Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cwagz78

macrumors member
May 27, 2012
You did not say that I was dumb, but you simply implied that. The receiving end of the communication always perceives differently.

Back at the original post I made: Am I the only one still don't understand what it does?
You simply supported my point being NOT the only one by stating that I am the minority.
But, you provided absolutely no data to support your claim, which in turn becomes nothing more than your mere opinion. Of course, you are entitled to your opinion whether it is right or wrong.

The next point you made, "You probably could've figured it out in the time it took to type that question though."
Well, I took less than 3 seconds to type that question. For someone like yourself who knows what it does, it still took you more than 3 seconds to find ANY answers to my question, so your argument is totally invalid.

You then implied that I am being lazy, well, guess that applies to you too. That is because you did not even bother trying to say what it does in the first reply that should have taken less time to figure out by the time you typed out the response. Additionally, the second reply simply pointed out to a link that does a poor job of explaining what the product does. So more laziness...

You implied that I lacked any form of self sufficiency, yet there is no proof for the claim since you have absolutely no idea how much I have researched before asking the question, so it is again more opinion of yours.

The reason why the question is being asked in an Apple rumor forum is to expect some help of explanation of what it does and not smart comments.
It is even listed in the forum rules:
"posting overused memes, or making posts with images or videos that contain no relevant, constructive text or commentary. If you aren't interested in a thread, skip the thread; don't post to tell us you aren't interested."

Wow...

ersan191

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2013
if your 1080p plasma is capable of displaying 24Hz natively (at 72 or 96 Hz), like eg. the Pioneer Kuro, then you must consider to Apple TV 4K with its auto frame rate matching (at 1080p) instead of the old Apple TV 4 :)
Please be aware that they are adding frame rate matching to the "old" Apple TV 4 as well - The tvOS 11.3 public beta already supports this and it will be a part of the next finalized tvOS release.

Internet Enzyme

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2016
Isn't that YouTube issue?

Apple doesn't write the YouTube apps.

I believe it may have to do with the fact that Apple does not provide native VP9 decoding, rather it backs h.265 instead. YouTube compresses all 4k video with VP9. This is why Safari on the Mac has 1440p as the highest resolution on YouTube, while Chrome does not have such a restriction. I believe that it is up to both Apple and Google with this one. I just dont care whos problem it is, it has to be fixed. youtube is a massive service and not supporting 4k on the apple tv 4k is nonsense

ersan191

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2013
Context is buying a second or third ATV4K. So the value of a second or third simultaneous DTVN subscription is limited for most folks.
Not simultaneously - the smart thing to do would be to extend your current subscription every 4 months and get a new ATV in the process, assuming they continue running the promotion.

Either way, it is at least $10 less for a new product instead of a refurbished one.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Not simultaneously - the smart thing to do would be to extend your current subscription every 4 months and get a new ATV in the process, assuming they continue running the promotion.
Yes, if you can wait you can stagger the subs and increase the value substantially.

In my particular case I started a DTVN sub w/ free ATV4K a month ago and at the same time started playing with Homekit. I really could use a 2nd & 3rd ATV4K now rather than waiting three months for one and seven months for the other. That's the cost of impatience though... :D

blcamp

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Bought!
[doublepost=1517623649][/doublepost]

Yeah, they just dropped this 4K (well relatively recently). I don't think we're going to see a new aTV this year. I bet we see a new Mac Mini before a new aTV.
[doublepost=1517624610][/doublepost]
What are you filling all that storage with?

A pretty good sized portfolio of apps (including games)... plus a number of frequently-watched movies that I can have my son just start up without having to buffer/stream.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.