Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
I have the original rMBP 15" and I've never had an issue with the keyboard. But, I did have the entire top replaced, so I did essentially get a new keyboard last year. But I have no problems.

I tried typing on a Toshiba with flat, glossy plastic keys. Wow.

The Retina MacBook Pro keyboards feel perfect. We're discussing the MacBook keyboard in this thread, not the Retina MacBook Pros.

Reactions: Jamalien

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Oh damn, the secret is out. I am testing one of those new keyboards, the prototype is below...

ZX81.jpg

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Hey great. Thinner Laptops with less robust graphics (R.I.P. discrete cards?) and fewer ports. Yea!

This. So basically it's a Mac, and not much more. I kinda feel like people have been paying more and getting less from Apple for a little while now... I will use my 2012 rMBP until the thing refuses to work. And even then, I'll pay money to have it repaired. I fear I can't get this type of quality from Apple anymore.

Ports? Who needs ports? Every port I need is here lightening (2) usb 3 (2), HDMI, SD, MAGSAFE... And what a beast it still is.

Reactions: melendezest

ProjectManager101

Suspended
Jul 12, 2015
Thinner macs is a distraction for lack of innovation. No one is asking for thinner anything, it is like "the only thing they can come up with" until someone have an actual idea at Apple. But being familiarize with the corporate structure I bet there are a good amount of "Steve Jobs" who are being stepped on. As a matter of fact... was not Steve Jobs fired from Apple himself?

After the failure the Apple Watch is (a bad developed idea), Apple is doing just like Hollywood is doing with movies, play safe and do re runs instead of coming up with new ideas.

kemal

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2001
Nebraska
No no No NONONOOOOOOOOO!

Thicker laptops with EPDM overloaded rubber edges. Bigger batteries. Better cooling. NO ADHESIVE! NONE WHATSOEVER!

Wake up.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

pbush25

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
In my opinion I don't see this as a way to just make Macs thinner but I see it as more of a good innovation in keyboards. Just because they have this kind of keyboard doesn't mean they have to reduce the size of the computer (although for some models in sure they will) but what it will mean is a completely new typing experience that probably will change computing moving forward. People cry that apple lacks innovation but this is one of the more innovative patents they've been granted in a long time.

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
I'm skeptical about a keyboard with no real travel, but having used 3D touch and felt the haptic feedback associated with it... I'll try one out before I pass judgement. It won't be an easy thing, but there's a chance they could make this work.

Reactions: bobob

Grahamps

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I like the MacBook keyboard. I haven't purchased one, but there's an Apple store near me and I've dorked around on the various keyboards in the store. To me, the new MacBook feels fast and solid.

For me, the new wireless Apple keyboard would have been more compelling if it was the MacBook key tech. Having played with the new Magic Keyboard, I'm just as happy with the look and feel of my previous gen wireless Apple keyboard. I don't notice a tremendous improvement in experience over my keyboard, whereas the MacBook keyboard is remarkably different from anything I've used.

What I keep asking myself, when I read all of the negative comments about the MacBook keyboard, is "Who said we'd already achieved perfection?" I mean, what makes the chiclet the ideal? It seems to me that keyboards are an area that has experienced continuous development since the creation of the typewriter. I welcome the advances, and appreciate the new MacBook keyboard, and am left feeling inspired to improve my typing to take advantage of these advances in keyboard tech (I'm on a keyboard all day, but am just an average typist).

Reactions: Gudi and bobob

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
In my opinion I don't see this as a way to just make Macs thinner but I see it as more of a good innovation in keyboards. Just because they have this kind of keyboard doesn't mean they have to reduce the size of the computer (although for some models in sure they will) but what it will mean is a completely new typing experience that probably will change computing moving forward. People cry that apple lacks innovation but this is one of the more innovative patents they've been granted in a long time.

Absolutely! And it will likely enable new classes of devices that many here would never dream of. While other computer companies are fine with the status quo regarding keyboards, trackpads, staid manufacturing, batteries, etc, Apple is thinking and innovating outside the box. And that will have huge payoffs going forward.

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
Why not an OS X tablet with a keyboard that can be added or detached?

Oh... "no one wants that", right-right, got it.
Well, I wouldn't want it as it stands. Make it so it switches to an iOS interface (or other similarly touch-designed interface) when I detach the keyboard, however, and I would buy this so fast I'd probably strain something.

just.in.time

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2010
Arizona, USA
If they decide to pursue this, I'll be excited to test it out. Their newest trackpads are pretty amazing when it comes to making a clicking sensation without the trackpad actually moving.

Zirel

Suspended
Jul 24, 2015
A thinner iMac? FINALLY.

It's the one thing that's been holding me off replacing my 2008 iMac with optical drive. I just hope it's a lot lighter, too. That's the other thing that bugs me, whenever I have to carry it around. /s

facepalm

Reactions: Gudi

Lexdexia

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2015
I think this is a great idea and I'll definitely enjoy using this kind of keyboard. Why? Because I just hate it when particles and debris from day-to-day usage gets into the keyboard gaps of my MacBook Pro. When the keyboard backlight comes on I could see all the dirty stuff that got into there and it's just an unnecessary hassle for me to clean it out. Also, a 'force touch' keyboard could be virtually gap-less, designing it to be seamless with the laptop's chassis could potentially spill-proof the laptop.

Remember how the Force Touch trackpad opened up new ways of interaction with deeper clicks and pressure sensitivity? Now imagine what they could make with a Force Touch keyboard.

As for key travel, well...I don't mind low key travel since I hated the obnoxiously noisy mechanical keyboards I used back in the days. I'm guessing the tactile feeling of these Force Touch keys would be very similar to how a current Force Touch trackpad feels when you press on it.

I can see why some people would hate this new kind of keyboard, but then again people probably got mad at Apple for abandoning the archaic CD drives.

Maybe they could do a '3D Touch' keyboard and bring a version of iOS's QuickType to OS X (deeper press fills the word?)

As some of you may disagree, I would love thinner and lighter MacBooks. Under the condition they're still powerful enough for pro work.

Last edited:

JackANSI

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
This is the right way to make things thinner... Using a smaller capacity battery is the wrong way.

As much as I hate how underpowered, overpriced, and the lack of any thought put into connectivity options on the nMB. The keyboard is one thing I actually like. I didn't think I would, but I do. It's just not enough of a reason to stop calling it a complete failure.

gaximus

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Oh Apple, I don't even know what to say anymore...

Green computing my ass, when all yourproducts are so hard to repair without forking over the serious dough for your out-of-warranty repairs, which is silly, because I am skilled, but I also know that adhesives are just a PITA.

Green my ass...

Green has nothing to do with how easy it is to repair, two separate issues. Spending lots of money to fix something makes it no less green.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nunyabinez and WWPD

GQB

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007
The Macbook keyboard feels awful (and I'm sure I'll get some heat for saying so on here) so I hope this new patent if it gets used by Apple results in a better typing experience when dealing with such a thin keyboard structure.

EDIT:// Just to stop any confusion from people replying to me, I am referring to only the 12" Retina MacBook keyboard and not the Airs or Pro notebooks which have perfectly fine keyboards in my opinion.

Just add 'to me', and there's no reason for heat. :)
Personally, I find the new MacBook keyboard just fine, and I'm a 100 WPM typist.
Frankly, the better a typist you are, the less the keyboard matters after a few minutes of adjustment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.