Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bassanoclapper

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2008
London
just read about the features in the OP...interesting. they're going to have to push an update out soon. first, i see no where to get to settings, so how could i set a timer on my podcasts? am i just missing it?

EDIT: i should mention i havent tried listening to a podcast yet, not near my phone at this moment. maybe you can set a time once you start playing a podcast? i'll try it out later

It's by individual podcasts as far as I can see. Clicking the arrow in the title bar goes to settings for that episode

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
Audible Podcasts

I subscribe to a few paid podcasts from Audible like "The Wall Street Journal". I get a custom URL from Audible which I then put into iTunes to get these on the desktop. Where can I put the custom URL in the app?

Maybe I can just start to sync the podcast from my desktop and get a few episodes on my phone, then I will be able to start subscribing directly from the phone? Anyone see another way?

ZepFloyd

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
It's by individual podcasts as far as I can see. Clicking the arrow in the title bar goes to settings for that episode

not sure what arrow you're talking about, but just figured out how to see that analog tape background people were talking about. had to flip the podcast icon up for it to move up the screen which revealed it. anyways, on the right side there is a timer icon, this allows you to choose a timer setting.

MathijsDelva

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2008
Few questions

- How can i download old podcasts from a subscription? For example, Stones Throw Records only goes back to episode 68.

- What should i do with my locally stored podcasts and subscriptions on my Mac? They don't seem to sync?

Abbsta

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
I'm going to have to compare this to the Downcast app that I purchased a while back. The number one reason I bought Downcast is because it would automatically download the latest episodes without needing to sync with iTunes.

It does auto download.

ZepFloyd

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
I dont understand why they are finding it necessary to have podcasts as their own app.

its fine by me..i dont mind it. it was most important to allow to subscribe to podcasts on the phone. so however they wanted to do that, whether it was to just allow the option in the itunes store, or create their own app. whatever. just glad they finally did it.

brianus

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2005
It didn't remove podcasts from mine... they are still showing up in both places.

Same here. That screenshot posted earlier looked like iOS 6, so maybe it does that in the new OS but not the current one. Makes me wonder why they bothered releasing it now and not waiting till the fall -- I guess they're using us as beta testers. But that's just as well, given the bugs and stuff they left out; we can keep using the Music and Videos apps until they work out the kinks.

Just a few of the annoyances I've discovered:

* "Tortoise" and "Hare" mode reset back to normal speed after each podcast. The app doesn't remember your preference like the Music one does.

* There's no "half moon" icon for partially-played podcasts, it's either a solid dot for unplayed, or nothing.

* No playlist support as far as I can see. Music app allows this for podcasts.

* You have to manually bring up the "special" controls like speed, sleep, playback scrollbar, etc. In the Music app it keeps these up for all podcasts until you tell it to go away, and vice versa.

devsfan1830

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2011
VA
I subscribe to a few paid podcasts from Audible like "The Wall Street Journal". I get a custom URL from Audible which I then put into iTunes to get these on the desktop. Where can I put the custom URL in the app?

Maybe I can just start to sync the podcast from my desktop and get a few episodes on my phone, then I will be able to start subscribing directly from the phone? Anyone see another way?

My concerns exactly. I also use the "podcast it" feature of Audible to subscribe to daily uploads of The Opie & Anthony Show. Audible has a podcast it button which put it in my iTunes podcasts on my desktop. The individual episode was detected and imported by the podcast app, but it is unable to download any others. I assume its because there is no built in audible authorization mechanism. The only solution is to use the Audible app. If they force podcasts into its won app with iOS 6, then its going to cause a loss of Audible syncing between iOS and desktop iTunes (boooo!). Its early yet, and so I see this as a early preview of a new app. Hopefully they add Audible features to the app, or Audible creates its own desktop solution that syncs content and position with a desktop client.

ajvizzgamer101

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
United States
I am very curious when Apple talked to Facebook... because Facebook intergration seems rushed through out OS X and iOS and isn't even presented in this app, as a sharing option.

JamSandwich

macrumors regular
May 19, 2006
My only hope is that iOS6 removing podcasts from the Music app doesn't affect the function of peripheral devices. I have a new car stereo specifically to listen to podcasts on my phone.

I can connect with a 3.5" cable, but it's easier (and probably safer) using USB, since that gives me control via the head unit.

EDIT: I can use apps like Downcast, more or less, but the controls on the head unit like fast forward, etc., don't work very well. Clearly something will "kind of" work, but I hope things will continue to work as well as they do now.

Whatever the case, it's not a bad idea to give podcasts a place of their own. Very little real estate and very little visibility in iTunes (specifically on iOS) IMO.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
I am very curious when Apple talked to Facebook... because Facebook intergration seems rushed through out OS X and iOS and isn't even presented in this app, as a sharing option.

Maybe because Facebook integration is still in beta on both platforms? :)

imahawki

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2011
My only hope is that iOS6 removing podcasts from the Music app doesn't affect the function of peripheral devices. I have a new car stereo specifically to listen to podcasts on my phone.

I can connect with a 3.5" cable, but it's easier (and probably safer) using USB, since that gives me control via the head unit.

EDIT: I can use apps like Downcast, more or less, but the controls on the head unit like fast forward, etc., don't work very well. Clearly something will "kind of" work, but I hope things will continue to work as well as they do now.

Whatever the case, it's not a bad idea to give podcasts a place of their own. Very little real estate and very little visibility in iTunes (specifically on iOS) IMO.

Hopefully it will work BETTER. One of my beefs with the music app is that my Sync system (I'm not a huge fan in general but the car came with it) often gets confused. It won't stop the current podcast (sometimes, its random) sometimes and I'll get back in the car and it will have lost my place and played through the next 2 episodes (ARGH). I'm sure this is a Sync problem and not the iPhone but maybe the new app will work better.

bassanoclapper

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2008
London
* There's no "half moon" icon for partially-played podcasts, it's either a solid dot for unplayed, or nothing.
I've got half moons for partially played episodes

Attachments

• 2012-06-26 21.18.04.png
    2012-06-26 21.18.04.png
    222.2 KB · Views: 80

LJ50

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2011
Don't worry, your money was well spent, Downcast is much better imo. Still, good to see Apple are rectifying the ghastly changes to podcast playback that came with ios5, the main reason I made the jump to Downcast in the first place.
Agreed 100% with this. The absolute catastrophe that was podcast playback in iOS5 on the iPad sent me off looking for something else and that something else was Downcast. A fantastic app, worth much more than the £1.99 it costs.

metsjetsfan

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2011
Redeem Button?

Do people see the redeem button? guess it's true what they say, could be the beginning of paid podcasts. Hopefully if it goes that way there will be no ads in some of the pods.

kendo88

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
Coventry
So this app looks great. Couple of questions though.

Anybody know how to get syncing to work? I subscribed to a few on my iPad, but they do not appear on my iPhone.

For audio podcasts we get a sleep timer, which for me is great. But i watch video podcasts mainly, and I cannot see a sleep timer for video. Am I missing it anywhere?

Thanks

bassanoclapper

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2008
London
So this app looks great. Couple of questions though.

Anybody know how to get syncing to work? I subscribed to a few on my iPad, but they do not appear on my iPhone...
Thanks
I have different podcasts subscribed on my iPhone than my iPad. The apps have subscribed the same way as my iTunes is set up

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.