Apple Pay Gains Support for BJ's Wholesale Club Credit Cards and 66 New U.S. Issuers

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 15, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Apple updated its Apple Pay participating issuers list today with support for BJ's Wholesale Club store cards, including the BJ's Perks Plus and Elite MasterCards, and 66 additional banks, credit unions and financial institutions in the United States.

Apple Pay is now accepted at over 850 participating issuers nationwide, and several more plan to support the NFC-based mobile payment service in the future. The newly added Apple Pay participating issuers are reflected below, but some issuers may have rolled out support earlier than today and only being reflected on Apple's website now.

The full list of new Apple Pay participating issuers:
    American Community Bank of Indiana
    American United Federal Credit Union
    Anheuser-Busch Employees' Credit Union
    Aspire Federal Credit Union
    Bank of Colorado
    Bank of Montgomery
    Catholic Federal Credit Union
    Cedar Rapids Bank and Trust
    CFCU Community Credit Union
    ChoiceOne Bank
    Community Bank of Mississippi
    Community Bank, Coast
    Community Bank, Ellisville
    Community Bank, North MS
    Credit One Bank
    D.L. Evans Bank
    Dane County Credit Union
    Diamond Credit Union
    East Wisconsin Savings Bank
    Educational Community Credit Union
    Farmers Bank
    First Alliance Credit Union
    First Bank & Trust Company
    First Federal Savings Bank of Twin Falls
    First National Bank & Trust Company of Weatherford
    First State Bank of Middlebury
    Fox Valley Savings Bank
    Greater Kinston Credit Union
    Hanscom Federal Credit Union
    Home City Federal Savings Bank
    Hondo National Bank
    Indiana Members Credit Union
    INTRUST Bank
    Kemba Financial Credit Union
    Land of Lincoln Credit Union
    Laramie Plains Federal Credit Union
    LCNB National Bank
    Liberty Savings Bank, FSB
    Local Government Federal Credit Union
    Mississippi Federal Credit Union
    Montgomery Country Employees Federal Credit Union
    MVB Bank Inc
    Neighbors Credit Union
    New Horizon Federal Credit Union
    NorState Federal Credit Union
    North State Bank
    NW Preferred Federal Credit Union
    OMNI Community Credit Union
    Pinnacle Bank Sioux City
    Pinnacle Bank Texas
    Pinnacle Bank Wyoming
    Quad City Bank and Trust
    Republic Bank & Trust Company
    San Antonio Federal Credit Union
    SCE Federal Credit Union
    Sharon Credit Union
    South Shore Bank
    State Employees Credit Union
    Sun East Federal Credit Union
    Sunrise Banks
    Texas Capital Bank
    The Bank of Missouri
    TruWest Credit Union
    Vantage West Credit Union
    Wayne Bank
    Wilson Bank & Trust
    Apple is committed to an international expansion of Apple Pay, having launched the mobile payments service in Australia and Canada last month in partnership with American Express. Apple Pay is also coming to Hong Kong, Singapore and Spain in 2016, and is rumored to launch in China by February 2016.

On the merchant side, Cinnabon, Chili's, Domino's, KFC and Starbucks will support Apple Pay in the U.S. starting in 2016.

Article Link: Apple Pay Gains Support for BJ's Wholesale Club Credit Cards and 66 New U.S. Issuers

2. h4ck macrumors regular

shouldn't it be "BJ's Wholesale Club Credit Cards and 66 New U.S. Issuers now support Apple Pay"?
    it's up to the banks to support the technology, not the technology to support the banks?

3. ncstatered21 macrumors regular

State Employees Credit Union...FINALLY!

4. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

I noticed my local KFC already has NFC readers just last week. I asked if they worked, and the employee told me "No. I don't know if we'll ever turn it on."

I guess this article answers the question - it'll be turned on sometime next year.

5. Ballis macrumors 6502a

6. J. Jizzle macrumors regular

I used Apple Pay for the first time yesterday at my local McDonald's. I am quite impressed at how fast and easy it is. Funny thing is that the cashier was blown away that I had an iPhone. She said I was the first person to use Apple Pay, and they've had it since it came out last year...

7. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

I'm beginning to think Ally Bank won't ever get on board with this...

8. SPNarwhal macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

This is stupid. I'm waiting for Fidelity Investments to accept ApplePay, but they just haven't yet. Their website says they plan to, but it's said that for the last year or so since ApplePay came out.

They're a big company. I don't get it.

9. lincolntran macrumors 6502a

lincolntran

ApplePay is taking over the world and then there're some stupid stores decided to make their own payment system that nobody will use..........

