Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has added its latest 12-inch MacBook, originally released in June 2017, to its refurbished store for the first time. All models feature Intel's seventh-generation Kaby Lake processors and faster graphics options.

refurbished-12-inch-macbook-2017-800x469.jpg

A refurbished base model with a 1.2GHz dual-core Intel Core m3 processor, 256GB flash storage, 8GB of RAM, and Intel HD Graphics 615 is available for $1,099 in the United States, reflecting savings of $200 off Apple's regular price of $1,299. Available colors include Gold, Rose Gold, Silver, and Space Gray.

The base model with a faster 1.3GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor, 256GB flash storage, 8GB of RAM, and Intel HD Graphics 615 is available for $1,189 in the United States, reflecting savings of $210 off Apple's regular price of $1,399. Available colors include Gold, Rose Gold, and Space Gray.

The base model is also available with an upgraded 16GB of RAM for $1,269, or $230 off Apple's regular price of $1,499.

A refurbished higher-end model with a 1.3GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor, 512GB flash storage, 8GB of RAM, and Intel HD Graphics 615 is available for $1,359 in the United States, reflecting savings of $240 off Apple's regular price of $1,599. Available colors include Gold, Rose Gold, Silver, and Space Gray.

The higher-end model is also available with an upgraded 16GB of RAM for $1,529, or $270 off Apple's regular price of $1,799.

Other built-to-order configurations are available for between $1,099 and $1,659 in the United States, including models with up to a 1.4GHz dual-core Intel Core i7 processor, 512GB flash storage, 16GB of RAM, and Intel HD Graphics 615.

Apple says refurbished MacBook models are thoroughly inspected, tested, cleaned, and repackaged, including the manuals and cables included in the box. The notebooks are each given a new serial number and undergo a final quality assurance inspection prior to being added to Apple's refurbished store.

A refurbished MacBook comes with Apple's standard one-year warranty effective on the date the notebook is delivered. The warranty can be extended to three years from the original purchase date with AppleCare+ for Mac, which costs $249 for the the 12-inch MacBook in the United States.

Apple has also added refurbished 2017 MacBooks to its Canadian store, with prices ranging between $1,459 and $2,069.

Related: Guide to Buying Refurbished Apple Products

Article Link: Apple Now Selling Refurbished 2017 MacBooks With Kaby Lake Processors

sza

Suspended
Dec 21, 2010
Hope Apple will release the MacBook pro without touch bar same powerful as the touch bar model. Currently you can’t configure better hardware for the non touch bar model. I just don’t care about that touch bar.

a.gomez

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2008
Meh... Crazy that Apple still using this CoreM garbage and Huawei/Microsoft putting i5 and i7U series in passive cooling shells. Apple needs pick up the game, like yesterday.

Reactions: Yvan256

Hectx

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2016
A 2017 laptop that's significantly less processing power than their new phones (and still more expensive, even with the refurb discount).

What kind of upside down world are we living in?

In an age where people read single miss representing tech articles (from yesterday) that improperly compared the two. It's true the phones are getting pretty powerful, but part of that is due to the amazing optimization of the iOS with their chips. If you imported OSx to the phone, the numbers wouldn't even come close.

P.S. I'm also not tech savvy enough to explain the full difference

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
San Antonio, TX
A 2017 laptop that's significantly less processing power than their new phones (and still more expensive, even with the refurb discount).

So $1099 for a refurb MacBook with 256GB or $1149 for a 256GB iPhone X. Can't believe these prices.

Reactions: raluke

dmylrea

macrumors 68040
Sep 27, 2005
So $1099 for a refurb MacBook with 256GB or $1149 for a 256GB iPhone X. Can't believe these prices.

As long as people line up to buy these overpriced toys, Apple will keep raising the price little-by-little. It's a great marketing ploy. The prices are crazy, but some people just have to have them and will pay anything. Enough people, apparently, that Apple keeps selling record numbers of these overpriced toys.

Reactions: tom.humphrey

deeddawg

macrumors G4
Jun 14, 2010
US
In an age where people read single miss representing tech articles (from yesterday) that improperly compared the two. It's true the phones are getting pretty powerful, but part of that is due to the amazing optimization of the iOS with their chips. If you imported OSx to the phone, the numbers wouldn't even come close.

P.S. I'm also not tech savvy enough to explain the full difference

Don't forget the part where lots of people can't see past their own usage model & priorities to understand that some things are designed and marketed towards different usage models and priorities. :)

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
I have a 2015 MacBook. It's a wonderful computer. Yes, it's underpowered but it's very portable and runs OS X (unlike computing ultrabooks running Windows). If I was in the market for a new laptop, I'd really consider the middle (1.3 GHz i5 with 16 GB RAM) model.

I have 3 27" iMacs to use if I need more power. Occasionally I wish for more power on the go but my laptop has plenty of power for running my statistical software, coding, and writing research articles.

deeddawg

macrumors G4
Jun 14, 2010
US
yep, similar here. I have the 2015 and it has plenty of power for what I use it for. I didn't buy it to be a powerhouse. Nor did I buy it to store all my stuff. I bought it as an ultraportable super-light laptop. I have a 2012 quad-i7 mini with dual displays for when I needs ports/storage/screen/power.

citysnaps

macrumors G3
Oct 10, 2011

A world where most people want a compact lightweight laptop with decent performance and great display, instead of a phone, for doing their work.

Most of Apple's customer base are not tech-nerds who need the fastest CPUs in order to perform their day to day work tasks.

Last edited:

a.gomez

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2008
And they probably die a hot death even faster.

Na... the i5 7300U barely throttles with passive cooling in the SP @15w. This is the same thing Windows people told me about the PowerBook Ti ages ago - 16 years later it still boots.

Apple just getting lazy. This is the easiest solution for fanless.

Reactions: WatchFromAfar
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.