Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TaviDuprix

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2016
Tennessee
I use Apple Pay frequently but I can't say that I have used it in a drive-thru. Can someone explain how that has worked at a fast food restaurant?

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
I absolutely love Chickfila. I wholeheartedly recommend anyone that hasn't tried it before to give it a chance when you're near one. It's may be fast food, but I believe it's quality is among the highest in the industry. Doesn't make you feel sick afterwards (like McDonalds does). Fairly good ingredients too.

I had Chickfila for dinner tonight. Actually.
[doublepost=1471482249][/doublepost]
I still won't go. Not only are they overpriced, but I'm still sore about the whole anti gay thing from a few years back. I won't order from Papa John's for the same reason.

Pity, cause Apple Pay is a big bonus.
I don't support gay marriage but I still get coffee from Starbucks.

Have you had the chance to try Chickfila before? So good!

truthertech

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2016
I'm not sure about Apple Pay. At first I thought it was amazing but I rarely hear of people actually using it anymore.
I know people on here probably do but most ordinary people probably don't.
It's always such a guess whether or not a store will accept it and if it will work.

I think the problem is that people still have to carry their wallet for things like their drivers license. If Apple managed to replace the entire wallet with things like a digital drivers license people might use it more.

You're making a common mistake of drawing conclusions from your own limited anecdotal data. Per Tim Cook, Apple Pay is growing at the rate of a million users per week. There is also a reason that it can now be used at 2.5 million locations worldwide

poppe

macrumors 68020
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills

chickfila.jpg
Starting on August 19, Apple Pay will be available in Chick-fil-A restaurants across the United States, allowing fast food buyers to make their purchases both in-store and at the drive thru using Apple's payment service.

The news was shared by the Chick-fil-A Twitter account following an inquiry by AppleInsider writer Roger Fingas, who had heard a tip that support was already rolling out at some Chick-fil-A locations.

Chick-fil-A was first announced as an Apple Pay partner in February of 2016, and support was supposed to roll out shortly after, but it has taken several months for the restaurant to implement Apple Pay. Chick-fil-A will also be accepting Android Pay starting on August 19.

Chick-fil-a rival KFC, which also specializes in fried chicken, began accepting Apple Pay at the beginning of June.

Apple Pay is now officially accepted by more than 100 retailers in the United States, along with all locations that allow contactless payments.

Article Link: Apple Pay Launching at Chick-fil-A on August 19

Weird. UCLA and Play Vista Chick-Fil-A have all had apple pay for at least 6 months.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Chick-Fil-A is, in my opinion, the best fast/casual chicken food restaurant around. Great chicken, milkshakes, fries, breakfast, etc.

The best fast/casual restaurant for a burger is Five Guys without a doubt.
My local five guys now just got Apple Pay. They slowly are popping up left and right. Surprised no announcement for this lol.

In N Out got new Apple Pay capable terminals but they don't do anything but allow for a swipe.

B4U

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
I like Macrumors but maybe we can have a separate news feed for the posts about every retailer that's contemplating ApplePay or every artist that's considering Apple Music.

Throw the watchbands in that feed too, while we're at it.
And the poke ball...

On the other hand, there is only 1 Chick-Fil-A at my lovely state...AND it is in a college campus...

PowerBook-G5

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2013
My local five guys now just got Apple Pay. They slowly are popping up left and right. Surprised no announcement for this lol.

In N Out got new Apple Pay capable terminals but they don't do anything but allow for a swipe.

If my local Five Guys added Apple Pay and had milkshakes, it would be a amazing. Some stores have them [milkshakes], but others sadly do not.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
If my local Five Guys added Apple Pay and had milkshakes, it would be a amazing. Some stores have them [milkshakes], but others sadly do not.
It's coming. They did a big POS upgrade because of the chip cards and along with it came Apple Pay.
[doublepost=1471483675][/doublepost]
I use Apple Pay frequently but I can't say that I have used it in a drive-thru. Can someone explain how that has worked at a fast food restaurant?
I have used this at Starbucks and McDonalds all the time. They just pass you the card reader in your car, like in other countries, and when it says approved you hand the card reader back to them and they give you your items and an (unwanted) receipt.

Starbucks you kind of have to tell them that you want to see the card reader otherwise they would try to scan a barcode off your phone instead which is the Starbucks mobile pay., and not Apple Pay.

I expect a lot of other drive throughs to start passing the card reader to the person in the car very soon as more chip cards start requiring PINs, whether credit or debit.

In other countries like the UK, drive throughs you get passed the reader so it's nothing new to the world, it's just a new idea in the US.

Last edited:
Reactions: TaviDuprix

Treq

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2009
Santa Monica, CA
I don't support gay marriage but I still get coffee from Starbucks.

Have you had the chance to try Chickfila before? So good!

You know that you don't have to get married to someone of the same sex right? I mean, it's not mandatory. Oh, and they aren't any better than the chicken sandwiches at Wendy's. And Wendy's doesn't put a pickle on theirs... I mean, wtf... A pickle in a chicken sandwich... Who does that?!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
You know that you don't have to get married to someone of the same sex right? I mean, it's not mandatory. Oh, and they aren't any better than the chicken sandwiches at Wendy's. And Wendy's doesn't put a pickle on theirs... I mean, wtf... A pickle in a chicken sandwich... Who does that?!
I believe the pickle might be more of a southern type of thing. But even if it's not really based on that, it seems plenty of people like it. Given that it's fairly easy to get it with or without something based on how one likes it, pretty much at any restaurant, it's really not much of an issue most of the time for most.

