Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A couple of new reports indicate that Apple has started mobilizing parts for their next generation iPhone. A Commercial Times report claims that Taiwan-based component suppliers have started shipping parts for the new Apple iPhone that is expected to begin shipping in June.

Meanwhile, DigiTimes claims that Apple has already placed orders for 100 million 8 Gigabit NAND Flash chips (mostly) from Samsung Electronics. This large order could tighten worldwide supplies of Flash memory.

While the iPhone was not specifically cited as the reason for the large order, the timing seems to correspond to rumors of a new iPhone refresh this summer.

Article Link: Apple Ordering Components and Flash RAM for New iPhone?

Shookster

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2009
100 million 8 Gigabit NAND Flash chips

Wouldn't an 8 Gigabit chip just be 1 GB? I'm guessing you mean 8 GB but even so, the current iPhone is 16 GB so it seems strange to order 100 million 8 GB chips.

Bonte

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2002
Bruges, Belgium
8 GB would be for the low cost version in China, there will probably be room for 2 chips per device. Can samsung and others produce enough chips for a cheap iPhone, iPods and a new tablet?

Bonte

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2002
Bruges, Belgium
Wouldn't an 8 Gigabit chip just be 1 GB? I'm guessing you mean 8 GB but even so, the current iPhone is 16 GB so it seems strange to order 100 million 8 GB chips.

Digitimes clearly mentions Gb, so maybe its not measured per physical chip but per GB. :confused:

ZunePod

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2009
You do know these these can be assembled in blocks, so they are making 4*8GB which is 32GB. Specifically, these chips are half the physical size of the ones found in the current iPhone 3G. So technically, you could update your iPhone to be 32GB.

Also, 100/4 (because of 4 being in a block) = 25 Million. All the iPhones won't be 32GB so then that narrows the 32GB load to about 8 Million.

icantbelieveit

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2008
You do know these these can be assembled in blocks, so they are making 4*8GB which is 32GB. Specifically, these chips are half the physical size of the ones found in the current iPhone 3G. So technically, you could update your iPhone to be 32GB.

Also, 100/4 (because of 4 being in a block) = 25 Million. All the iPhones won't be 32GB so then that narrows the 32GB load to about 8 Million.

Ah ok, that explains it, thanks :)

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Gb = Gigibit.

So, 100 million 8 Gb chips is enough for 12.5 million 8 GigaByte iPhones.

arn

sjo

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2005

no, it's gigaBIT not gigaBYTE. so for 32GB device you need 32 of 8Gb chips. 100m 8Gb chips would be sufficient for 3.125m 32GB device. which seems an awfully low number. more likely is that there is not going to be a 32GB iphone. they could make a mix of 8GB and 16GB phones, or 8-9m devices which sounds more plausible.

remember that these can be (or are) used in other devices as well, eg, in touch.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
Wow! That's a lot of chips. It really suonds like they're destined for Nanos and Shuffles though - I'm sure they'll be moving toward 16 and 32 in the new iPhone.

Bentov

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2007
8 GB would be for the low cost version in China, there will probably be room for 2 chips per device. Can samsung and others produce enough chips for a cheap iPhone, iPods and a new tablet?

One chip in the phone, two in the touch; that is why the max storage in the touch is always twice as much as the max storage in the phone. So either the leak is wrong, or the Chinese iPhone will only be 8GB, which I can't believe.

On the other hand, Apple may figure that they can't make 32GB phones for the whole world, so China only gets 8GB phones .

*Edit* I will have to research this more, I didn't get the whole, apple orders them and then they are put together the size they want from the other post*

winmacguy

macrumors 68020
Nov 8, 2003
New Zealand
8 gigabit or Gigabyte? That's an important distinction.

But 100 million... wow! That's a lot.

Apple's NAND RAM requirements account for about 30% of total global production of NAND RAM so yes that would be alot. It is actually a big enough order to effect the global pricing of NAND RAM buy about 10%.

ZunePod

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2009
no, it's gigaBIT not gigaBYTE. so for 32GB device you need 32 of 8Gb chips. 100m 8Gb chips would be sufficient for 3.125m 32GB device. which seems an awfully low number. more likely is that there is not going to be a 32GB iphone. they could make a mix of 8GB and 16GB phones, or 8-9m devices which sounds more plausible.

remember that these can be (or are) used in other devices as well, eg, in touch.

In the Digitimes post it says 8Gb, this easily be a typo, seen as 3.125M 32GB iPhones isn't really sufficient.

Plus Samsung don't even offer 8 GigaBIT NAND chips, they only offer 8GigaBYTE NAND chips.

This was last time I checked.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
Lots of Flash.

No matter how you slice it a hundred million of anything is a lot. Of course the accuracy of the reports is questionable, especially when the industry has moved to 128 Mb flash and beyond.

Apple would be lucky to move ten million of them in the near future on an iPhone. I suspect that much of the activity being reported on is for a new class of device. If the device is large enough they might be able to save a few dollars by implementing lower density devices spread over a motherboard. The problem is such an arraingement won't fatten on board storage the way people want.

Dave

sjo

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2005
In the Digitimes post it says 8Gb, this easily be a typo, seen as 3.125M 32GB iPhones isn't really sufficient.

Plus Samsung don't even offer 8 GigaBIT NAND chips, they only offer 8GigaBYTE NAND chips.

This was last time I checked.

yes they do, samsung semiconductor nand products:

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/productList.do?fmly_id=158
http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/productList.do?fmly_id=159
http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/productList.do?fmly_id=672

and it is customary to quote the chip sizes in BITs, so most likely not a typo.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
Cringe, you should be appalled.

Allow me to be the first to officially cringe at the use of the term "Flash RAM" in the article title.
Easyly the worst post in the thread as there simply is no such thing. It is not like the difference between GB & Gb which even the manufactures tend to confuse. Generaly Flash is marketed by the bit, thus if you want 16GBof flash storage you need a 128Gb device.

Dave

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.