Apple Pay Could Account for 10 Percent of Global Card Transactions by 2025 and Even Rival PayPal

George Zip

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2011
Here's hoping so -- I'd love to be able to use it at more places (gas pumps come to mind), not to mention I'm tired of every retailer launching their own service (WalmartPay, KrogerPay, etc.). Just adopt ApplePay (& AndroidPay)(and GooglePay?) and be done with it.

• Love
Reactions: compwiz1202

ghostface147

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2008
I'm almost at pure Apple Pay here in Houston. Just need HEB to get on board. Convenient stores and smaller shops also don't support Apple Pay for some reason. Other than that, I use it a lot. Certainly a lot more than two years ago.

MisterSavage

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2018
I use Apple Pay almost every day and love it. There are still places where I can't believe I can't use it yet. Looking at you specifically Publix.

NickName99

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2018
PayPal will probably continue to own the online used market, due to their buyer protection policy (3% fee). Unfortunately it ends up making sellers vulnerable to fraud, but PayPal has chosen the more profitable policy.

realtuner

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2019
Canada
Apple Pay accounts for 95% of my transactions. Only the rare place that doesn’t yet accept tap, or large purchases over my limit require me to use my card.

chris1958

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2018
Outside of US the market share of Apple is about 15%. So I wonder how the would overtake not only PayPal but also the extremely successful services in Asia, which all do not rely on a special hardware.

compwiz1202

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2010
That’s because the American companies are stupid enough to think they can take on Apple with their payment methods.
They all have to remember that they are 1 chain, and people shop at more than shop.
This is why the likes of Apple Pay and Google Pay will win. It’s why Visa and MasterCard have won, because they are accepted everywhere. Just look at the stick American Express gets because it has a few places where it’s not accepted.
Heck, PayPal has to be bought by eBay to become a big player.
Tesco here in the UK are the same with their payment method, however they aren’t stupid enough to not accept Apple and Google Pay.

Your banks over there stupid aswell. Many of them limit how many card transactions you can make on a debit before either paying for the transactions, or paying for the bank account. This has lead to people getting credit cards where you are not limited on how many transactions you can make.
Those banks are going to be screwed when the fin-tech challengers arrive, or at least going to be caught back peddling.
Exactly, not taking AP is one of the main reason I won't shop somewhere if a competitor does take it. I laugh when they say it makes it more convenient. So having to use a different app at different places is MORE convenient than ONE?! I don't mind Target's because it is just a quick scan, and they at least now offer AP as another choice.
- - Post merged: - -

Here's hoping so -- I'd love to be able to use it at more places (gas pumps come to mind), not to mention I'm tired of every retailer launching their own service (WalmartPay, KrogerPay, etc.). Just adopt ApplePay (& AndroidPay)(and GooglePay?) and be done with it.
Around here Exxon, Wawa, Sheetz take AP now. Usually just use the Exxon App since I get points.

ajfahey

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2001
Moorpark, CA
I use my Apple Card on a daily basis..

Apple continues to add merchants that give 3% cash back - Uber, Walgreens, etc.

If Apple Card continues to be a success then they definitely can get to 10% of all transactions by 2025
I almost never use my Apple Card because it doesn’t support financial aggregation products like Quicken or Mint and I have no plans to start using it for anything more than Apple product purchases before it does.

zinacef

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2018
I just don't see it until the larger chains are added. In the past week I've bought stuff at Walmart, Frys Grocery (Kroger owned), and Home Depot and none of them support Apple Pay. I've also bought stuff from online from Chewy.com (pet supplies) and discounttire.com and neither of them support Apple Pay either.
Not sure if you’re in AZ, but I can confirm that Discount Tire does take Apple Pay. I was in there last December to fix a flat and a broken tire sensor on my wife’s car. When it was time to pay, I saw the symbol and asked the guy if they took Apple Pay, he told me to wait while he fiddled with something on his side, and I used Apple Pay. This was a Discount Tire in the West Valley.

As for your other comments, I shop a lot at Fry’s and wish they would come on board with Apple Pay. I don’t even think anyone uses their Kroger Pay from what I’ve witnessed at the cash registers as folks pay either with cash or with a physical card.

Edit: after rereading your post, I realized you specifically said discounttire.com (my bad).

kirky29

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Lincolnshire, England
Tesco - while they do accept apple pay, for over £30 they require me to fish out my card from its depths!
really? I used Apple Pay for a larger over £30 shop in Tesco the other day!
I did however end up having a mini argument with an Asda checkout person the other week, she refused to press the EFT button telling me it wouldn’t work! I asked her to humour me.... so she did, and it worked! Lol

bn-7bc

macrumors regular
May 30, 2008
Arendal, Norway
Less secure, less customer friendly solutions are offered by insurers to Android based solutions (e.g. Google Pay) while Apple benefits from its inherently higher security. One can almost feel sorry for the Android users.
Not realy (unless they where unable to afford an iphone/apple watch) people naje choices, and have ro live with the results. Ofc if the high price point excloded the, from sppke products andd gence appke oay, yea then I guestion why google gas not made the android side of things easier and more secure

xpxp2002

macrumors regular
May 3, 2016
I wish you didn't need to be in the US to send or receive money from friends.
Apple needs to create a real PayPal competitor, because they su.. a...
They already have. iMessage lets you send money to/from friends using Apple Pay Cash.

Zaft

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Here in the states a lot more stores are accepting contactless but it pales in comparison to Europe. When I travel to Russia almost every store has a terminal.

Even restaurants bring a portable terminal to you and don’t take your card to who knows where.

Reactions: lartola

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Apple Pay is awesome. I love how you don't need to provide a PIN even when spending more than the Contactless limit, because the biometric authentication takes care of that without you even noticing. And it displays the amount you spent in your phone, which is cool because it's too easy to totally forget or ignore how much you paid just a minute ago when you're not using cash.

iGeek2019

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2019
United Kingdom
really? I used Apple Pay for a larger over £30 shop in Tesco the other day!
I did however end up having a mini argument with an Asda checkout person the other week, she refused to press the EFT button telling me it wouldn’t work! I asked her to humour me.... so she did, and it worked! Lol
Tesco are trialling higher value payments e.g. Apple Pay with a view to a national roll out later on in the spring but it’s not in all stores yet; I work for them and it’s not live in our store yet.

My local Asda, which I seldomly frequent, had signs saying Apple/Google Pay was capped at £30 the other week on their self service tills so it’s either a selected number of stores *or* the signage was out dated?

Cyloncat

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2012
NC, USA
I've never run into a "maximum" where you must pay with card instead of Apple Pay. I've bought computers over $2000 with Apple Pay and my watch.... at the Microsoft Store! Locally (US, North Carolina) restaurants are the main holdout, as well as some small merchants. Most grocery stores take AP now, and Target finally caved in and accepted AP.

johnnygee

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2013
Earth
Apple needs to convince Kroger's, Lowe's, Macy's to accept Apple Pay. A local grocer accepts Apple Pay, but not Kroger's.