Treq

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2009
Santa Monica, CA
I believe the pickle might be more of a southern type of thing. But even if it's not really based on that, it seems plenty of people like it. Given that it's fairly easy to get it with or without something based on how one likes it, pretty much at any restaurant, it's really not much of an issue most of the time for most.
Well, it's the principle of the thing. And the sandwiches I've had weren't all that great. If you add to that their stance of forcing their religious beliefs on their employees, I'd rather have a sandwich from Wendy's or kfc or wherever.

tmiw

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
Unless something's changed recently Chick-fil-A uses the same terminals in the drive through as inside the store, which aren't exactly all that convenient (or possible?) to hand to customers.

You're making a common mistake of drawing conclusions from your own limited anecdotal data. Per Tim Cook, Apple Pay is growing at the rate of a million users per week. There is also a reason that it can now be used at 2.5 million locations worldwide

How many of those users are outside the US? Because US usage isn't all that great (at least with debit cards); page 13 of that slide deck shows 0.7 uses per registered debit card per month, with Android and Samsung pay managing 1.7-1.8 uses per month.

Reactions: Jmausmuc

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
Like I said, they're overpriced. There's a little place down here called Champys that beats them six ways to Sunday. A day, incidentally, on which they happen to be open.
I'm gonna have to try out some Champys. I might be traveling through Alabama in a couple of months so I'll be on the lookout. Thanks for the heads up!
You don't HAVE to get married to someone of the same sex. In certain states, same sex couples can get married (I think the bill got passed in some states? I'm not sure). But I personally believe that the institution of marriage is between a man and a woman. My beliefs. Your beliefs. This country is a country of many beliefs! But I gotta say--right on about the pickles. I take those things off of my sandwiches ASAP.

Reactions: kwikdeth

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I've never visited a Chick-fil-A. By the name alone it sounds disgusting. It sounds like a brand of reconstituted chickenmeat blend used to sculpt nuggets and other novelty puréed-animal shapes. Chick-Fill-A, like Soylent Pink for chickens. And that logo doesn't help.

If you've never been there then you shouldn't comment on what you clearly do not know. CFA uses real chicken breasts, not formed meat that some other fast food places use. Not sure what problem you have with their logo, but it's been pretty much the same for at least 40 years. But most important, CFA is de-lish-ious. It's the only fast food place I'll even set foot in. Love the spicy version. Great wraps too and awesome waffle fries.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Well, it's the principle of the thing. And the sandwiches I've had weren't all that great. If you add to that their stance of forcing their religious beliefs on their employees, I'd rather have a sandwich from Wendy's or kfc or wherever.
So it's not really the pickles.

Reactions: haxrnick and TimSHB

Treq

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2009
Santa Monica, CA
So it's not really the pickles.
It's mostly the pickles. I wasn't going to go there because of the pickle thing before the whole religious bs came out. Now...
[doublepost=1471485851][/doublepost]
I'm gonna have to try out some Champys. I might be traveling through Alabama in a couple of months so I'll be on the lookout. Thanks for the heads up!

You don't HAVE to get married to someone of the same sex. In certain states, same sex couples can get married (I think the bill got passed in some states? I'm not sure). But I personally believe that the institution of marriage is between a man and a woman. My beliefs. Your beliefs. This country is a country of many beliefs! But I gotta say--right on about the pickles. I take those things off of my sandwiches ASAP.

Yeah, you believe it's between a man and a woman, so you get married to someone of the opposite sex. They don't believe that, so they get married to whoever they want. Why should a anyone try to force others to comply with their beliefs. Beliefs are between the person and their god. Not between the person, their god, and some random strangers they have never met.

triscuitbiscuit

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2007
I have been using Apple Pay at Chick-Fil A for at least a year (and it is advertised as such... in 3 different states nonetheless)- I am not sure how this is news...

drewyboy

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
Thank you all for your inputs. Sounds tasty. Icky name, but I will overlook it when the moment comes.

It's a play off the filet mignon. A chicken filet. It's actually quite a good play on the words for the name.
[doublepost=1471486395][/doublepost]
A pickle in a chicken sandwich... Who does that?!

Chik-fil-a apparently, and it is oh so good :)

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
I still won't go. Not only are they overpriced, but I'm still sore about the whole anti gay thing from a few years back. I won't order from Papa John's for the same reason.

I honestly don't understand this boycotts. Nothing against you specifically, but when I buy coffee from Sbux, I buy coffee. When I buy a chicken sandwhich, I buy a chicken sandwhich. And when I buy an Apple product, I buy an Apple product. I am not saving the world.
There is absolutely no ethical weight on the customer, except that I believe that many think that they are somewhat activists and socially active just by avoiding a shop.

If I had to boycott based on things I disagree with I would have no food, no drinks, no house, no possessions...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.