Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Truckondo

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2009
I ordered a 64 gb refurbished today around 5pm. A couple of hours later I got a shipping notice that it will be at my house tomorrow. That’s some fast free shipping as I wasn’t expecting it until next week.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
If I would buy a refurbished product, than I guess this would be my choice. No battery and mostly sitting on a desk, so this should be a safe bet besides being a great product.
Battery condition wouldn't have to be of concern to you as any product Apple 'refurbs' that contains a battery, receives amongst other things, a new battery before being shipped out.

Reactions: Mike MA

zapmymac

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2016
SoCal ☀️
Or $140 for a brand new one with 4-months of Directvnow included:

https://slickdeals.net/coupons/att-tv-now/

Just did this 3 weeks ago! I received mine in 8 calendar days from signing up. Sadly, for my area (socal) I will not be staying with them. Their 24/7 tech support is imo a joke.
[doublepost=1517647886][/doublepost]
I just got a LG 65" OLED. I use the built in Netflix app because my '4K ready' Denon will not pass the encrypted 4K signal. I upped my Netflix to 4K. I cannot see a significant difference. Best TV on the market and the difference, at least with streaming, is so minimal at 65" that it is not worth it. All marketing hype.

When I get a 100" OLED, then I will be interested.
I am dropping the Netflix upgrade.

Everyone go home. Nothing to see here.

https://www.cnet.com/news/four-4k-tv-facts-you-must-know/
"With video on a TV, the difference between 4K/UHD and 1080p/HD resolution is really hard to see. Many of the words in those reviews were written on a laptop in my lab at a theatrically close seating distance, comparing a 65-inch 1080p and a 65-inch 4K TV. Despite all the extra pixels I knew made up the 4K TV's screen, most of the time I didn't see any difference at all, especially with HD TV shows and Blu-rays. The differences in detail I did see were limited to the very best 4K demo material. Larger TVs or closer seating distances make that difference more visible, as do computer graphics, animation, and games, but even then it's not drastic."

I'll have to disagree. Had my aTV4 hooked up to my 50' 2017 Samsung series 6, and when I switched over to the 4K version virtually of the pixels are indistinguishable @ 10.5 feet viewing distance. I have 20/20 vision. The HDR is very noticeable. Of course, it helps to time time to setup your TV, but its sometimes a pain and time consuming...YMMV

100" would be very very nice! :)

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I smell an event in March/April with New Apple TV and MacBooks with iPad for seasoning.

Unlikely to see new ATV before the fall. This one has only been out about 4 months. Frankly it’s surprising to see it offered as a refurbished this soon. Either there was a lot of holiday returns or high defect rate at ramp up.

The price though doesn’t seem to enticing - at least in the U.S. New 32GB ones have been on sale for that price and DTV Now is still offering it essentially for $140 including 4 months of TV (no contract).

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
Yes, imagine the potential if they allocated a team and gave it the focus equivalent to what relatively tiny companies like Roku does with a fraction of the money in the bank. I'd love to see Apple do an "all in" on :apple:TV for a while. There is still so much potential in this little box.

I agree with you. Apple is really lacking in developing any products besides the iPhone. This thing could be a casual gaming giant. But right now the App Store still lists games as “iOS” and you would have to scroll down to see its compatibility with ATV.

They do need a team dedicated just to development and content..... sigh.

Reactions: HobeSoundDarryl

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Am I the only one still don't understand what it does?

You're certainly in the minority. You probably could've figured it out in the time it took to type that question though.

I don't think not understanding the ATV is in the minority. Maybe on this forum, but in the real world, hardly anyone know what an ATV actually is.

First, most people think I am referring to a television. They get confused when I say I hook it up to a TV. Then, I say "like a fire stick", and then they go "oohhhhh, I know what you mean".
[doublepost=1517673244][/doublepost]
My Apple TV and TV 4K are both really laggy, even restarting doesn't fix the problem :/ I have to factory rest, then after going in standby they turn real laggy again.... I've had three since 2015 and they all do it.

I am a long time ATV user, I have the original, a 2, and three 3s, and now an ATV4.

The ATV4 has been the buggiest Apple device I have ever used. It has gotten better, but it is always like two steps forward for one update, then one step back for the next.