10. GlennF macrumors newbie

I have been using Apply Pay at BJ's for several months already. In my experience apple pay works at locations with the NFC icon the payment terminal regardless of whether they are listed as an 'Apple Pay' merchant.

Could someone explain this?

11. h4ck macrumors regular

this has been my experience as well. basically if i see a reader, i put my phone on it. worst thing that happens is they make you sign a receipt.

12. swarmster macrumors 6502a

swarmster

That's how it works; Apple Pay is compatible with standard NFC protocols. This article is about registering BJ's branded credit cards within Apple Pay, not the store adding NFC support to its registers.

I think it would be nice if Apple Pay started working with more store cards, though. As in, the BJ's membership card. Getting rid of credit cards is nice, but getting rid of the various loyalty cards will really start slimming down wallets.

13. thebeans macrumors 6502

This article is not about MERCHANTS who accept Apple Pay. It is about ISSUERS (banks, credit unions, credit cards, debit cards, etc). BJs Store credit cards can now be added to Apple Pay. This is different from the BJs stores accepting Apple Pay as a form of payment at checkout.

14. leptontec macrumors newbie

You'd still have to carry a physical BJ's membership card (which is printed on your BJ's credit card.)

For this to actually eliminate a card in my wallet, ApplePay would have to support loyalty cards so they could transmit my membership card number as well as my credit card info.

15. 2457282 Suspended

The very slow acceptance by merchants... Like the old chinese water torture. The good news is that it is continuing to roll out and it is getting traction. The bad news comes in two parts. First is those merchants that have NFC but refuse to accept Apple Pay, just because. The second bad news is that as merchants are switching readers, they are confused by the chip and dip and the NFC. It seem like it will take a while to get them to even understand how to use the new systems. It has been frustrating at several vendors even with the chip readers. My hope is that by the time the iphone 7 comes out, things will finally be shaken out and all will be good. Pretty much a two years, but it will be worth it once it is ubiquitous.

16. blairh macrumors 68040

blairh

17. bommai macrumors 6502a

bommai

I have had my iPhone 6s Plus for more than 2 weeks and I have not been to a store that supports it yet. I tried it in homedepot but did not work. They said others have used it but it did not work for me. Could my phone have a problem?

18. AManInACan macrumors member

Just try it! Seriously, I've been to places that claim their system doesn't do chip cards or Apple Pay, but if there isn't a line behind me I'll bring up Apple Pay and try it anyway. I've had it work at two places in the last month where the clerks didn't know their system could do it. They were more excited than I was! Worst case is you have to get out your card and swipe anyway.

19. AManInACan macrumors member

Your phone might have a problem, but it's way more likely that you don't have the Apple Pay configured correctly or you didn't activate it at the right time. I'd go someplace that's used to taking it (McDonald's and Panera Bread for example) and try it there where the clerks have some familiarity with it. Also, read these instructions to make sure you got it set up right on the phone: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201239

20. raydragon macrumors newbie

raydragon

State Employees' Credit Union! Finally! (I got tired of calling them every time a list of new issuers was released; as conservative as SECU are, I didn't hold out much hope, frankly). All good to go; on my way to BJ's to try it out.

21. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

Eh. I have enough problems just getting Apple Pay to come up in the first place where I know it to work. Don't want to screw around at a place where it may or may not work.

22. macnewbie91, Dec 15, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2015

macnewbie91 macrumors 6502

macnewbie91

Sometimes I regret growing up in the United States. I'm probably the only person within 1,000 miles that has a contact-less card, which also work on the same exact readers Apple Pay does.

The fact that I get funny looks when using my phone or contact-less card at the register irritates me.

Perhaps if we weren't so dumb in this country, we'd realize everyone else in the world is already doing this stuff as an everyday norm.

Apple Pay does support loyalty cards. Where have you been?

See: Wegmans Shopper's Club Card & Walgreen's Card.

You're really going to ask a brain dead KFC cashier whether or not they support mobile payments? Best bet is to not ask any cashier if they accept mobile payments... Because most of them don't have a clue in the world on how to even wipe their butt after they defecate.

23. AManInACan macrumors member

Here's something that might help. It's the best locator app I've found. You can set it to filter "contactless payment" and it stays on that setting. It doesn't show every single Apple Pay location, but it makes a good list/map of places.

https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/consumers/get-support/mastercard-nearby.html

24. Beerstalker macrumors 6502

Apple pay does support loyalty cards now. I believe Walgreens is the only company that has implemented it so far though. Maybe BJs will be soon?

25. patent10021 macrumors 68030

patent10021