Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JackANSI

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
Wait, let me understand this...
If I upgrade my iPhone 6 to iOS 9 using the OTA update and it fails, then I am supposed to plug it into my Mac Pro 1,1 and restore the iPhone using iTunes 11.4 with my last backup.
No wait, my iTunes 11.4 doesn't recognize iOS 9 nor my iPhone 6 anymore but says that I need to purchase a new computer running 10.8 or higher in order to restore my iPhone to correct the problem that Apple created.
Hummm, I wonder if I can force Apple to give me a new computer because of their mistake?

Would be nice to run that one on them... but they will just tell you to: a. get bent. b. take it to the Apple Store. ;)

Reactions: JosephAW

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
iOS 9 has been a pretty bad release so far quite honestly.

So much lag and instability on many devices. 4s, 5s, 6, 6 Plus, and some iPads. So much that I had to downgrade to 8.4.1. Sure, it's just a ".0" release for now, but it gives a terrible first impression considering iOS 9 is supposed to improve the experience of iOS 8. Not even close. The only improvement I saw was the battery life.

I hope Apple makes some drastic improvements with iOS 9.1.
iOS 9.0 even carries beta bugs into this formal software, I guess.

I end up testing iOS 9.1 rather than using iOS 9.0, because, "news" app is even still not available for Australian users.

Dominicanyor

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2012
Florida
I'm just having issues with my notes where im not able to use it. When I updated my kids iPhone on the note app it shows the + sign to use the upgrades. But on my iPhone 6 it's not showing the + to switch from the new tools on mine!!

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
Fix does not work for me. Brand new ipad and cannot make backup because - your ipad mini 4 is not set-up. Tried to use my old ipad mini as the backup and all busted up. Bad job APPLE!

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
My wife 5c was stuck on that screen, very frustrating, no matter what I did it would become non responsive when I got that screen after multiple hard resets since my phone wasn't set up. I ended up taking it to the Apple Store today and they cleared it in 5mins.
To everyone having this issue just save yourself the hassle and make an appointment with apple (if you have one close). I was in and out on my lunch break.

I think I'll wait to update my 6+ when 9.1 come out.

Reactions: orbital~debris

wellwaterdesign

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2015
Seattle, WA.
People amaze me I have updated 6 iPhones from 4s to 6 Plus and 4 iPad and iPad mini's and not and issue I bet all the people that have an issue there phone's are a mess from not updated apps to crazy apps not signed into things things turned off, I have seen it since the release I have helped people that don't update apps and there are no backups and then they just update the firmware and think there will be no issue when they don't do any regular Maintenance , then it's Apple fault. I bet they had a lot of issues before the upgrade but now we have something to blame it on, grow up and take care of your **** and stop blaming everyone else
Certainly not my case at all. We have 3 people in our office with 9 devices total and the devices are maintained meticulously. Every single device we updated is now basically useless. We're in the process of downgrading everything to 8.4.1. As I type I'm on the phone with Apple support and the lady I'm speaking to told me she has taken countless calls today on this issue and that the "senior technicians" may have a solution tomorrow (Saturday) afternoon. They took my phone number and are giving me a follow-up call. Let's hope this is the case as this is certainly a horrible introduction to iOS9.

dusktildawn

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2011
People amaze me I have updated 6 iPhones from 4s to 6 Plus and 4 iPad and iPad mini's and not and issue I bet all the people that have an issue there phone's are a mess from not updated apps to crazy apps not signed into things things turned off, I have seen it since the release I have helped people that don't update apps and there are no backups and then they just update the firmware and think there will be no issue when they don't do any regular Maintenance , then it's Apple fault. I bet they had a lot of issues before the upgrade but now we have something to blame it on, grow up and take care of your **** and stop blaming everyone else

Clearly you're a far superior human being that you're able to accomplish such feats of Apple upgrade greatness.

When are you expecting Apple's spaceship to whisk you away because you're way too good for earth?

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
Ok if you are having this issue do this: this is what Apple Genius Bar did to fix my no responsive screen.

1. Force it in to recovery mode. This is the last of the last resorts before you contact Apple for help. Turn your phone off and leave it for about 20 seconds before connecting it to a computer via USB while holding down the Home button .
Make sure you were holding it down when you connected it. When the Connect to iTunes Screen pops up release the Home button. Then use iTunes to restore your device. This will wipe the iPhone clean, but hopefully you’ve backed it up and can restore it through iTunes.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Ok if you are having this issue do this: this is what Apple Genius Bar did to fix my no responsive screen.

