Apple Pay Launch in the Netherlands Appears Imminent

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple Pay will likely launch in the Netherlands in the very near future, as the service has now been elevated to "beta" status internally at Apple ahead of its much-anticipated rollout in the country. The server-side change was first spotted by WolfMeister's Small Tools and confirmed by MacRumors.

Earlier this month, Dutch bank ING revealed that Apple Pay is "coming soon" to the Netherlands. Apple has since confirmed the upcoming launch on its Dutch website, but without providing a specific timeframe.

Apple Pay has been gradually expanding across Europe and the Middle East, launching in Poland, Norway, Kazakhstan, Belgium, Germany, Czech Republic, Saudi Arabia, Austria, and Iceland over the last year. The Netherlands is one of the most populous countries in Europe that is still awaiting Apple Pay.

Apple Pay is also coming soon to select banks in Hungary and Luxembourg, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Estonia, Greece, Lithuania, Liechtenstein, Latvia, Malta, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, and Slovenia.

Apple Pay can be used anywhere contactless payments are accepted with a compatible iPhone or Apple Watch.

(Thanks, LocalITNerd!)

Article Link: Apple Pay Launch in the Netherlands Appears Imminent

rmoliv

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2017
How do you check the “status” of the service and what do you mean by “server-side change”?

justperry

macrumors G4
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Added a smart Link under the iPhone image, says "Open up a bank account", ING will probably gain quite a few customers.
You will get a notification when it launches, must be this or next week I guess.

Screenshot 2019-05-16 at 16.45.39.png

Reactions: MLVC

IT Nerd

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2019
Found this on Dutch site iCulture, apparently this shows it:

https://smp-device-content.apple.com/static/region/v2/config-beta.json
Correct, this is API which used for beta testing.
The website mentioned in the article makes 2 requests to Apple's API. One is countries with roll-outed Apple Pay and the second is countries which are in beta testing. This API is used by Wallet application to determine the possibility of using Apple Pay, also card networks, configuration of gateways and etc.

justperry

macrumors G4
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.

giebe

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2014
Germany
Hopefully ING also introduces Apple Pay in Germany at the same time. As far as I know ING needed some time in their IT infrastructure to streamline it across countries. So it could launch everywhere then.

Reactions: MaxSto

IT Nerd

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2019
That's also on that Apple page about Apple Pay in the Netherlands. Too bad they're not doing both. Hope they'll change that in the future.
Oh, my bad didn't notice that.

I think they will, the same was in Russia if I'm not mistaken. The first bank had an exclusive right to rollout Apple Pay first. And this bank provided support of only MasterCard, but after some time other banks & networks like Visa were connected to service.

iTom17

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2013
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
The ING 'Bankieren' app in the Netherlands has received a small update, now supporting Wallet! It is however not possible yet to add your card to it. But I wouldn't be surprised if this were to happen later today (Friday), or at least next week. But I'm betting on today!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.