanne macrumors regular

M.PaulCezanne

Nice discount, but still overpriced. I'll wait for Kaby Lake.

5. hello12 macrumors regular

Do refurbished MacBooks have the same warranty as the regular ones? If I buy one do I have to worry about it not working as good as a brand new MacBook?

6. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Still overpriced for what it is. 2013 Macbook Pros are better value.

Warranty is the same. Should work the same. Only thing you're not getting is a brown box instead of a shiny white box. (And some refurb purchasers get the shiny white box anyway.)

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yep... same warranty. Apple reportedly checks them out pretty well and lots of people on here buy refurbs with no issues. I would not worry about it.

8. Relentless Power macrumors G3

Relentless Power

Apple refurbished MacBooks go through a very stringent and rigorous inspection. In some respects, you're less likely to have issues with a used MacBook over a new one.

9. jdclifford macrumors regular

Ditto. Picked one up about a month ago.

10. satchmo macrumors 65816

Sure, but i don't think the price will be any different.
    Wouldn't Kaby Lake at current prices still be over priced?

11. unregbaron macrumors regular

Yes exactly the same warranty, as new.

12. Will.O.Bie macrumors member

Will.O.Bie

Most likely these machines are returns from customers not liking it the first few weeks of owning it (cannot justify the price for the tech) I think you're good with it. I bought a MacBook Pro in the past that was a refurb and you'll never even notice that it was used. Make sure to buy it from Apple Store.

13. ciociosan macrumors member

ciociosan

Must be ones damaged from all that intense deejaying people have been doing.

14. 4jasontv macrumors 6502a

I would like to see Apple start to offer their education discount on refurbs.

15. MacFather macrumors 6502a

MacFather

Fair and reasonable MacBook pricing died with Steve Jobs.

2011 lineup
    [​IMG]

16. Joe Rossignol Editor

Joe Rossignol

Staff Member

Good question. I've updated the article with the information below:

Apple says refurbished MacBook Pro models are thoroughly inspected, tested, cleaned, and repackaged, including the manuals and cables included in the box. The notebooks are each given a new serial number and undergo a final quality assurance inspection prior to being added to Apple's refurbished store.

A refurbished MacBook Pro comes with Apple's standard 1-year warranty which begins on the date the notebook is delivered. The warranty can be extended to three years from the original purchase date with the AppleCare Protection Plan, which costs $279 for the 13-inch MacBook Pro in the United States.

Related: Guide to Buying Refurbished Apple Products

17. BigJohno macrumors 65816

The refurbished is a really great way to go. My wife bought a MBP a few years ago that way and has been a solid machine ever since. We also tacked on Apple Care just in case.

18. vertical smile macrumors 68000

vertical smile

All of Apple's refurbished products seem to be new or like new.

I have bought several Apple refurbished products over the years, and besides the outer box, you would never know it was refurbished. Inside the box, the devices were packaged in protective packaging just like new devices.

Some refurbished items, I think were actually new. One being an ATV3 I bought many years ago. It had all the original packaging, both outer and inner, that the new ones had.

19. Relentless Power macrumors G3

Relentless Power

Agreed. And some of Apple's refurbished devices may not necessarily be defective at all when they receive them. It could be a simple return were somebody didn't like or want the product within the 14 day return period and Apple turns around, refurbishes it and then places it for sale.

20. barkomatic macrumors 68040

How funny. The refurb price really should be the new in the box retail price. Still a bad deal.

21. Mirascael macrumors member

Indeed, I recently bought a allegedly refurbished iPad Air 2 and I am pretty sure it has been a new one actually.

It would seem that Apple sold it's entire remaining Air 2 stock as "refurbished" when that model type was replaced by the new iPad 2017 in the iPad line-up.

22. gnoack macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Apr 21, 2017 ---
    Still don't want one, waiting for updates to the air, or a middle of the road option for the home user.

23. MrX8503 macrumors 65816

I got the nTB version and I love it. I'm not prepared yet to adopt new tech for a price premium.

24. Aluminum213 macrumors 68030

Aluminum213

I'm guessing they got a good amount of returns on those touch bar gimmick MacBooks

25. SoN1NjA Suspended

SoN1NjA

model with Touch Bar also has more other than Touch Bar

such as a faster processor, more RAM(?), more USB-C ports