Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple in November settled a long-running lawsuit over employee bag checks, with the Cupertino company agreeing to pay $29.9 million to employees who were subjected to off-the-clock bag searches, and now details about the settlement are available on Apple's website.

apple-employees-trio.jpg

California employees first sued Apple in 2013, and in 2015, the case escalated into a class action lawsuit. Employees claimed that Apple subjected them to mandatory bag checks that were "embarrassing and demeaning," with those checks conducted after the end of a shift, causing employees to stay at work an extra 10 to 15 minutes.

Apple said that its bag searches ensured that employees were not hiding stolen electronics in their personal belongings. Apple claimed that employees who did not want to be subjected to bag searches could simply avoid bringing a bag to work, but this argument ultimately did not work for Apple and in 2020, the U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals said that Apple needed to pay the employees for the time they had spent in bag searches.

Apple and lawyers for the Apple employees in California reached a settlement last year and in November, asked a judge to approve it. Apple has agreed to pay nearly $30 million, and the more than 14,000 workers involved in the lawsuit will receive payments based on the individual shifts worked. Current and former employees will be receiving emails and letters from Apple with specific information about their potential payment amount.

Details about the Apple Bag Check Class Action Settlement can be found on Apple's legal website, with documents available for California employees subjected to bag checks between July 25, 2009 and August 10, 2015.

The bag search policy has been long discontinued and Apple has not conducted bag searches since 2015. The Final Approval Hearing for the settlement will take place on July 7, 2022.

Article Link: Apple Outlines $30M Bag Check Lawsuit Settlement on Legal Website

• Haha
Reactions: true god

LonestarOne

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2019
McKinney, TX
Good. People should be compensated for their time.

Good. Pay me for the time I’ve wasted with TSA.

Funny how some people will whine and cry about the “evil” corporations but ignore what government does every day.

Apple employees always have the option of switching employers. It’s not that easy to switch governments.

CthuluLemon

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2020
If you don’t trust your employees it is your fault, modify your hiring process or train your hiring managers better so you get employees you can trust; Apple is a company with the clout to draw top talent, even in retail. It’s a bad policy that demeans employees and steals from them, it should have never been implemented and the consequences are justified.

4jasontv

macrumors 603
Jul 31, 2011

Funny how some people will whine and cry about the “evil” corporations but ignore what government does every day.

Apple employees always have the option of switching employers. It’s not that easy to switch governments.
Heck, why are they even paying them for the time they just spend hanging out and chatting with customers? They should only get paid for tasks that Apple retroactively feels are directly related to their job.

JPack

macrumors G3
Mar 27, 2017
Apple's argument was, don't bring a bag or iPhone to work? What year is this?

Looks like Apple lawyers seriously thought that argument would work, up until a female California Supreme Court judge ruled in favor of the retail employees.

Fabercon

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2020
Let see... lawyers get 50%.

15m payout to employees. Assuming employees were kept 10 mins each search and that they worked 4 days per week during this period (416 searches per employee over two years)...

$2.57 backpay per instance, or about $15.45 per hour prorated with 10 min for the paid search.

In my opinion this is barely minimum required and the settlement should have been higher.

applicious84

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2020

So, there have been plenty of suits, rightfully, brought against the TSA. Second, TSA is not worried that you're going to steal the little travel bags that airlines give to customers

jeffkoontz

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2017
USA
I guess I don't understand why a company like Apple didnt immediately do the right thing here and pay employees for the extra 15 minutes. Why fight it to an appeals court? They had to realize the remedy of employees not bringing a bag is unworkable - especially for people with prescriptions, other necessities, etc. Seems like a PR debacle.

LonestarOne

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2019
McKinney, TX
So, there have been plenty of suits, rightfully, brought against the TSA. Second, TSA is not worried that you're going to steal the little travel bags that airlines give to customers

True. Apple has legitimate security concerns. TSA, on the other hand, spends $7 billion a year and has never caught a single terrorist.

And I never got a class-action suit from TSA, either.

winxmac

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2021
I'm just here to ask for the name of the lady on the picture...

But on a serious note, the time allotted for bag inspection should be counted for their work hours or they should have been paid additionally since they are extending their stay just to have their bags inspected...

LonestarOne

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2019
McKinney, TX
I don’t. You want to search my bag, fine, but do it on company time, not mine. My shift ends, I go home.
Then leave your bag at home. Or in the trunk of your car. You don’t need it while you’re at work.

If you walk into a store, visit an amusement park, or attend a concert, you’re likely going to be asked to submit to a bag check. On your time. You don’t like it? You want to go home? Fine. You aren’t indispensable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.