Apple Offers Free Repairs of Products Damaged in Japan Floods

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 27, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple has announced that it will repair any Mac, iPhone, Apple Watch, iPad, iPod, or Thunderbolt Display directly damaged by heavy rains in Japan in July, free of charge, so long as the product is actually repairable.

[​IMG]

Affected customers can contact Apple by dialing 0120-27753-5 to arrange for pick up of any eligible products through the end of September, according to a notice on Apple's website spotted by Japanese blog Mac Otakara.

Apple will service the damaged products free of charge and then return them to customers, although there may be delays, as delivery services by courier companies are suspended in some areas due to damage from the floodwaters.

Record rainfall in southwestern Japan in July resulted in widespread flooding, landslides, burst riverbanks, and collapsed buildings across the region.

Article Link: Apple Offers Free Repairs of Products Damaged in Japan Floods

2. Guidonculous macrumors newbie

Guidonculous

Dunno if this is common, but super cool regardless.

3. robbietop macrumors regular

robbietop

There were multiple really bad hurricanes last year in Apple's home country, one of which put a whole city under water and the other pretty much destroyed Puerto Rico.

And yet Japan gets free repairs.

4. haruhiko macrumors 601

haruhiko

A very smart gesture to bring a bit of relieve to the Japanese people, and probably won't cost them a lot.

5. benshive macrumors member

Must be a huge relief for those people to see this. Way to go Apple

6. TimmeyCook Suspended

TimmeyCook

Imagine if they did this thing in any country other than Japan... I know I would take advantage even though I don’t need.

Seriously, this is big.

7. GBrooks macrumors member

Apple collectively raised $13,000,000 to aid the relief efforts in Puerto Rico last year.

8. Mr. Donahue macrumors 6502

Mr. Donahue

Now that’s a stand up move Apple!
    That’s the Apple that keeps people loyal.

9. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

I like that Apple is doing this to help ease the pain for the victims of the flooding in Japan. I am curious to see if this is something Apple does moving forward.

Less than 1 year ago, 100,000 homes were flooded in Houston by Hurricane Harvey. I am sure many Apple devices were made unusable by flood waters but were still repairable. With Apple having a large presence just a 150 miles away in Austin, it seems like that would have been a great time to roll out a program like this.

I would love to see Apple continue this trend. Time will tell.

10. The-Rift Suspended

The-Rift

Good Apple:)
    --- Post Merged, Jul 27, 2018 ---
    So what advantages would you take...? Curious

11. Billfmtx, Jul 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2018

Billfmtx macrumors newbie

Please disregard the following paragraph which was written with ignorance. I have since been enlightened and, hopefully, will not write any more idiotic comments.

My TCW of comment is that I certainly would not want a product, that is not inexpensive, that has been through a flood no matter what repairs they do. Apple should replace, not just look at and fix, the damaged products. Would you want a 40k car after it has been through a flood? After purchase, wait for delivery, ship for fix, wait for fix and return - no thanks.

12. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

By that logic, nobody should do anything at all.

Oh, you donated to a charity which helps starving children in Africa? Well what about the charity for animal abuse, or child trafficking, or saving the rainforest? Monster! Don't you care about any of those other things?

13. Mike MA macrumors 68000

Mike MA

Nice one, especially in comparison to other companies. Yet I think donations like this should rather involve countries with less prosperity first. My opinion.

14. Creepitor macrumors regular

Just get out of here with your cynicism

15. alex00100 macrumors 6502

Oh my god! You are not entitled to a charity just because it happened somewhere else. Japnanese people are less wealthy in general than Americans yet pay the same money or more to apple than you, why the hell do you deserve free repairs more?

16. haruhiko macrumors 601

haruhiko

You don't actually want everyone to get free repair. You just don't want the Japanese to get the free repair.

17. Princejb134 macrumors regular

Apples customer service is amazing. What other company would do this?

18. macintoshmac macrumors 68030

macintoshmac

Do not get me wrong on this:

Apple likes to raise money usually for relief efforts or anything, and as someone above pointed out, it raised a large sum of money for Puerto Rico.

In contrast, I believe, they are offering free repairs to Japanese people because, for sure, it would cost them not much (they would have some idea of what they are looking at in terms of repair costs) and, by and large, the Japanese are highly scrupulous people.

It is really nice of Apple to do this. Would also like to see which other company, if any, would do this - I doubt they can, because of the serious bottomline hit they will encounter.

19. gene731 macrumors member

Well I am just asking this as a honest question so don’t beat me up to bad. As another poster said if it is water damaged who would want that to be repaired leading to my question.
    Never have been to Japan but do they have flood/homeowners insurance that wouldn’t either replace or compensate for their loss?

20. AJ5790 macrumors 6502

21. OldSchoolMacGuy Suspended

OldSchoolMacGuy

Apple has done this numerous times for other disasters including in Texas, Florida, Alberta, the UK, and other areas.

Notice what all the above have that they don't have in Puerto Rico? An Apple, such as the Apple Store. Pretty hard to provide support if you don't have support in the country.

22. chromite macrumors regular

Ah, the smell of subtle racism in the morning.

23. OldSchoolMacGuy Suspended

OldSchoolMacGuy

Apple is under zero obligation to help repair these products, in fact water damage is normally a condition under which they won't attempt any repair (bring your water-damaged MacBook Pro to them here in the US and they won't even attempt to fix it). They could let these people be out all that money and have no choice but to buy new products, but instead they're trying to help.

And what do you do? You complain that it's not enough. Wow.

24. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

What about mailing it in?

25. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

Japanese isn’t a race.

Either way, I don’t think there’s anything wrong with asking why they didn’t offer free repairs in the Harvey floods.