My wife constantly complains about it, always saying that the last ATV didn't have problems.

Last edited:
Reactions: B4U

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Am I the only one still don't understand what it does?

It does a LOT of nice things. Pick any one. For example, I get a TON of use out of it as a "just works" way to play my iTunes music, playlists, etc on the best speakers in my home. It's far superior to the classic CD jukeboxes from Sony.

I've digitized all the fam home movies, so they are on-demand available any time anyone wants to watch any of them.

All the photos shot on the mobile devices are immediately displayable on the biggest screens in the house.

Paired with the terrific HDHomeRun boxes + the Channels App, it's a whole house antenna + cable TV with full-featured DVR and no tangible compromises (like Dolby 5.1 sound) or fully-functional DVR.

Movie rental box.

Ripped movie collection box.

Airplay anything to it.

Play games on it.

Video podcasts on the big screen.

Youtube on the big screen.

Netflix/Amazon Prime/etc- all kinds of video apps available.

And on and on.

Reactions: B4U

BornAgainApple

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Massachusetts
Yes, great option if DirectTVNow is an option for someone, got my first ATV4K this way.

Not so great for a second or third ATV4K for other rooms or a vacation house. :)
[doublepost=1517601977][/doublepost]
I've never had an Apple Refurb that wasn't indistinguishable from new (other than the box it came in). Laptops, mini, ipads, etc. All flawless.
[doublepost=1517602138][/doublepost]
Sorry, not fully up to speed on these.

I'm curious. What circumstances would make me want to have a higher capacity ATV? I don't buy videos on itunes, just stream stuff.

I’m not sure about the other streaming services like Amazon and Hulu, but you can download select 4K Netflix programs to the :apple: TV

neliason

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2015
I did that deal - it was a great deal! Highly recommended! They shipped out the ATV 4k _really_ quickly.

DirectTV Now is just "ok"... but the deal is really good.

I know several people who did the deal with the previous model. One person, who had cut the cord years ago, kept the subscription. So there strategy does work.

Personally I really don’t want TV at all, but I’d do the Direct TV deal just to have it for a few months.

LincolnsiPod

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
I'm wondering if I should take the plunge for this despite not having a 4K TV now? Seems there could still be benefits from having the fastest processor and better future proofing.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Right. People do this all the time (buying tech with a bit more power than they can use right now). Your phone likely has the ability to connect to other carriers (bands) right now.

If any of the existing one's conk soon, I'll replace them with 4K version even though some are connected to 1080p TVs and probably will be for at least a few more years. A 4K :apple:TV works just fine with a lessor-capable TV. It may seem like overkill connected to some 1080p TVs but there's simpler faster hardware inside, much like buying the latest & greatest Mac though still using it to run the same old software than ran on the old Mac. If you need a little more muscle (for some app), you'll have it.

Reactions: LincolnsiPod

Soccertess

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2005
Damn it, I wonder if it comes with that crappy Apple remote.

Why wouldn't someone get roku, makes no sense to get an Apple Tv.

B4U

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
You're certainly in the minority. You probably could've figured it out in the time it took to type that question though.
Thank you for the smart comment that does nothing.
If it is that simple, I would not have asked the question, which your comment simply implied that you feel you are smarter than I am and I doubt that...
[doublepost=1517714586][/doublepost]
It does a LOT of nice things. Pick any one. For example, I get a TON of use out of it as a "just works" way to play my iTunes music, playlists, etc on the best speakers in my home. It's far superior to the classic CD jukeboxes from Sony.

I've digitized all the fam home movies, so they are on-demand available any time anyone wants to watch any of them.

All the photos shot on the mobile devices are immediately displayable on the biggest screens in the house.

Paired with the terrific HDHomeRun boxes + the Channels App, it's a whole house antenna + cable TV with full-featured DVR and no tangible compromises (like Dolby 5.1 sound) or fully-functional DVR.

Movie rental box.

Ripped movie collection box.

Airplay anything to it.

Play games on it.

Video podcasts on the big screen.

Youtube on the big screen.

Netflix/Amazon Prime/etc- all kinds of video apps available.

