Apple Pay Today UK!

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by meikdunj, Jul 13, 2015.

1. meikdunj macrumors regular

The day is finally here! Used Apple Pay this morning on the way to work to pay for a coffee. Wasn't quite brave enough (lol) to use my watch but worked seamlessly and very easily on my phone. Anyone used there watch yet? How well does it work compared to the phone?

2. tomaustin44 macrumors regular

Well mine doesn't seem to work at all, Card registered perfectly on phone but isn't on Watch. Nothing in passbook and double tap does nothing. Ideas?

3. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I think you have to specifically add the card to the watch from the passbook and apple pay section of the apple watch app. I can't test it because I'm with Barclays :(

4. meikdunj thread starter macrumors regular

You need to register cards on the watch through the watch app on your phone.

5. sam3020 macrumors 6502a

sam3020

Anyone else getting this?

Attached Files:

6. tomaustin44 macrumors regular

Worked like a charm! Just bought some Jaffa cakes! Trouble is having to tell the checkout people you want to pay by card when all you're standing there with is a watch on your wrist. They look very confused.

7. a1psx macrumors newbie

Im getting cannot connect to apple watch error from the watch app, although updating haptic makes it vibrate - so connection is there. Will try a reboot.

8. BaggieBoy macrumors 6502

BaggieBoy

Not supported on watchOS Beta 3 according to the release notes.

9. sohilpandya macrumors member

sohilpandya

Anyone Travelled on the tube or the bus yet using this? I wonder what those ticket inspectors will be thinking when we flash out our phones for them.

BTW i restarted my phone in the morning and apple pay was there in the passbook app.

10. Nmeyrick macrumors member

Just used it this morning with Amex on my watch with the bus and tube (Liverpool Street). Bus driver looked confused then grinned! I did have a heart stopping moment waiting for the barriers at the tube but then they opened and all was good. Reaching my left wrist to the reader on the right of the barrier was a little awkward but not to bad.

Welcome to the future!

11. pacmania1982 macrumors 6502a

pacmania1982

I added both Nationwide VISA debit cards to my Passbook this morning without issue, but have yet to actually pay for something.

I'm thinking about just going to McDonalds up the road to try it out :D :D :D

I did pay for something on Sunday with my Apple Watch though, but it wasn't using Apple Pay, it was using my Greggs card. There was a free donut offer on, so I showed the guy behind the counter the offer and asked which donut it was. He said any of them and then asked if I had a barcode, to which I presented my Apple Watch to the reader. A split second later there was a bleep and it was all done. He grinned and said 'That's so cool!'. I walked out feeling pleased with myself!!!

12. jannette macrumors 6502

Just used Amex in Waitrose - worked fine but the receipt would not print as the card reader wanted me to remove my card!
    Supervisor came and could not get it to work either but as it showed the amount paid on my iPhone, they accepted it. Obviously their system needs tweaking.

13. peskaa, Jul 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2015

peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Apple Pay requires a passcode on the watch, grrr. I was hoping to avoid that.

Set up 4 cards on phone and 2 on my watch, off to use it on the tube in a short while.

14. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

You don't have to worry about the ticket inspectors, you should worry about the 100's of people queueing behind you that you are holding up as you fiddle with your technology instead of slapping an Oyster card on the exit gate.

15. Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

How exactly is holding some code over the reader with the watch considered as "fiddling"? Especially when you get used to it after some time?

Are you still driving a steam machine? :rolleyes:

16. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

Are their logos in the shops with Apple pay logo on then?

17. mypyh4ooo macrumors regular

Any idea why I'm not getting the option to add a card to passbook ?

18. mypyh4ooo macrumors regular

Not working with Halifax .. Can anyone confirm that theirs is working with Halifax at all ? Barclaycard won't work I presume.

19. flipshot macrumors 6502a

Halifax and the rest of Lloyds banking group have already confirmed its not coming until the Autumn.

20. Eliottjames macrumors regular

Eliottjames

I'm seeing nothing in the passbook section of the watch app yet. I don't have my watch with me, do I need to be connected to it for the app to update on my phone?

21. mypyh4ooo macrumors regular

Oh right then I'm changing banks. Can anyone confirm which banks work with it ?

22. flipshot macrumors 6502a

Nationwide, Natwest, RBS, American Express, Santander. HSBC were meant to be today but have delayed until the end of the month.

23. pojo1806 macrumors 68000

RBS only supports Apple Pay if you have a premium account.

24. flipshot macrumors 6502a

You don't need an account with a monthly fee, just a standard account will work not basic.

http://personal.rbs.co.uk/personal/ways-to-bank-with-us-new/mobile-banking/Apple-pay.html#

25. BaggieBoy macrumors 6502

BaggieBoy

Apple Watch is not needed, in fact I can't even use my watch yet as I'm on the watchOS beta 3 release which does not support Apple PAy.

I couldn't add cards either until I went into "Find Apps for Wallet" section and then returned. I was able to add a card after that.