Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
Apple screwed the pooch with iOS 11. Person to person Apple Pay payments and iMessages backed up to iCloud were the two best features of 11, and both have been delayed. Really frustrating.

HallStevenson

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2012
A few weeks ago, someone debated me over this Apple Pay option in iMessages being part of the initial iOS 11 release. I suggested they were wrong given that it's not in any of the beta builds for widespread testing. Their only response was "but Apple announced it would be" :rolleyes:

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
This will be a nice option, but with the other multi platform apps out there and it being only iOS its a bit of a "they really invested all the dev time and money in this?" question.

In the U.S., the banks just released their own instant cash transfer (no cost) app for iOS and Android: https://www.zellepay.com/

btrach144

macrumors demi-god
Aug 28, 2015
Indiana
What's with announcing features and then delaying them until X.1 or X.2? Apple never used to do that in the past but the last couple of years Apple seems to slip up and miss key features announced at WWDC and ends up having to slip them in months after initial release...

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Does anyone know the transfer limits for this? Could be really useful, and I'm a little disappointed that it's not available at launch because I was planning on using it immediately. I noticed it wasn't in the GM, but wondered if it would pop onto my iPhone once it went live to everyone since it's sort of an iMessage app.

LarrySmith

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2017
iMessage in the cloud and now this. Some major iOS 11 features aren't shipping with it.

HallStevenson

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2012
I understand delaying iCloud messages, that could possibly affect performance and battery in the background.
The initial sync could be troublesome but subsequent ones would be a non-issue unless one has TONS of pictures/images sent to/from their device on a daily basis. Plain text messages use next to no 'power'.

But I don’t get delaying this, it’s basically just another iMessage app.
Probably because it involves people's money, access to their credit cards, and sending money around. Apple can delay this for as long as necessary in order to make sure it's done right and more importantly, securely !

Reactions: agsystems

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2016
I'll keep using my Square Cash, where not only I can use Apple Pay (and directly take out of my bank account with a fingerprint) but I get a physical card

I will ditch Square Cash if I can get a physical Apple Pay Cash card

hell even Target doesn't support Apple Pay (= huge!!!)

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Wow. Ramen inflation must be rampant. I got 6 to 9 packages for $1 when I went to college. $20 would have kept me in noddles for a semester!

RickInHouston

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2014
I was curious about how you would get funds into the Apple Pay Cash card. I guess when transferring from a debit card within Apple Pay it'll be free, but if you want to send money or transfer to Apple Pay Cash from a credit card it'll have this fee?

You made me laugh hard. Is there a fee? Really? You think it's free? Why do you think everyone wants into the payment game?

kingjames1970

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2008
Hampshire, UK
This is one area where I'll be keen to see how Face ID works. What if I'm just looking to make sure I've done it right and then it authenticates? I can't be the only person who has thought you should stick out your tongue to confirm payment? :)

On a related note, used Touch ID for the first time on a website a couple of weeks ago, was simply brilliant - didn't need to fill in any credit card, address/delivery details or create a log in. Just selected something, went to the basket and selected pay by Touch ID (MBP) - done. That's the Apple 'slickness' I love.

BootsWalking

macrumors 68020
Feb 1, 2014
I think this is a fairly convenient way to send money to someone. And the fact the funds are available instantly is more accommodating then actually waiting for the transaction to process if someone needed the money for something more urgent.

Zelle is instantaneous and already supported by all major banks in the USA.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
You made me laugh hard. Is there a fee? Really? You think it's free? Why do you think everyone wants into the payment game?

Glad to see that my statement asking for confirmation made you laugh hard. I guess it's about as comical as your reading comprehension. I never said that I think it's free.

EdT

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2007
Omaha, NE
What is the definition of a credit card? I have a CC that says Visa that I can use as either a debit or credit. It accesses a checking account and it doesn't actually charge anything, I have to have the money in the account.

Since it says Visa would I be charged a fee?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.