And on and on.

Thank you for explaining in more fine details in what it does than certain folks up there...
Guess I have no use for it with my current usage.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Man, I cannot wait until 4K projector prices come down a little and I can afford to jump up from 1080p...
[doublepost=1517715290][/doublepost]
if your 1080p plasma is capable of displaying 24Hz natively (at 72 or 96 Hz), like eg. the Pioneer Kuro, then you must consider to Apple TV 4K with its auto frame rate matching (at 1080p) instead of the old Apple TV 4 :)

This is intriguing me. I would love to watch 24p video if I can. Are the streaming services (iTunes, Netflix, Amazon, etc) providing 24p frame rates in their titles or is it the kind of thing you have to use Blu-ray or something to get? I also need to double-check that my projector (Epson 2040) has 24p support...

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Seen the 64GB version is £139 here but really not sure I have the need to upgrade my Apple TV from last year. Don't think I watch enough 4K content for it to be worth it.

ersan191

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2013
Thank you for the smart comment that does nothing.
If it is that simple, I would not have asked the question, which your comment simply implied that you feel you are smarter than I am and I doubt that...
[doublepost=1517714586][/doublepost]

Thank you for explaining in more fine details in what it does than certain folks up there...
Guess I have no use for it with my current usage.
Never said you were dumb (Though a wise man once said "A huge part of being an idiot is calling people out for thinking they're better than you."). I implied that you were being lazy and/or lacked any form of self sufficiency. You asked the question "Am I the only one still don't understand what it does?" - I answered it, the answer was "you're in the minority". It's an Apple product that's been around for over a decade and you're on an Apple forum.

This tells you exactly what it does https://www.apple.com/tv/

Last edited:
Reactions: cwagz78

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
This is up to google, they are limiting it on many devices on purpose I believe.

You believe wrong. YouTube 4K isn't supported on many Apple devices because of lack of royalty free VP9 hardware and software decoders that ~$60 devices like Chromecast Ultra, Amazon Fire TV 4K, etc. have.

ersan191

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2013
You believe wrong. YouTube 4K isn't supported on many Apple devices because of lack of royalty free VP9 hardware and software decoders that ~$60 devices like Chromecast Ultra, Amazon Fire TV 4K, etc. have.
Indeed, Apple is all in on HEVC - Safari doesn't even support VP9

This one is Apple's fault.

Reactions: mi7chy

B4U

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
Never said you were dumb (Though a wise man once said "A huge part of being an idiot is calling people out for thinking they're better than you."). I implied that you were being lazy and/or lacked any form of self sufficiency. You asked the question "Am I the only one still don't understand what it does?" - I answered it, the answer was "you're in the minority". It's an Apple product that's been around for over a decade and you're on an Apple forum.

This tells you exactly what it does https://www.apple.com/tv/
You did not say that I was dumb, but you simply implied that. The receiving end of the communication always perceives differently.

Back at the original post I made: Am I the only one still don't understand what it does?
You simply supported my point being NOT the only one by stating that I am the minority.
But, you provided absolutely no data to support your claim, which in turn becomes nothing more than your mere opinion. Of course, you are entitled to your opinion whether it is right or wrong.

The next point you made, "You probably could've figured it out in the time it took to type that question though."
Well, I took less than 3 seconds to type that question. For someone like yourself who knows what it does, it still took you more than 3 seconds to find ANY answers to my question, so your argument is totally invalid.

You then implied that I am being lazy, well, guess that applies to you too. That is because you did not even bother trying to say what it does in the first reply that should have taken less time to figure out by the time you typed out the response. Additionally, the second reply simply pointed out to a link that does a poor job of explaining what the product does. So more laziness...

You implied that I lacked any form of self sufficiency, yet there is no proof for the claim since you have absolutely no idea how much I have researched before asking the question, so it is again more opinion of yours.

The reason why the question is being asked in an Apple rumor forum is to expect some help of explanation of what it does and not smart comments.
It is even listed in the forum rules:
"posting overused memes, or making posts with images or videos that contain no relevant, constructive text or commentary. If you aren't interested in a thread, skip the thread; don't post to tell us you aren't interested."

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.