Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

091216-uk_ipad.jpg

Apple has started taking international pre-orders for the iPad. The iPad was originally launched in the U.S. only, but will become available in nine new countries starting May 28th. The list of countries include Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Spain, Switzerland and the UK. Pre-orders are being accepted for both Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi + 3G models.

Customers should check their country's Apple Store for pricing information. Apple plans to expand their international release to nine additional countries in July. The countries to be added in July include Austria, Belgium, Hong Kong, Ireland, Luxembourg, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand and Singapore.

Article Link: Apple Now Taking International iPad Pre-Orders

yensteel

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2009
It's a somewhat of a disappointment that it's only going to be released for these countries for the time being.

The pace of the expansion feels too slow. It's understandable for the 3G version, but it's ridiculous for the Wifi-only version.

Thomas Davie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2004
The 3G data plan for the iPad is $35 Cdn for 5gb. I personally do not see this as being enough data, so I guess I'll just have to wait. Nothing magical, evolutionary or wonderful here....yet.

Tom

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
So they take pre-orders in Hong Kong, yet many there (from what I've read) use traditional characters - a feature not supported an in input method.

billyjoegibsonx

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2008
The 3G data plan for the iPad is $35 Cdn for 5gb. I personally do not see this as being enough data, so I guess I'll just have to wait. Nothing magical, evolutionary or wonderful here....yet.

Tom

That sucks. I hope you can get to purchase one soon! However, maybe it's just me but I don't know how I could use 5GB up in a month! Does the iPad use up more data? I've had my iPhone for a year and have only just gone over 1.5GB data (download/upload)

hollose

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
Selectional - not international

Well, I guess you can be happy if you live in the selected international countries. For us in Scandinavia(Denmark, Sweden, Norway), one of Apple´s strongholds, no Ipad whatsoever, not even in second wave in july.

Bad bad Apple.... And we are being mocked by the Ipad "Magical" ad on the front page of the local Apple site, every time we visit....

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003
That sucks. I hope you can get to purchase one soon! However, maybe it's just me but I don't know how I could use 5GB up in a month! Does the iPad use up more data? I've had my iPhone for a year and have only just gone over 1.5GB data (download/upload)

It can use slightly more depending on the application. For example, since you have a higher resolution screen, you need to download more tiles when using Google Maps.

Maybe he is just a nomad and likes to wander around using the GPS/Maps capabilities. ;)

Hickman

alhasa

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2008
ordered!

I just ordered my 16gb iPad Wifi + 3G :D

total cost = £520.50 (£529 - £13.50 cashback from quidco.com + £5 quidco membership)

billyjoegibsonx

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2008
It can use slightly more depending on the application. For example, since you have a bigger screen you need to download more tiles when using Google Maps.

Maybe he is just a nomad and likes to wander around using the GPS/Maps capabilities. ;)

Hickman

Oh yeah. Didn't think of that lol. We'll i hope he can find something that suits his needs! :D

I wonder what model will sell most! What you think? seems to be 16GB wifi only at the moment.

Banquo

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2010
And only... 79 days until the Irish release.

''Whoo''

(I complain now, but I'll be all over this when it is released here :D)

avvpiras

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2003
Cagliari, Italy
iPad data plans in Italy

At the moment, in Italy only Vodafone has announced the following data plans for the iPad:

one day, 500 MB cap, 2 Euro

one month, unlimited data, 30 Euro

billyjoegibsonx

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2008
And only... 79 days until the Irish release.

''Whoo''

(I complain now, but I'll be all over this when it is released here :D)

Oh :( Can't you take a sail over to mainland UK and purchase one? Or are you in the market for the 3G model? I'm sure you'll be happy when you finally get it either way eh? :D

Fraaaa

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
London, UK
I waited so long that actually I'm not so psyched anymore :(

I saved up enough to get me either a 32wifi or a 16wifi3G and now I though if I spend those money I actually will not have savings for months to come, so I may will wait a little more.

On the other hand, I just got £8k+ student finance loan, I may use those :p

@avvpiras

what carriers there are in Italy beside vodafone for the iPad?

karlwig

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2008
Ugh.

Apple really has to step up the production volume.

Here in Norway people cant wait to throw their money at Apple for these things. Kinda strange that Apple wouldnt want to be as early as possible into the Scandinavian market, looking at the massive success of the iPhone.

batfink666

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2010
First off, Hello, new member to forums here

Is there an option to "reserve for pick up" at a UK store?

I read that for the US release there was the option to reserve to collect from the apple store on the release date, does anyone know if apple will offer the same in the UK, i've looked all over the apple retail pages and can not find any information on it.

Thanks

Fraaaa

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
London, UK
I wonder how many iPads will sell in the next 28 days now that they are world wide.

what we know:

300,000 day one (US wifi only)
450,000 week one (US wifi only)
1,000,000 after 28 days (US wifi only(?))

9 new countries from 28th May

my low prediction is 1,000,000 within a week.

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2010
"Dear Steve,

I just wanted to say how pleased I am now I can order myself the great iPad!

Regards,

Bill"

Jobs replies;

"Educate yourself. It is not great. It is magical. It features killer graphics, too."

pcliff

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2010
Cheaper in Spain

Any ideas why the iPad is at least E20 cheaper in Spain...

Germany, France and Italy all E499, Spain E479 for the 16GB wifi

Strangely Germany E714 for the 64GB wifi Spain E679

???

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.