1. Force it in to recovery mode. This is the last of the last resorts before you contact Apple for help. Turn your phone off and leave it for about 20 seconds before connecting it to a computer via USB while holding down the Home button .
Make sure you were holding it down when you connected it. When the Connect to iTunes Screen pops up release the Home button. Then use iTunes to restore your device. This will wipe the iPhone clean, but hopefully you’ve backed it up and can restore it through iTunes.
Yup, that's basically the recovery mode.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I would say I am lucky because I upgrade iOS 9.0 through iTunes, not over the air. (Basically because I run iOS 9.1 beta before upgrading to iOS 9.0)
I don't have this issue. However, I would need to upgrade iOS through iTunes every time I want to upgrade, cause other than updating beta, something would happen when making over the air update. Ok. This is originally my guess. But from those reports, I believe this is not the first time, and not the last time seeing such.

Reactions: one more

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
I have used iTunes to upgrade my iPhone 5C. Plugged it in, backed it up, restored it vs upgraded, then put the stuff back from the backup. No issues.

It's probably a good idea to give the devices a clean install (vs over the air) for any major new iOS release, as the system is getting more & more complex. Remember installing Windows, anybody? :) A very different system, yet very similar principles: clean installs & putting the stuff back from a backup always worked better.

usarioclave

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Certainly not my case at all. We have 3 people in our office with 9 devices total and the devices are maintained meticulously. Every single device we updated is now basically useless..

Interesting. That you're all in the same general location leads me to believe it's a problem with the CDN, but if there was some kind of corruption that should have shown up during signature validation - unless the reason you can't slide-to-unlock is because the signature validation failed and the code can't handle that failure at that point in time.

That should be relatively easy to eliminate with enough data points.

kotasz

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2015
frankly, I should haver never ever tried to update. apple, you ruined my ipad. you are not any better than windows, you became the same pathetic loser company. let's clarify sth: it is not my task to waste my time trying to fix this apple ****, I am a user, not a technician, and I am not even interested in researching for hours to get a solution. You know what? ........ (imagine all kinds of swearwords) Thank you for this white screen that I cannot get rid of.

iphone6-ios-setup-hello-250x395.jpg
Apple has published a new support document on its website that outlines a fix for users experiencing an unresponsive "Slide to Upgrade" screen after updating to iOS 9 (via iPhoneHacks).

The issue has affected a growing number of users on the Apple Support Communities, MacRumors discussion forum and social media.

Apple recommends restoring your device from an iTunes backup to resolve the problem.Apple released iOS 9 on Wednesday for iPhone 4s or later, iPad 2 or later and the fifth-generation iPod touch or later.

Article Link: Apple Outlines Fix for Unresponsive 'Slide to Upgrade' Screen on iOS 9

vmistery

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2010
UK
Why is that? They all use the same hardware?
There are various sub model's (for example the at&t version of the 6S is different to the sim free one).Also people will have different apps installed and be coming from slightly different configurations and previous iOS version. They have a much easier job than say Samsung but not entirely straight forward.

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
All 8 of our devices were updated at home with no issues. 4 iPhones and 4 iPads. Had another 20 or so iPhones updated at the office through the week. All done OTA.

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
Wait, let me understand this...
If I upgrade my iPhone 6 to iOS 9 using the OTA update and it fails, then I am supposed to plug it into my Mac Pro 1,1 and restore the iPhone using iTunes 11.4 with my last backup.
No wait, my iTunes 11.4 doesn't recognize iOS 9 nor my iPhone 6 anymore but says that I need to purchase a new computer running 10.8 or higher in order to restore my iPhone to correct the problem that Apple created.
Hummm, I wonder if I can force Apple to give me a new computer because of their mistake?

Thought iTunes 12 was available for is x 10.7.5? Ah, just checked, looks like 12.3 dropped support for Lion.

canesalato

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2010
It seems to me that the public beta program hasn't proven to be very successful.

Well, i've reported 6 bugs, with detailed steps to reproduce them and screenshots. Got 0 responses. Only one was fixed. -.-
Makes one wonder if they read bug reports at all

kotasz

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2015

You amaze me too my friend.I have a perfectly working iPad, then I press on the update button. And it turns my iPad into a brick. Yes, according to you, it is my fault.
And yes, I have a backup. It just won't start when I restore. Sorry, it is my fault. I am a user, not a technician. This is not my task.

Reactions: Gillybede
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.