Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is working closely with London's transport network (TfL) to enable Apple Pay Express Transit, a feature which allows riders to pay their fare without needing to wake or unlock their device, or authenticate with Face ID, Touch ID, or a passcode.

apple-pay-london-underground.jpg
Image credit: TfL

"We are having positive discussions with Apple about enabling express transit on Apple devices on the TfL network," a TfL spokesperson said in a statement given to The Verge. "More information about timing and plans will be available at a future date."

TfL's Twitter account also noted that the company is "working closely with Apple to allow the benefits of this update to be introduced on London’s transport network in the coming months."

Users of London's transport network can already use Apple Pay for ride purchases at Oyster terminals and gates, but they must first authenticate with Face ID, Touch ID, or passcode. Express Transit would change all that with its tap-and-go system, speeding up entry into subway and train stations in the process.

Apple Pay's Express Transit mode can be used on iPhone SE, iPhone 6s, or iPhone 6s Plus or later, and Apple Watch Series 1 and 2 or later. Owners of iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR can also use Express Transit in power reserve mode, which is available for up to five hours when an iPhone needs to be charged.

Apple introduced Express Transit in iOS 12.3, which was released earlier this month. London would join a handful of cities with transit systems that support the express Apple Pay feature, including Beijing, Shanghai, Portland, and New York City (from Friday). Express Transit also works for Suica cards in Japan.

Article Link: Apple Pay Express Transit Coming to London 'in the Coming Months'

Last edited:

karnsculpture

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2006
London, UK
While this is good, I really am used to using face ID now and just quickly instigate it in the few steps before the barrier. As the thing stays on for about a minute there's been no issues during bottlenecks at the barriers so far.

Reactions: Reason077

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
The TFL contactless readers are the only ones where I feel my iPhone doesn't work as well as a regular contactless card or Lobster card. For every other payment reader e.g. in stores, the range of the iPhone Apple Pay stuff feels better and more reliable than using a contactless bank card but the opposite seems to be true for TFL card readers and I end up feeling like a lemon holding people up for a few seconds as I try to get it to read a couple of times. It's been this way for every iPhone I've had.

Reactions: Shanghaichica

Munstie

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2019
That’s strange? I seem to already have it enabled on my XR.

Attachments

• BD731751-9F60-417F-9005-68C61CD2AB50.jpeg
    BD731751-9F60-417F-9005-68C61CD2AB50.jpeg
    154.2 KB · Views: 644

danmart

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2015
Lancs, UK
I see that option available in my device, too. Maybe try it next time you are there and there isn’t a queue?

Bear in mind this may need to be enabled on both sides (phone and TfL) before it works...

inkhorn

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2009
Lines of people all taking out and re-pocketing ~£1000 iPhones to walk through a bustling 'pinch' point.

Yeah, I can't see a problem with that... :/

Bin Cook

Suspended
Jun 16, 2018
The TFL contactless readers are the only ones where I feel my iPhone doesn't work as well as a regular contactless card or Lobster card. For every other payment reader e.g. in stores, the range of the iPhone Apple Pay stuff feels better and more reliable than using a contactless bank card but the opposite seems to be true for TFL card readers and I end up feeling like a lemon holding people up for a few seconds as I try to get it to read a couple of times. It's been this way for every iPhone I've had.

Same here. Been using the Tube a lot more recently and it is a total crapshoot whether the Oyster reader will recognise my Apple Watch or not. Don't have that issue in shops, with parking machines or even the odd trip on the semi rural bus in Surrey. As soon as the yellow Oyster reader comes into view, the Watch is useless.

So methinks it is TFL/Network Rail, not anything inherently wrong with the Apple Watch.

Reactions: Shanghaichica

Dino F

Suspended
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK
Same here. Been using the Tube a lot more recently and it is a total crapshoot whether the Oyster reader will recognise my Apple Watch or not. Don't have that issue in shops, with parking machines or even the odd trip on the semi rural bus in Surrey. As soon as the yellow Oyster reader comes into view, the Watch is useless.

So methinks it is TFL/Network Rail, not anything inherently wrong with the Apple Watch.

....have to agree - the TFL Oyster readers are a little hit and miss. I have to actually physically touch my S4 Apple Watch onto the reader before it gets scanned. It should at least be able to read it in close proximity without the need for a physical touch....

Gorms

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2012
UK
Oh excellent. This almost certainly means NFC writing is coming in iOS13

inkhorn

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2009
What is the issue you see here? People commonly walk with their phones in their hands. It's no more difficult to take your phone out than it is to take out a "dumb" card.

Just a play on words between the British English verb 'to pinch' ('to steal'), and the noun 'pinch point' (area of congestion). Pick pocketing is commonplace in many London tube stations.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
Great. This will be SO much more convenient and reduce the frequent bottlenecks

Yes, it's great news!

But then again, I only ever use Apple Pay on TfL these days, and I'd hardly call it a bottleneck. Pre-authenticating Apple Pay with Face ID as you approach the gates / bus takes about a second and certainly beats fumbling around for a paper ticket or even an Oyster Card.

But Express Transit, of course, will make it even more convenient yet.

Reactions: MisterSavage
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.