Apple Offers Replacement Program for iPod Shuffle Headphones With Remote

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today launched a new replacement program for users experiencing problems with the headphones that shipped with Apple's third-generation iPod shuffle that launched in March 2009 and was updated last September.
Apple has determined that the Apple Headphones with Remote included with the iPod shuffle (3rd gen) may fail under certain conditions. A very small percentage of iPod shuffle owners have experienced this issue. These headphones were included with the iPod shuffle (3rd generation) made between approximately February 2009 and February 2010.
Users experiencing non-responsive or intermittently-responsive controls on the integrated remote or unexpected volume changes or voice feedback should check to see whether their iPod shuffles fall into the range of affected serial numbers.
Serial number ranges of the iPod shuffle with the covered headphones:
xx909xxxxxx to xx952xxxxxx
xx001xxxxxx to xx004xxxxxx
Apple's accessory headphone systems, Apple In-Ear Headphones with Remote and Mic and Apple Earphones with Remote and Mic, experiencing similar symptoms are also covered by the replacement program.

Affected users in the U.S. should use Apple's online support system to request replacement headphones. Along with the replacement headphones, Apple will provide a pre-paid return envelope to provide for the return of the defective headphones. Users may also visit an Apple Retail Store (or Apple Authorized Service Provider outside the U.S.) for replacement.

Article Link: Apple Offers Replacement Program for iPod Shuffle Headphones With Remote

theheff

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2006
Denver, CO
cool

had this exact problem with my original iPhone 3GS headphones... i was able to get those replaced a few months ago at the Apple store, though.

Skoal

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2009
I would have gotten a shuffle had it not been for those silly proprietary headphones but alas I went for the gen5 nano instead and of course I'm very happy with it! Especially with my Bose headphones that haven't failed me in 3 abusive years! ;)

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
I have had this problem

for nearly a year now, a fiddle and a wiggle will usually get it working again. I just hadn't gone to a geinus where I heard they would replace, but it is nice to now see they have a program for it.

I wonder why though, if one does it online one has to provide credit card and all that jazz, when it is clearly a problem and now is being repaired/replaced

SimonTheSoundMa

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2006
Birmingham, UK
Whenever my iPod headphones break, I just take them to an Apple Store. They always replace them on the spot no questions asked. Doesn't matter on the age.

They did the same with an iPod USB cable too.

Skizzot

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2010
I wonder why though, if one does it online one has to provide credit card and all that jazz, when it is clearly a problem and now is being repaired/replaced
http://www.apple.com/support/headphones/replacementprogram/
"Upon completion of your online service request, Apple will send you a replacement along with a pre-paid return envelope so that you can ship back the original headphones. It's important that you return the original headphones so that they can be examined and recycled responsibly. If Apple does not receive your original headphones within 10 business days, your credit card will be charged a non-return fee."

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Not exactly related to the iPod Shuffle earbuds, but:

I owned two iPod earbuds (the normal ones without volume controls and stuff) and each time, precisely a few days after the warranty expired, the rubber around the earbuds just peeled off like clay. I don't dip them in acid and I'm SUPER carful with every expensive technology I own. All I can say is that Apple's earphones are very bad quality and they sound very bad too. Moreover, they are so extremely expensive that I just can't imagine what in the world is so damn expensive with them. For that price you can buy the best earbuds or even better headphones from any other brand. I think Apple shouldn't include earbuds with their iPods, allowing much cheaper iPods and allowing users to choose much better alternatives. Or they should just make better earbuds if they want to stick to that price.

MvdM

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2005
They should fix the way this thing works. What's wrong with a prev/next and a play/pause button instead of pressing and holding buttons? This little thing is the most difficult Apple device to operate EVER!

slicecom

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2003
Toronto, Canada
I've been through 3 pairs because of this very problem. Hopefully they've fixed it in the replacements now. It's caused by sweat getting into the clicker. It only takes one good workout and the controls will stop working.

BigTRQ

macrumors regular
May 30, 2007
So glad to hear that the In-Ear Headphones are included in this. Over the past few months, it's taking more and more presses/pressure to have any of the buttons recognize my effort.

Anybody have any bad experience with Apple's programs like this? I'm hesitant to do the online route, fearing that the Apple rep who gets my headphones won't find the same issues I do. I'd hate to be out $79 when I know I have a problem that's covered by this program. Thoughts?

HiVolt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2008
Toronto, Canada
I get random volume changes on my 3GS with the headphones. And I already had them replaced once because the mic itself failed.

aprilfools

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2004
Southern California
The current generation iPod shuffle is a very bad design. Controlling the iPod through headphones exceeds all levels of design stupidity on Apple's part. It's a good thing you can still find the previous generation shuffles. They are a bit pricy now on eBay, etc.. but you can at least still find them.

Their was nothing wrong with the old style iPod shuffle. Hopefully Apple will see the error of their ways on this and redesign their iPod shuffle.

ps: just checking, but currently their are plenty of bids on eBay for the older style shuffles. Most of the bids are for much more $$ than what the iPod shuffle cost originally. What does this mean? It means the new shuffles are awful and the people want the older shuffles. Q. Why? A. The new shuffles is a pathetic design. I hope Apple is paying attention. They made a bad choice with the new shuffles.

newuser2310

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2010
I felt a bit silly not realising I'd be stuck with the god awful apple headphones when I bought my new shuffle.

Thankfully belkin came to my rescue:

Now I have decent headphones to match. I barely even notice I've got it half the time. The storage space isn't great but is plenty for my commute.

Bleubird2

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2010
I would have gotten a shuffle had it not been for those silly proprietary headphones but alas I went for the gen5 nano instead and of course I'm very happy with it! Especially with my Bose headphones that haven't failed me in 3 abusive years! ;)
I always heard those headphones were a problem. There is an adapter that allows you to use other headphones though. It does make it a little bigger, but that wouldn't be a big deal. http://www.amazon.com/Scosche-tapSTICK-Polycarbonate-Integrated-Controls/dp/B002CVTU5Q/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1271715344&sr=8-6

Bleubird2

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2010
Not exactly related to the iPod Shuffle earbuds, but:

I owned two iPod earbuds (the normal ones without volume controls and stuff) and each time, precisely a few days after the warranty expired, the rubber around the earbuds just peeled off like clay. I don't dip them in acid and I'm SUPER carful with every expensive technology I own. All I can say is that Apple's earphones are very bad quality and they sound very bad too. Moreover, they are so extremely expensive that I just can't imagine what in the world is so damn expensive with them. For that price you can buy the best earbuds or even better headphones from any other brand. I think Apple shouldn't include earbuds with their iPods, allowing much cheaper iPods and allowing users to choose much better alternatives. Or they should just make better earbuds if they want to stick to that price.
I bought higher quality earbuds for around $5. I added them to my Amazon cart to get free shipping and they were much more comfortable in my ear.

The Final Cut

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2009
What theres restrictions. Typical corporate america. Everyone knows iPod headphones are horrible quality in terms of sound. If you don't,. try a $50 earbud, then get back to me. For apple to puts the devices controls onto a subpar accessory, that is basically disposable (apple is selling theese headsets at a 99% profit and they are typically replaced every 3-6months.) they have destroyed the value and practicality of the iPod shuffle. And the fact that they tried to make light and justify the issue in that legal down-tone, is very appalling.