Apple Pay Debuts in Norway With Nordea and Santander

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 19, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Just a day after launching in Poland, Apple Pay has debuted in Norway, bringing the total number of supported countries and regions to 24 by our count. Apple has updated its list of participating banks to note that Nordea and Santander Consumer Finance are currently supported in Norway.

[​IMG]

Apple CEO Tim Cook announced on Apple's earnings conference call last month that Apple Pay would be launching in Ukraine, Poland, and Norway in the near future, and with the addition of Norway today those promises have been fulfilled. Apple Pay launched in Ukraine just over a month ago.

(Thanks, TrulsZK!)

Article Link: Apple Pay Debuts in Norway With Nordea and Santander

2. MaximTV macrumors 6502a

MaximTV

Apple Pay launch in Germany tomorrow? Nope, of course not!

It'll most likely never launch here..

3. Merkie macrumors 68020

Perhaps this is because Apple only wants to enroll ancient creditcards instead of debitcards?

4. TrulsZK macrumors newbie

5. Lioness~ macrumors 6502a

Lioness~

Have launched in Sweden, sure, but really not. One bank, or less, not supporting mine or my cards. So pretty useless.

6. Pupi macrumors regular

Pupi

I use a debit card from Nordea Bank with Apple Pay in Finland.

Same card that is pictured in this article/thread, in fact.

7. Benjamid macrumors member

Benjamid

One of the reasons I moved from Germany to Norway:) besides better pay, more attractive population, more epic landscape, wide support for electric mobility (tons of Teslas over here:).
    Finally we have Apple Pay while under the shadow in Germany shops still struggle with credit card support. But you can comfort yourself with cheap alcohol... Great country.

8. Merkie macrumors 68020

Then it's a mystery to me why countries like Germany are left out of the picture. Roll-out is dictated by Apple and not the banks.

9. Sankel macrumors member

Sankel

Not to be rude or anything, but the Apple Pay rollout in Europe has been very bad and slow as heck.

10. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

As I said yesterday in the other thread, you can blame the banks.

11. foobarbaz macrumors 6502

Not all debit cards use the same technology.
    A regular Visa card can be credit or debit card. But there's also V-Pay and Maestro. And German banks push their own system (which consequently is the most common in Germany) called Girocard (or specifically Girogo for contactless)

iOS only supports EMV credit cards (even if they really are debit cards). iOS 12 will add support for V-Pay, Maestro and Visa Electron.

Support for Girocard is rumored to be a negotiating point between Apple and the Banks, as are distribution of fees.

12. twinlight macrumors 6502

twinlight

Updated my Nordea app two hours ago and saw that Apple Pay was added. Immediately enrolled my debit card. I have waited for this day for 4 years! I might have to go shopping.

13. NBAasDOGG macrumors regular

NBAasDOGG

You lucky bastard :D

14. actcyclist macrumors regular

actcyclist

I found Germany had the lowest acceptance of credit cards for small purchases of any country I've been to since India. However, most of everything else like transport was years ahead of what I've got in Australia. Can't have everything I suppose.

15. Nuvi macrumors 6502a

Nope, I have both debit and credit card on ApplePay. 99% of my purchases are made on debit. I have to say ApplePay works great in Nordic countries. We have contactless everywhere and every single place accepts ApplePay. I don’t use regular cards anymore.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 20, 2018 ---
    Sure you can! Nordic countries have everything better. ;)

16. votdfak macrumors regular

votdfak

If you want Apple Pay that bad (fans from Germany), you can always use boon. (little bit of sacrifice needed, but it's worth it).

17. vegardhw macrumors newbie

vegardhw

Hehe, that sums it up ...

18. silvetti macrumors 6502a

silvetti

Not sure if you are right on that, as far as I remember banks were mostly resisting to this because of the middle man fee Apple takes.

19. Aslevik macrumors newbie

Aslevik

Hell yes! And sbanken also! (though not right now)

20. Rafa_uk macrumors newbie

They seem more interested in becoming a financial company than a computers company.

Apple pay everywhere but when new macs and MacBooks?

21. TrulsZK macrumors newbie

Just closing my Boon. account, Have been using boon. here in Norway since it has been available.
    There a more sacrifices of using boon. in Norway than Germany. Namely international payments and using Euros (instead of Norwegian Krone) including transfer fees both ways, still worth it.

Also all my payments have been made to an account in Germany so using boon. in Germany has no sacrifices, other than opening another bank account.

22. roanmy macrumors member

Yay! However, I have Danske Bank, and given that they don't support it in Denmark or Sweden yet, I doubt I'll be able to use Apple pay any time soon. :/

23. Mike MA macrumors 68000

Mike MA

Honestly, I know no shop not accepting a credit card.

24. Benjamid macrumors member

Benjamid

Jepp, moved from Germany to Norway. Alcohol is expensive and no Amazon, rest is lovely!

25. truthertech macrumors 65816

No, you have it exactly backwards. Apple would roll it out to every country overnight if that is all it took. LOL. it takes first and foremost getting sufficient portions of the banking system signed on. Apple can't force them to. Banks are giving up a tiny portion of their fees, generally about 15 cents on a 100 dollar purchase, but some fear losing any money and most importantly their "monopoly" control. That's what happened, for example, in Australia, where the 3 biggest banks are still fighting it, while one major bank and many small ones signed up to make Apple Pay possible there.