Apple Pay Holdout Target Launches New In-App Mobile Payments System

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 4, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Target today launched its own payments platform, allowing customers to pay for purchases in Target stores using a new Wallet feature in the dedicated Target app available on iOS and Android devices.

Target's Wallet feature lets customers pay with their Target REDCard and get Cartwheel discounts and benefits all in one phone scan during checkout.

[​IMG]

To use the feature, Target customers need to add a Target REDCard to the Wallet in the Target app. REDCard is Target's store-branded credit card, which offers customers discounts on purchases.

When checking out in a retail store, Target customers will need to open up the Target app, tap on Wallet, scan coupon barcodes and then scan the wallet barcode to make a purchase.

Target's payments service is a barcode-based system, similar to Walmart's dedicated Walmart Pay option, which uses QR codes. While Walmart Pay supports any major credit, debit, pre-paid or Walmart gift card, Target's Wallet appears to be limited to its own REDCards. Target claims that its new Wallet feature is up to four times faster than other payment types when checking out.
    Target, like Walmart, is one of the few remaining major companies that have opted not to adopt Apple Pay, Apple's mobile payments service.

As a result, Apple Pay is not available in Target's retail stores, but Target does offer Apple Pay as a payment option in the Target app when making online purchases.

Target is a founding member of the Merchant Customer Exchange (MCX), a now defunct consortium of retailers that planned to launch a payment platform called CurrentC to compete with Apple Pay. CurrentC has been delayed indefinitely, and many MCX members like Best Buy and Rite-Aid have begun accepting Apple Pay.

Earlier this year, Target said it had "no plans" to add in-store support for Apple Pay.

Article Link: Apple Pay Holdout Target Launches New In-App Mobile Payments System

2. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

3. Kaibelf macrumors 68020

Kaibelf

Annoying and inconvenient, but it will work for people who largely shop there and stick with the Red Card.

4. Will.O.Bie macrumors 6502

Will.O.Bie

Defiant till the end. I gotta give them credit for doing things their way and not following what the majority of contactless payment systems are using now.

5. AceFernalld macrumors 68000

AceFernalld

6. Phonephreak macrumors 6502a

Phonephreak

7. iLoveMyApple macrumors 6502a

iLoveMyApple

I used it the other day and I liked how I could pay and use any coupons on Cartwheel all at the same time. Plus I have the Target debit card and I’d rather save my 5% than use my regular debit card with Apple Pay and not save my 5%.

8. NinjaHERO macrumors 6502a

NinjaHERO

I refuse to open a separate app for every company I do business with. Apple pay is still my preferred method. I hope all of these companies come around. It's so convenient.

9. CrystalQuest76 Suspended

i have read that the more credit cards a consumer possess the more likely they are to be in debt and deeper in debt. Store credit cards are known for having the higher interest rates than bank issue cards.

10. TallGuyGT macrumors 6502

TallGuyGT

That does not sound faster than double clicking my Apple Watch and then holding it up to the reader. I still get comments from people in line when I use Apple Pay, impressed at how quick it is.

11. tekcor macrumors member

What? I've used Apply Pay in Target's app before.

12. Jayson A macrumors 68000

Yeah! Good idea Target! Let's just make more apps and make things even more complicated for the customers. Let's just download an app for each store we shop at so that we can use their version of mobile payment instead of just using one universal method.

I wish companies would get it through their heads that we should STANDARDIZE stuff like this and let EVERYONE use it. Imagine if USB were exclusive to Apple or having to buy a samsung video player to play samsung discs instead of blu-ray. Imagine if each company had it's own movie format? Oh, I want a certain movie, but it's not available for my specific device... darn.

Everyone needs to use ONE THING.

13. dontwalkhand macrumors 603

dontwalkhand

Coming from the company that just got hacked and have the slowest chip readers in the world. I say no to shopping there at all.

14. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

It only takes REDcard?

Nope. Will never use it.

15. tmiw macrumors 68020

I'm not surprised; the US does have very high card fees compared to most other countries and many businesses don't like paying them.

What's most surprising to me is that cards are as well accepted as they are. I'd have expected there to be far more cash only businesses and ones that charge extra for card use considering the cost to run cards.

Anyway, that's why I think it'll be quite a while before one can leave their wallet at home, unfortunately.

16. 69Mustang macrumors 604

69Mustang

Target knows this. They probably saw what Walmart did, saw the success, and realized they could do the same thing. Only time will tell if it's the right decision.

17. tekcor macrumors member

After iTunes' stranglehold on the music industry until streaming services, companies are uneasy about giving them any sort of control

18. woogy12 macrumors member

Target wants to make sure they can track all of your purchases! Its valuable customer data and their buying habits. You want me to not use Apple Pay. then Target you gotta pay me (discounts).

19. kingpushup macrumors regular

NFC Payments of whatever sort are rapidly gaining... and I am most surprised that Target is following Walmart, when Target most needs customers.

Amazon is seriously crushing it - if I were to speculate, and nice to see Walmart enter the quick-ship market.

But how has Target innovated recently? Curious and hopeful that they are remaining competitive...

20. lenard macrumors 6502

21. tmiw macrumors 68020

Their app only supports the REDcard, which I presume costs them less to run than a regular debit or credit card. It's why they offer 5% back on Target purchases using it.

22. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

So Walmart has their own, and there is CVS Pay. Now target has theirs.

23. CrystalQuest76 Suspended

Target's executives have the goal of increasing the profits for the company and increase the bonuses they take home for themselves. They do not have any incentive to increase the convenience for a small group of tech oriented customers. Their profits do not increase from transactions that occur with the use of Apple Pay.

24. elistan macrumors 6502a

In VISA I trust. Or MasterCard.