Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

NewImage10.png

Apple today released a new case for the iPad 2 and new iPad offering the same functionality as the existing Smart Cover, but it covers the back of the iPad as well as the front.
The iPad Smart Case covers your iPad -- both front and back -- yet still retains the thin, light design of iPad. Like the Smart Cover, it folds easily into a stand for reading, typing, and watching video. And it automatically wakes and sleeps iPad on open and close. Made from polyurethane, it's available in six bright colors. And you can personalize it with free laser engraving on the Apple Online Store.
The new Smart Case is available for $49 on the Apple Online Store in Light Gray, Dark Gray, Blue, Green, Pink and Red.

Article Link: Apple Offers New $49 Smart Case for iPad

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
Interesting. Considering this, but I wonder if they're done something about the front sorta just flapping in the wind when you have it open. The magnet at the top isn't strong enough to hold it to the iPad even without a case.

ksgant

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
Chicago
is the cover permanently attached to the back cover? Or is it still held on by "magic magnets"?

My wife has a devil of a time with the current cover, she keeps knocking it off her iPad 2.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
those look not like something apple would design :eek:

they scream chinese knock-off

what is wrong with apple today

Lukkee24

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011
London
I never bought a smart cover because it didn't protect the back of the iPad, but I'm now considering purchasing one of these for my iPad 2. Looks quite nice imo (except some of the colours, like the green one!). I'd probably get the grey one.

afd

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2005
Scotland
I bought a Switcheasy Canvas for my iPad, I like it a lot but not so sure it'll last as long as the apple case for my original iPad. Mine is still in every day use and hasn't began to split or show much wear.
If this had been around when new iPad came out I'd have bought one.

-TYLER

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2012
Price is ridiculous, I'll stick with my case crown omni I got for $30 and it looks better than that..

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
The New iPad Smart Case.
Created by Apple in Cupertino, California.
Designed by Fisher-Price in East Aurora, New York.
Made in China.

-Knight-

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
Miami, FL
Not sure I would buy this for $50, I also want to buy a flexible arm to hold my iPad 3 so I don't know if those arms will be able to hold the iPad with this Smart Case on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.