Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Evil Spoonman

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2011
California
I can confirm that this story is true.

I have a 27" iMac (late 2012, iMac13,2) and it has had a failed hinge spring for perhaps a year now. Previously not covered. I contacted Apple today and they indicated that it was covered under warranty and told me to bring it in, no further questions asked.

This is good news because I was cranky about this weak hinge design and considered it a design defect. Apparently Apple did too. I will update if there is a problem with the repair, but I don't expect there to be. I have a case number with an agreement in writing.

Just to follow up:

I took my iMac in and the hinge was repaired, out of warranty, under the quality program. I spoke to Apple Support before I brought the iMac into the store to confirm they would cover it so I did not have to make a trip needlessly.

If I was paying out of pocket the repair would have cost in the neighborhood of CA$150.

pob42

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2011
Sheffield, UK
Just a quick bump on this thread. My Jan 2013 27" iMac (late 2012 model) has just been repaired by the Apple Store, Sheffield, UK.
There was no charge for this and they only had the unit for 48 hours.
The work authorisation sheet quoted the following: Cover under quality program. Article number. CP1566
The cost should have been £110.40

hammo123

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2013
Just a quick bump on this thread. My Jan 2013 27" iMac (late 2012 model) has just been repaired by the Apple Store, Sheffield, UK.
There was no charge for this and they only had the unit for 48 hours.
The work authorisation sheet quoted the following: Cover under quality program. Article number. CP1566
The cost should have been £110.40
[doublepost=1485942404][/doublepost]Just a heads up if you live in Australia & have the hinge snap on your Imac Late 2013 27"

DON"T go to the Apple Store Chatswood Chase !!

Mine popped a few weeks ago ...heard a loud "snap" while in another room ..sounded like someone had thrown a stone @ my window!!
So I called Apple & my AppleCare had just expired and first appt available was on the 31st Jan.

When I brought up the fact that it is now common knowledge at Apple about this issue & Quoted the first post here:

In September, Apple extended its related iMac hinge repair program to cover late 2012 and late 2013 iMacs for up to five years from the date of their original purchase, compared to an original three-year period. Apple will replace the hinge mechanism on affected iMacs at no charge, regardless of warranty coverage.

Unlike some of Apple's other Exchange and Repair Extension Programs listed on its website, the details of this program have not been made publicly available. Apple has instead sent internal communication to Apple Authorized Service Providers with information about repairs and refunds.

The Genius went to consult the Store Manager/"Task Officer" [ whatever hipster title they bestow upon themselves ]
She returned to tell me basically his reply was it's Tough Luck mate ! Pony up or live with a floppy screen >:<

Having said that the staff [except the Store Manager] are very helpful & the repair was done within 24 hrs.
avkmrd.jpg

Evil Spoonman

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2011
California
[doublepost=1485942404][/doublepost]Just a heads up if you live in Australia & have the hinge snap on your Imac Late 2013 27"

DON"T go to the Apple Store Chatswood Chase !!
I lived in Australia for some time. Before I moved there I had plenty of experience with Apple support in the San Francisco Bay Area (prior to 2011). Which was always exceptional, helpful, easy. It was much of what kept me an Apple customer.

After moving to Australia I bought another Mac, but unfortunately had to visit support for a reason or two here or there. Each time I did it was like pulling teeth. Be it in-store, by chat, or via phone. Not helpful, not easy, they tried to make it costly, in some cases they just never got back to me. Overall the impression that I was left with is that Apple Australia do not run the tight ship that is enjoyed by US customers. I know Aussies are used to being generally shafted in tech, but it's just unfortunate that this is also true in support for purchased products.

I'm sorry to hear your repair did not go as you hoped. Alas, I told that little anecdote because I wasn't surprised when I saw which country it was.

Reactions: hammo123

hammo123

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2013
I'm sorry to hear your repair did not go as you hoped. Alas, I told that little anecdote because I wasn't surprised when I saw which country it was.

Thanks for the reaffirmation Evil Spoonman.
I didn’t want to come across as some dour and bitter plonker.
The fact remains I have been an Apple Mac user now for almost 20 years and rarely needed hardware support as [touch wood] most of the Macs I have owned never had issues that I couldn’t attend to myself.

I still have 2 x G4 Powermac “wind tunnels” that boot and will run all day 24/7.
I do love the newer Intel Macs and OS X for the most part.

I guess it’s more the pleasant but somehow insulting undercurrent one feels upon entering an Apple Store for a “Genius” appointment.
There’s a sort of vibe that you’re a complete moron and the problem, whatever it is... MUST have been due to negligence on your part or something you have done!!

I’ve had more civility and empathy facing a misdemeanor in a Local Court House ! o_O :rolleyes:

dpfenninger

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2005
Bumping this thread...had my 27" iMac hinge snap just today, made a Genius Bar appointment for later this week. Hoping they'll cover the repair as my AppleCare just expired a month ago...of course. :/

iF34R

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2011
South Carolina
How bad is this? Mine will be fine for a few days, and eventually I have to adjust it. Is that broken, or does it simply not hold at all when it's broken?

Garrod

Suspended
Nov 13, 2008
UK
How bad is this? Mine will be fine for a few days, and eventually I have to adjust it. Is that broken, or does it simply not hold at all when it's broken?

Mine use to hold its position all the time until it broke. Now it's just constantly leaning forward - it won't hold in any position.

Reactions: iF34R

girlmama

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2018
Just took my iMac to apple. They wanted $107 USD to repair the hinge. Said they knew nothing of this program (I know it's a little late but I was hopeful) and reduced it by half. Since it was an internal document IDK how to reference it.

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Jan 31, 2003
I'm about to take my Mac in for the hinge replacement too, sigh. I really hope they're not charging for this again. This should always be eligible for those iMac's that qualify indefinitely and not just for a limited time only. I would hope they have better customer service than this.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Mine finally broke. A late 2012 iMac.

I spoke with Apple support and there’s still a chance they’ll cover this but Apple Stores no longer carry the parts because it’s a vintage Mac. Third party licensed repair shops might have the parts.

Thing is, this iMac is beyond old, it’s geriatric. At this age, the internal Fusion Drive is dead, there’s burn in on the screen and it’s at the end of the road for macOS updates. I’ve been holding off replacing it longer and longer because I use my iPad Pro as my main computer but there are instances in which I want to sit at a Mac on my desk.

I’d buy an iMac Pro but it’s overdue for a refresh. The iMac itself seems primed for a complete redesign with the Mac Pro design language. Bad timing for this thing to break.

I'm about to take my Mac in for the hinge replacement too, sigh. I really hope they're not charging for this again.

Did they charge for the repair?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.