Apple Pay Launches in The Netherlands With Dutch Bank ING

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 11, 2019 at 1:49 AM.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple Pay officially went live in The Netherlands today, with Dutch bank ING leading the charge to bring Apple's digital payment system to debit and credit card users in the country.

[​IMG]

With Apple Pay on iPhone, Apple Watch, iPad and Mac, ING bank customers with Maestro debit cards in The Netherlands can make purchases with their digital wallet in stores, in apps and on websites.

ING customers can activate Apple Pay in the ING Mobile Banking App and add their debit card to the Wallet. Apple Pay works wherever it is possible to make contactless payments, in web shops and in apps.

According to Apple's regional Apple Pay web page, Apple Pay can be used in The Netherlands with several online and high street retailers including Adidas, ALDI, Amac, ARKET, BCC, Burger King, Capi, cool blue, COS, Decathlon, Douglas, H&M, Jumbo, Lidl, McDonalds, Starbucks, and others.

Apple Pay has been gradually expanding across Europe and the Middle East, launching in Poland, Norway, Kazakhstan, Belgium, Germany, Czech Republic, Saudi Arabia, Austria, and Iceland over the last year. Up until today, The Netherlands was one of the most populous countries in Europe that was still awaiting Apple Pay.

(Thanks, Melvin!)

Article Link: Apple Pay Launches in The Netherlands With Dutch Bank ING

2. Geert76 macrumors 68000

Finally we are accepted as First World citizens here in the Netherlands :p

oh, for those who don't know where to find The Netherlands, we are that little dot somewhere in the middle of Europe (use the zoom function on your iPhone :cool: )

And no, we are not the capital of Copenhagen.

3. needfx macrumors 68040

needfx

would have never imagined the Dutch being self-conscious about their placement on the globe and in general

4. rmoliv, Jun 11, 2019 at 2:14 AM
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2019 at 2:37 AM

rmoliv macrumors 6502a

Good. Still waiting for it to launch here despite the announcement back in early April that it was coming soon. Have been using it though with a UK issued Monese card.

5. itsmilo, Jun 11, 2019 at 2:36 AM
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2019 at 8:58 AM

itsmilo macrumors 68020

itsmilo

What is taking ING so long to roll this out in Germany ...

6. chfilm, Jun 11, 2019 at 2:40 AM

chfilm macrumors 68000

chfilm

Exactly my question too!

7. tabilo, Jun 11, 2019 at 2:46 AM

tabilo macrumors newbie

Two possible reasons: Different systems that are not yet compatible with tokenization of cards or the contract with Apple

8. whatta macrumors newbie

I hope this means AP is coming to ING Belgium too..

9. Cristim74 macrumors regular

Cristim74

Waiting for Apple Pay and ING to launch in Romania too now!

10. Totemsflare macrumors member

Totemsflare

Finally! Already have my Apple Watch and iPhone setup!

11. gixxerfool macrumors 65816

gixxerfool

I wonder if I could have paid my speeding fine through Apple Pay Cash instead of the wire transfer. ;)

12. giebe macrumors member

giebe

As far as I know from a ING employee, it took so long in general because they streamlined the systems to one. Shouldn’t take long now for a launch in Germany.

13. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Been using Garmin Pay (ABN/AMRO) with my D2 Delta for a few months now, and I love it!
    Works everywhere where you can pay contactless.

14. Rivanov macrumors regular

"Apple Pay officially went live in The Netherlands today, with Dutch bank ING leading the charge to bring Apple's digital payment system to debit and credit card users in the country."

Only debitcard for now.

15. FamVR macrumors newbie

One note:

All Dutch banks issue Maestro (read: MasterCard) branded debit cards. Only the SNS Bank and ING Bank offer an optional V Pay (read: Visa) branded card.

Also. You can pay anywhere with Apple Pay, as long as NFC is supported. Which is basically everywhere these days.

16. tommysiamese macrumors newbie

17. Murkrage macrumors newbie

Murkrage

We're not... well most of us anyways :).

Which is awesome because contactless payments have been a huge thing for the last few years. There's not a lot of places that don't accept contactless, which means Apple Pay is instantly usable nearly everywhere.

18. rmoliv macrumors 6502a

Where can I access that Dutch (?) website listing all the countries with Apple Pay and the ones in beta testing? Thanks.

19. Jeroen macrumors newbie

Not sure what website you're after, but you can get it from these URLs as well.

Production: https://smp-device-content.apple.com/static/region/v2/config.json
    Acceptance: [not working] https://smp-device-content.apple.com/static/region/v2/config-beta.json

It seems like they either changed the beta URL or they took it offline. Or maybe there aren't any countries in beta at this point in time so they took it down temporarily. In any case, those are/were the URLs.

20. DinkThifferent macrumors newbie

DinkThifferent

It is kind of stupid that Maestro cards work but Mastercards don't. Even from ING. Yeah I know it is debit vs. credit but still, technologically it should be 99,9% the same.

21. Sasparilla macrumors 65816

At least here in the U.S., the difference between a debit card - Maestro for you (almost no transaction fee) and credit card transactions can be 2-3% of the transaction...so I can see the merchants or banks (whoever would be on the hook for that transaction fee difference) wanting to keep it Maestro if possible.

22. tabilo macrumors newbie

For the banks in Europe the difference is absolute 0.1% (0.2% debit, 0.3% credit). MasterCard Debit / Visa Debit is the way to go, since the card schemes want to get rid of Maestro/VPay mid-term. Historically that was diffeeent and Maestro was slightly less expensive.

23. ElectricPotato macrumors regular

ElectricPotato

Introducing the new Gemak Pro. Staan sold separately.

24. dexterie macrumors regular

dexterie

It's taking them so long...it's a shame.
    I've been using it with Revolut, but...not the same.

25. n-evo macrumors 65816

n-evo

It's better than "Oh my gawwwwddd I just love it sooo much here in the country of Amsterdam!"