Apple Pay Cash Coming in Future Update to iOS 11 and watchOS 4

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 18, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today confirmed that Apple Pay Cash will be released as part of a future update to iOS 11 and watchOS 4.

[​IMG]
    Apple added a "Coming This Fall" label to Apple Pay Cash on its website recently, so it was already likely the new feature won't be available on iOS 11 launch day tomorrow, and now we know for certain.

Apple Pay Cash is a new peer-to-peer payment service that enables iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch users to send and receive money.

When the feature launches, users will launch the Messages app, tap on the App Store icon, select Apple Pay from the app drawer, set the dollar amount, tap pay, select a payment card, and securely authenticate with Touch ID or Face ID.

The payment card can be any debit or credit card linked to Apple Pay in the Wallet app, or the Apple Pay Cash card.

The recipient taps on the message to receive the funds, which are instantly added to the Apple Pay Cash card in the Wallet app. The card's funds can be used to make purchases using Apple Pay, or withdrawn to a bank account.

Apple Pay Cash will be free to use with the Apple Pay Cash card and debit cards, but it will have an industry standard three percent fee for credit card transactions to cover processing costs, according to Recode.

Apple Pay Cash will only be available in the United States at launch. Apple has yet to share details about a wider rollout.

Article Link: Apple Pay Cash Coming in Future Update to iOS 11 and watchOS 4

2. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Hopefully it actually comes this Fall.

iMessages in iCloud is still outstanding too.

3. killawat macrumors 65816

$20 dollars for Ramen? Kid must be buying that gourmet stuff.

4. CarlJ, Sep 18, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2017

CarlJ macrumors 68030

CarlJ

Yes, "money for ramen", because mom doesn't respond as well to "money for beer".

5. levitynyc macrumors 65816

6. benface macrumors regular

Is $20 for ramen that expensive? Here in Montreal it's around that, including taxes and tip.

7. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I think this is a fairly convenient way to send money to someone. And the fact the funds are available instantly is more accommodating then actually waiting for the transaction to process if someone needed the money for something more urgent.

8. chetttos macrumors newbie

Well, there is no Apple Pay on my country, so this sucks a little less. :rolleyes:

9. stoopkidblues macrumors 6502

stoopkidblues

Hopefully iCloud iMessages comes with this update too

10. DMaki650 macrumors 6502

DMaki650

LOL "Coming This Fall"...... Which is this friday. I have this feeling that based on the Apple site it's an app in the iMessage app store.

11. adepew macrumors regular

adepew

Is the black message bubble a feature of Apple Pay Cash?

12. nutmac macrumors 68040

Agreed. I didn't run into any issues when I beta tested "Messages in the iCloud" feature and I loved it. Not only does the feature sync messages across devices, it frees up storage space on the device (similar to iCloud Photo Library's optimize storage feature).

I heard the feature is flaky when you have free or low storage plan (I have 2TB plan so I never ran into any issues).

13. dan9700 macrumors 68020

dan9700

Nothing is really all i want is icloud messages but seems everything is coming soon

14. 576316 macrumors 601

Looking forward to this. A far more elegant solution than PayPal or Paym.

15. fairuz macrumors 68000

fairuz

I'll be sending people 1 cent just to make the bubble black.

16. Joe Rossignol Editor

Joe Rossignol

Staff Member

Looks like it. You can send a message with your payment.

17. Ds6778 macrumors 6502a

Ds6778

Good, maybe they can focus on all the bugs in IOS 11. 3D Touch lagg is completely unacceptable.

18. profets macrumors 601

I was curious about how you would get funds into the Apple Pay Cash card. I guess when transferring from a debit card within Apple Pay it'll be free, but if you want to send money or transfer to Apple Pay Cash from a credit card it'll have this fee?

19. fairuz macrumors 68000

fairuz

The thing to compare it to is Venmo, as nobody uses PayPal for these kinds of transactions. Or you can compare to Bitcoin Cash! loljk
    Well, this sucks, unless it's free from a debit card as the above poster was speculating.

20. jgelin macrumors 6502a

jgelin

21. 0003939 Suspended

There seems to be a hint towards an October event now.

22. tardman91 macrumors 65816

tardman91

23. dannys1 macrumors 68020

dannys1

Or "money for drugs"

24. ovo6 macrumors 6502a

25. jaack macrumors member

I hope we don't have to wait too long for this to launch outside of the States.