Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple Pay has been gradually expanding across Europe and the Middle East, launching in Poland, Norway, Kazakhstan, Belgium, Germany, Czech Republic, Saudi Arabia, Austria, and Iceland over the last year.

apple-pay-on-iphone-x.jpg

Now, mobile banking service Monese has revealed that Apple Pay is also coming soon to its cardholders in Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Estonia, Greece, Lithuania, Liechtenstein, Latvia, Malta, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, and Slovenia. Many of these countries are located in Eastern Europe.

We will soon bring #ApplePay - an easy, secure and private way to pay - to customers in:🇧🇬 Bulgaria 🇭🇷 Croatia 🇨🇾 Cyprus 🇪🇪 Estonia 🇬🇷 Greece 🇱🇹 Lithuania 🇱🇮 Liechtenstein 🇱🇻 Latvia 🇲🇹 Malta 🇵🇹 Portugal 🇷🇴 Romania 🇸🇰 Slovakia🇸🇮 Slovenia pic.twitter.com/QFleLbs0Jl - Monese (@monese) May 15, 2019

Apple Pay is also nearing launch in the Netherlands, Hungary, and Luxembourg for a total of 16 upcoming countries. Apple CEO Tim Cook has said that Apple Pay will be available in more than 40 regions by the end of 2019.

Apple Pay first launched in the United States in October 2014 and has since expanded to dozens of countries and territories. The service can be used anywhere contactless payments are accepted with a compatible iPhone or Apple Watch, and it is also accepted by select apps and websites.

Article Link: Apple Pay Will Soon Launch in 16 More Countries, Including Bulgaria and Croatia

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
I wish my smaller hometown bank would support it. I asked them about it and said they have no plans to offer Apple Pay in the future. I’ve been considering changing banks.

stonekirby

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2019
The Netherlands...finally, can't wait to try it out!

Although I can't complain, I'd love to have that Apple Card thingie too...oh well.

Reactions: MLVC

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
Yet still no mention of Apple Pay Cash outside of the US...

That’s because Apple Pay Cash is backed by a bank. It took forever for these foreign banks to even agree to basic Apple Pay.
[doublepost=1557925693][/doublepost]
I wish my smaller hometown bank would support it. I asked them about it and said they have no plans to offer Apple Pay in the future. I’ve been considering changing banks.

I ended up going to a credit union for that reason.

baneslo

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2019
Iphone XS is premium phone with premium fuctions... But most importatnt of them don't work outside of US. If you expect someone will expensive phone for 1.2k € you need to offer him all functions available to work in his country. I am big fan of Apple but i am still using Iphone 7 plus and still wondering if i upgrade to latest iPhone or take some other make.

I’m in the US, and I don’t know if it’s my imagination, but I’m seeing NFC in more and more locations. Maybe about 50% of places I shop. Not amazing, but getting better. I still rarely use it, because I often don’t notice till I already have my card out (or don’t want to draw attention by paying with my watch, and then sometimes it doesn’t work... haha). But when I start getting that 3% back I’ll definitely make the effort

IIGS User

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2019
Everywhere except Puerto Rico!

1: At first I thought you were joking or miss informed. Then I did my own research and was honestly floored that Apple Pay simply is not supported in PR. I always knew the relationship between governments in PR and the mainland were an odd circumstance, but wow.

I asked my medical team recently about travel outside the mainland, and they recommended PR for it's availability of advanced medical care should the need arise, and the fact that my health insurance is accepted as "in network" in most hospitals on the island. My insurance has generous overseas and medical evacuation coverage anyway, and I also purchase evacuation insurance when I travel due to my heart condition.

Oddly enough, I can also legally carry a concealed firearm in PR due to my previous and current employment. But I guess I better bring my AMEX....

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
This is great but I'm surprised that it's taken so many years after Apple Pay's launch for this to happen.

My credit union took forever to support it. You could sign up for a card with no annual fee from a place like Chase without having to change banks.

I’m in the US, and I don’t know if it’s my imagination, but I’m seeing NFC in more and more locations. Maybe about 50% of places I shop. Not amazing, but getting better. I still rarely use it, because I often don’t notice till I already have my card out (or don’t want to draw attention by paying with my watch, and then sometimes it doesn’t work... haha). But when I start getting that 3% back I’ll definitely make the effort

I make it a point to use Apple Pay everywhere I can and things are SO much better than they used to be. I use it almost every day but there are still plenty of places I can't use it. It's nice to see big places like Target and CVS starting to catch up.

DeanL

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2014
London
Yet still no mention of Apple Pay Cash outside of the US...
Because in a lot of countries like Canada, we have better solutions like Interac E-Transfer, which doesn't even require interaction from the recipient if they have auto deposit on, and they get it directly in their bank account and not a 2nd debit card.

Alan Wynn

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2017
Iphone XS is premium phone with premium fuctions... But most importatnt of them don't work outside of US. If you expect someone will expensive phone for 1.2k € you need to offer him all functions available to work in his country. I am big fan of Apple but i am still using Iphone 7 plus and still wondering if i upgrade to latest iPhone or take some other make.

What features on the iPhone Xs are not supported outside the U.S.? In what country do you live?

truthertech

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2016
And yet big chain stores in the US like Home Depot still won't accept any contactless payment...

Yes, for some, and they are in an ever shrinking minority so the pressure will build. Apple Pay is now accepted at around 70% of locations in the US. The two biggest, Walmart and Kroger are desperately trying to get a foothold that they hope will hold against the coming Apple Pay tide. Kroger will fold first with all their grocery competitors jumping on board: Safeway, Whole Foods, Costco, Trader Joes, etc., Apple Pay friendly, and Kroger Pay a joke.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.